Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackstone Griddle Rust Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackstone Griddle Rust Removal

I just picked up a 28" Blackstone Griddle (great deal, I'll post it later) and it has surface rust on all sides. Every video I've looked up has people grinding/sanding the rust off, but I have had great success restoring old metal with a vinegar & water bath. So I'm planning to soak the griddle top over night, wipe it down and season it.

My question is: is there anything unique/different about the Blackstone griddle tops that would make a vinegar & water soak a bad idea?

I see nothing wrong with your vinegar & water soak of the entire plate. However rust forms large fissures so I would also sand the cooking surfaces down with 440, 880 and on up to 2200 sand paper to get a smooth surface. Then season it as you would any cast iron.

Comment

Once you have it restored recommend maintaining it with these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	815HlPgfKBL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	3577
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	745619

I've been using them on my griddle and they make maintenance very easy.

Name:	W8V9wyU3f0Ax52grIm5OF87VqXUUg9Gqn6J9Ml0ghZljvL8JnA7o6Jde8TJ7Q3w4cI0OVj6s5wByR6Aglz3H80qoi_sLKZq4j9C87aH6YGS-iVzkECoaO-F-Q97vH6ffu2wNmGA0eEMC0Pwckbd9nIMUQ1qZ7bVnANsz0YT4BP9FqlNyldUtzg2EsBSArB5z2B8a5UvpmmIVmmzrJaAmebav6qVZr5jXFUoAP1MQbH8fZTcjK9pI2C83mTvt8I7
Views:	3417
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	745620

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Them are Ideal fer griddle maintenance.
        Rust Restoration n Recovery might require one, slightly more aggressive step, ime...

My suggestion is just be sure you have no craters or clumps of old food or old seasoning layers and be sure you have removed all the rust with whatever you have that works for you and start the seasoning process.

Comment

Offerin my ¢2 worth.

Been cookin on flattops, an commercial griddles since 1976, but please feel free to take it, or leave it, as ya wish.

I'm jus fine with that, Yall.

IF vinegar an water doesn't completely git it to where yer wantin it to be...

Easiest/peasiest, Least Damagin!!!!!!! way to bring it back to bare would be a grill brick. Strangely enough, they were made fer jus such things.

Here's an example: Though kinda blurry, an I do it in a different order, th essential techniques are all there, an it takes Carlos what, mebbe 10 mins? Please, watch, an bear with it. Seek out better ones, if ya wish

I usedta often run 2- 2' x 8' flattops, Cook To Order, feedin between 600-2500 mouths, per meal, if th other cook called in. Two meals a day, sometime three, when th cook from th next shift called in...

I also guaran-dang-tee ya that I could/can clean a BADLY encrusted 2 x 8 in likely half th time they took on this 2 x 2 demo video. Ain't sayin I'm cooler than Carlos, jus ain't makin no video...

Bein's how th Eagle flew today, my rabbit ears are gone fer a minute, an I'm all kinda Flush with ¢a$h', why ahm'a even offer another Pro Tip:

Please, purty please, DO NOT take a sander, or grinder to no griddle, nohow, nowhere, even if it was brought up offa th kitchen on th Titanic, okay?

If ya decide a grill brick might be fer ya, Caveat Emptor; some folks charge exorbitant, exotica prices fer what is a regular ol, everday expendable commodity in food service, so shop around, don't git yerself bumfuggled fer a buncha money.
        They's like toilet paper; use, when they gone, git a new one.

Any questions, hit me up...always willin to share

If there is any interest indicated, cause I know we have a Boatload of griddle owners / users up in here, I would be Most Happy to post a tutorial, in th appropriate channel, here... please, LMK....

After a horribly food crusted cook, we always started with Ice, dabba water

I would very much be appreciative if AR Resident Chef, an My Brother HouseHomey would weigh in on current practices...mebbe they have a Griddle Roomba, nowadays??? Some kinda Laser thang, with Blue Tooth??

My Best Guess is that it's still, to this day, some poor, worn out cook, tryin to git cleaned up, an go home to His/Her Loved Ones...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 21, 2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for posting.

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          "...Ain't sayin I'm cooler than Carlos..."

Ain't braggin' if it's true, Mr. Bones. You ARE one cool smoker dude.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Ain't braggin' if it's true, Mr. Bones. You ARE one cool smoker dude.
          IowaGirl now, yer jus bein silly, an stretchin th Truth, some....not to mention makin me feel kinda embarassed, which is usual...

Nonetheless, Sister, I thank ya fer yer kind words, on my behalf...

Cool beans Bones. Thanks. Only one more weekend till I shut my griddle down for winter, it lives at my summer cottage. I will give it a good cleaning before final shutdown.

Comment

Yeah. I had enough of that video about 30 seconds into it.

I use a spat and soda water to get the crusty off then the grill brick. This guy cleaned the grill twice by adding a high temp grill cleaner from the package. We buy 32oz squeeze bottles by the case.

Bonsey is right. We basically trip over those grill bricks at the chemical storage so DONT PAY UP.
          Its like paying up for a dry sponge. They are like loofah for the grill.

im exhausted just watching that guy. Attached is a photo of my hesatn grill and i do exactly as Mr. Bones says.

Please take Bonseys other advice by not doing. Attjack is on it too.

The grill in the main kitchen up front (I’m the Banquet troll in the back, my food goes out the back and side doors) is AMAZINGLY NON STICK by following the same direction.

let the product work for you and no vinegar won’t hurt but as a rule I don’t soak metal in water.

Name:	F5C5AF37-AAEE-4601-86D6-E8583E97CB07.png
Views:	3331
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	745946

Name:	9EC8A4D2-ABFE-46A7-94B1-58DC6B43BC7E.jpeg
Views:	3496
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	745944

Name:	D3FC5A8B-8343-4395-8EC5-4408D5809322.jpeg
Views:	3377
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	745945

I was trying to find a decent shot but I’m not really sure I have one of just the grill top. So have some fruit instead. And yes that my cutting board at my station in the middle of the controlled chaos.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            When one has successfully done this type, an volume of cookin, at an Elevated Quality Level, not jus Quantity, while gittin SLAMMED, day after day, year after year, it adds a whole nuther dimension to yer cookin reportoire, leave us safely say...

I'll readily bow to HouseHomey 's experience, on accounta he's still out there, doin it, each an every dang day!!!!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 21, 2019, 06:00 PM.

Last night this was just a grill brick.
          The pics are today at about 11am.

Name:	FB5ED92D-7CF9-474D-AB3D-271697477E0C.jpeg
Views:	3399
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	746162

Name:	0D7123E6-17FF-4FA2-8CD4-6092D954B334.jpeg
Views:	3346
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	746161

Comment

• JPGators17
            JPGators17 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks a ton Mr. Bones & HouseHomey ! My little 28" Blackstone can't hold a candle to those commercial beasts. Those aren't cast iron though, right?

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Nossir, not Cast Iron...

Believe they are typically a ductile steel alloy, couldn't give ya th exack amalgamation, at th moment, an it varies from mfr to mfr, anyhow...

The vinegar soak worked perfectly. Here's the before and after, just as I started to re-season it, hence the discoloration
          Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            That is awesome!!! Now use some Crisbee pucks and your off to the races. Crisbee recommended by Spinaker works super well.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I used that Crisbee on my blackstone too.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed, Crisbee / Larbee works very well, used here...

Nice job, JPGators17 ! I've used vinegar before too and it works like a charm, as you discovered. Looks like you're set to go for some pretty delicious cooking. Enjoy!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here