Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Griddle

Although my lovely wife pre-ordered me a SmokeFire for Christmas, I didn't wind up getting it as somehow she pre-ordered through the US site and I've been back and forth about ordering one since the first reviews came in. I still kind of want one, however, being realistic, since I already have a Traeger that I'm happy with, along with a Napoleon gasser and kettle, a Weber kettle, a PBC, and a Big Steel Keg, I don't really need a pellet pooper that can grill.
    To make a long story short, I've decided that what I need (ok, want) as a replacement gift is an outdoor griddle and I have some questions:
    1. Blackstone or Camp Chef, or some other brand? Note that while I love what Attjack does with his EVO, I really can't justify spending that kind of money on a griddle. :-) Seems to me that these two are pretty much a toss up, but I am leaning towards the Blackstones.
    2. I think that the 3 burner Blackstone would be a perfect size for me, although I've searched high and low and can't find hide nor hair of one here in the Great White North. I know what the answer to this question is likely going to be, but, should I drop down to the 2 burner or up to the 4? I'm leaning towards the 4 burner as I can cook less on a larger one, but I can't cram more onto a smaller one.
    3. Again with Blackstone. I kind of like the look of the ProSeries 36" one that seems to be exclusive to Walmart. My only concern here is that while it has the Blackstone brand on it, it appears that this is private licensed to Walmart as it doesn't even appear on the Blackstone site. It does get great reviews so I'm wondering if this is really even a concern. To me, it just looks more like an appliance with the drawers and the doors.
    Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I figure with the prices difference between the EX6 SmokeFire and a griddle that I can also order a whole crap load of griddle specific accessories. :-)

I went back and forth between the 3 and 4 burner model before I bought one. I ended up with the Blackstone 36 inch 4 burner. In the end, my deciding factor was that I would never regret having the extra size cooking surface and the extra burner even if I didn't need it every cook. hope this helps you decide, I can tell you I love mine. got to love a cooker versatile enough to cook everything from breakfast all the way to dessert without missing a beat.

Comment

Ok, I know see the ProSeries 36" on Blackstone's web site. Since I can get that from Wally Mart here in Canada, I think that's what I'm going to order. :-)

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Your comment appeared just after I clicked Post on mine. LOL
        Oh well, I’ll leave it up for the link.

I like the look of that one as well. If I were shopping again I’d probably lean heavily towards that.

I got the 4-burner Blue Rhino Razor before Blackstone changed their grease management. I hated the old style. My brother had one. The new one is much better IMO. So I’d be torn if looking again. Blackstone certainly is the biggest player, but I have no complaints with my Razor. And I love the shelves that fold up to form the cover. Nice feature.

The ProSeries does look really nice though. Very finished and less camp ground. Here’s more info on that one. https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/s...oking-station/

Comment

The Walmart at Argentia Road and Winston Churchill by me has a Blackstone that's been sitting on the shelf for weeks now.
        I think its the 2 burner, I'd have to go over and take a look, I think it was priced at $238 again I'd have to take a look.
        Kind of a commute for you, depends how shipping costs compare.

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I've decided that the 2 burner is just too small so I'm going with the Blackstone Range Top Griddle Combo With Deep Fryer. They have them in stock and I can get free pickup at the Wally World in Peterborough.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't tell me the Walmart in Peterborough is at the corner of Brazil and Margarette Thatcher. I'm laughing hard enough at the connection between Argentina and Churchill. Ahumadora

Ok, now I think that I'm going to go for the Blackstone Range Top Griddle Combo With Deep Fryer instead. Less expensive than the ProSeries 36", still has a cabinet and a cover, and I like the versatility of the 2 side burners even though I don't do much frying. Man, I suck at making decisions. :-)

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I want the air fryer combo. I've never even used an air fryer. I'm serious. I want it because my wife says NO.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          I may or may not good at making decisions.

Cool choice. I'm with you. I haven't bought one and I've been pining for one for a couple years now. I like the idea of the deep fryer being outside to keep the stink out of the house.

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          I will need to wait a little bit to pull the trigger however. The garage attached to the house has no room to store the box until the snow melts enough to set it up and while we do have a 2nd, freestanding 2 car garage that has room, there's more snow preventing the doors from opening than I'm willing to shovel. :-)

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          pkadare I hear you on the snow, probably worse in your area though I'm sure. I have a grill on a pallet yet to assemble and review and it's been a very frustrating 'snow - melt - halfway freeze - ice layer - repeat' kind of winter, and the days that aren't snowy or raining well then it's 30mph winds and 15 degrees.... all of which has been preventing me from getting outdoor things done like this.

No one ever wished they had a smaller grill. I would go with the four burner. It really is not that much cooking space once you have everything on there and spread out. It makes it easier than trying to cram everything on to a smaller griddle. My Blackstone gets quite a bit of use, but more in the summer and fall months.

I would skip the fryer and the one with drawers. Other than the cooktop itself, Blackstone Grilldes are pretty light construction. I feel like those drawers and fryer is stuff that is just asking to be broken. The great thing about the Blackstone is the cook top, the body is cheap, but it works fine for holding up the cook top. If you want to fry outside, I would buy something that is a dedicated fryer. (which is what I did) Frying is tough on equipment Additionally, you also loose griddle space for something, it sounds like, you will not use very much.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          I would not recommend the unit with the deep fryer. I have had it and was not pleased. The grease will just not get hot enough based upon my experience. The side burners just did not have enough btu’s. Just my opinion. I agree with Spinaker here.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, thats why a gas fired stand alone unit is the best, and honestly, the safest way to go. DavidNorcross Here is what I have. And at 90,000 BTUs, there is no worry about keeping up! https://cajunfryer.com/shop/ff2r-st-...er-with-stand/

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker That’s the one that’s on my short list. Right now I’m using a CI Dutch oven on my CC Somerset IV stove. It works really well, and cleanup is a breeze. Depending on how much I end up frying will determine whether or not I pick up a dedicated fryer.

