Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I Need a Grill for Camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I Need a Grill for Camping?

I just bought a Blackstone Tailgater to take camping. It has a grill on one side and a griddle on the other. My question is should I return the Tailgater and just buy a griddle model?

Is there anything I need the grill for that I can’t do on the griddle? The only thing I can think of might be corn on the cob.

I tend to figure these things out by doing and that gets expensive so any thoughts appreciated!

Smoke? Grill marks? (No controversy please) two zone cooking? Slower indirect cooking and those types of things.

Amount and types of food would be the other consideration.

It’s still gas. Clean up would be easier with just a griddle. I love my Pro Series.

My one cent worth.
    Last edited by HouseHomey; June 19, 2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      no controversy, lol. This is bbq/grilling. Right up there with sex, politics, and religion

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman True that my friend.

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey .....every time I see your burger picture....😋😋😋

Q: Do i need a grill for...[insert here]

A. Yes!

Comment

I like the camp chef models - they have lots of accessories and I think the burner BTUs may be higher. On the other hand, it costs more. What kind of camping are you doing? We don't really camp - we are in a RV.

The link is to a Guy Fieri bundle; you can get the stoves without all the peripherals.

Like HouseHomey homey says, you can't smoke anything on a camp stove though.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        That Guy Fieri bundle is a little pricey, but the video with Guy sure makes me see it would be a flexible setup. I like that the 3 burner stove folds up and would easily pack under most travel trailers. I am hoping to get a travel trailer in the next couple of years, once I get the last kid out of the house and have stopped paying for weddings and tuition.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris, it is kind of pricey, but I think I have the wife talked into getting it. I have to give up on the Grilla Chimp and roll with the Traeger Scout we already have, though. And that is going to end my MCS for awhile - the foot has been put down.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        explorer klflowers

I usually do bbq chicken breasts, thighs, steaks, burgers, fajitas, breakfast, dogs. When I say grill I mean something like a Coleman RoadTrip or the Blackstone grill box. Nothing I would use for smoking anyway.

I’m just wondering if given what I make if I should skip the grill box and just go griddle.

Camping = travel trailer

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you would use the grill box for chicken. The rest of it would work well on a griddle.

Depends on what kind of food you like to have while camping. For me I'd rather have just the griddle. I can use the camp fire for hot dogs. The griddle can do your hamburgers as well. But why the griddle only would be my preference is for breakfast. Nothing like a big sloppy breakfast when camping. Would also be able to cook your own raw tortillas as well. Breakfast burritos are perfect for camping. And as HouseHomey said, clean up would be much easier.

Comment

Chicken. I can't imaging cooking half chickens, or even quarters on a griddle.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh brother, yes we can. Our paths need to cross some day. Too much good Sh** man!! Bone that sucker out!

• Hugh
          Hugh commented
          Editing a comment
          point me to a recipe or give me some destructions please HouseHomey .

We stayed in an Air BnB a few weeks ago. My job was to cook chicken and all I had for cooking was an induction plate and a fry pan. I was lost. There was a strange silence when I served my bird.

Im loading up for a race weekend with the boys and I'm using a 22" Blackstone, a PBC, and an induction top (for frying). The big part of this answer is wha/how you intend to eat on a trip. As a reference we are having burgers, wings, ribs, hashbrown/bacon/eggs, breakfast sandwhiches, chorizo breakfast burritos, pit barrel beans, and a couple other odds and ends.

Comment

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          race camping/tailgating is what got me going on this cooking adventure. but come Monday it'll be salads for a week!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Geez I’ll just show up for left overs

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          xaugievike All that sounds good for the first morning's meal, but what are you going to have the rest of the trip?

For camping i have one of those cheap ($40) squarish foldup grills for burgers, not dogs, etc. I also have a small BGE for high temps and smoking. Then I have a Blackstone tabletop griddle. Not much need for the stove and oven in the camper. Seems like I meet new people a lot when we camp. The guy behind us a couple years ago got to smell ribs smoking all afternoon. When I took the rack of baby backs off for dinner (1 rack, just me and her) he saw it and said "that's not enough for all of us!". I smiled, said " I know", and sat down to eat. Didn't hear from him again. Hmmm.

Comment

Does an owl hoot? 🕶

Comment

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            Dan Deter My wife would say yes to the first one. Twice. I would say we just tolerate or put up with for a time.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but the way I was able to justify buying my Camp Chef stove was for a camping trip last year - I was surprised I got away with it! We used one of the burners without the griddle at almost every meal for heating up water for hot chocolate, or using a wok, or something else. It had been really nice to have the flexibility. I'm not sure how the Blackstone works, but if you don't need the griddle space I would stick with what you have.

Comment

To tell you the truth, you need a grill, if you have the desire to have freshly cooked meat and have this special atmosphere of a picnic at the backyard of your house. I would definitely like to have a real campfire and have meat and vegetables for instance cooked on it. The only thing from the civilization I'd enjoy to have with my in the rv is air conditioner, it's the most indispensable thing, I swear, especially speaking of hot summer. If you don't have an a/c, you almost die because of the heat. I've bought mine owing to the advice of https://www.palmgear.com/best-rv-air-conditioner/, this article helped me to make a wise choice and find a reliable air conditioner.
            Last edited by FionaJ55; November 26, 2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              If you're a legitimate Trial member here to join us in talking food & cooking, then welcome! Don't you dare spam us or you're gone.

Do you need a Grill for camping? No you don't need a grill for camping, or griddle for that matter.
            Do you want a grill for camping? Do you want a griddle for camping?

I am happy with a propane stove, and camp fire, cooler full of PBR to chase Old Crow.

The combo looks like it will handle your needs, if Include a Ditch oven.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              PBR, PBR, PBR!

I know I'm really late, but have you ever heard of a barrel cooker?

Comment

• Porkies
              Porkies commented
              Editing a comment
              HawkerXP You are retroactively pushing PBC PBC! haha!

Simple answer. Yes. You need a grill for camping.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here