As for the build of Blackstone...you’re probably right. And given the frequency and types of roll outs they have, they’re probably betting that a lot of people will get the latest...and not keep one for decades anyway.

pkadare I think you made a good choice with the griddle with side burners and deep fryers. Even if you don't fry, you can boil or cook just about anything in a pot on those side burners. I know your Napolean may have a side burner, but these might be more BTU's, and I like the 2 burner setup as well, alongside the griddle. Makes this something you can cook a complete meal on.

The only thing I will add is to your original question regarding Blackstone versus Campchef. I like all the accessories available for the Campchef 14" and 16" stoves. You can get griddles, pizza ovens, fry on them. They seem very versatile, but I think would cost you more, and look more like "camp" equipment than the Blackstone you have selected.
        Last edited by jfmorris; March 5, 2020, 09:32 AM.

Comment

pkadare 10-4, better to have size and not need it than need it and not have it.
          Spinaker makes very valid points about the deep fryer.
          Quite frankly we just don't deep fry anymore mostly because of the afore mentioned stink in the house and the oil causing my stomach to do backflips. Doubt this would change with the Blackstone in hand so I'd personally pass on the DFer

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            Understood, but the fryer is really just component that sits on top of one of the 2 side burners and I'd definitely use the side burners so even if I never actually fry anything, I'm still ahead of the game.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            My dad taught me that years ago at fish camp. We always take a box or two of ZipLoc bags, they're great for cheese, leftover fish, etc. I put a box of quart (smaller) sized in the shopping cart, and he said "what are you doing with those?" I said 'we don't really need gallon sized, do we?'. He said "Yes. You can put a small amount in them big bags but not the other way around, and we're planning on getting a LOT of fish to put in them bags, ain't we?" Touche, dad. Same applies to cookers!

I had both the blackstone and camp chef 600. I like the camp chef better and gave the blackstone to my son in law. The camp chef is better built and the temps on the flat top seem more equal. My blackstone had a lot more hot spots using an IR

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I too have read good things about the CC.

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the input leol2. I'm probably going to stick with the Blackstone range but the price differences for the Camp Chef $600 up here are crazy. Wally World wants over $900 CDN while Cabela's has it for $549.97 CDN with free shipping. :-)

I am going to weigh in on the side of the Camp Chef. I have the Camp Chef Tahoe model, 3 - 30,000 BTU burners. I like the fact that the burners are exposed, so I can put a griddle or a BBQ box or a pizza oven on them. It just seems to be a little more versatile that the Blackstones that have the griddle top built onto the stove. Of course, I wanted the portability of the Tahoe as well. The Tahoe I got came with a CI griddle that covers one berner; I will probably add the Camp Chef griddle that covers 2 burners. This is the stove I got - I got the same deal, as a matter of fact:

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I figured as much, pkadare. The Blackstone line has some pretty nice looking appliances. Since we needed portability, I was able to get the Camp Chef; otherwise, I would have a Blackstone as well. Tell you what though, they are a kick to cook on. I took it off the rv and put it on the deck, and I use it just about every weekend. I need to post some pics, but I never seem to have my phone around when I cook on the thing.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Whoa that stove is only $134 on sale right now with a griddle included, at my Academy. That's a good deal for something with three 30,000 BTU burners.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris, that is the deal I got when I bought mine at Academy.

While doing my research, I decided that the Camp Chef was built better & I went with their 4-burner flattop. However, I bought mine a few months before Blackstone came out with their deep fryer combo unit which I would have seriously considered. I think you're making a solid choice.

Comment

I have 3 Blackstone's now. I recently found this 36" Pro Series at my local Walmart for $170 on sale. I couldn't resist. I also have a 36" that folds up for camping and a 22" table top model. I love my griddles. No problem with any of them. I like the larger ones so I can keep food warm on while preparing longer cooks or different parts of breakfast.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Man, that was a really great score @ $170.00!!!!

• Black99vette
              Black99vette commented
              Editing a comment
              Shut the front door - $170!!!! Dang nice deal. I picked up a 3 burner Pro Series a while back. I wanted this one but I couldn't justify the price of $497.

I have the 4 burner Camp Chef outdoor gas range, and am loving its versatility with the add-on options of griddle, pizza oven, etc. The quality is great.

I have no regrets not going with Blackstone, which I had first considered. Plus mine looks patio-worthy with its stainless steel enclosure. Camp Chef stopped making it, although it's still available in some big box stores. I'm loving those four 30K BTU burners.

What some Blackstones apparently have that this particular CC model does not is a backsplash. The 3 and 2 burner CC models have backsplashes but not the 4 burner. That's important for cooking grease-splattering stuff. I'll be getting a workaround for it when the weather gets nicer and I can spend more time playing with it once again.

I think you're doing the right thing, settling on a model that fits your needs and layout, and then just plugging your ears and la-la-la-ing loudly when someone mentions another possibility. Information overload can be paralyzing when it comes to decision-making. Set your specs, tick the boxes that your front runners fill, and make the choice.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; March 6, 2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here