Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too Hot for Seasoning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Hot for Seasoning?

We had a really nice stretch of weather so I broke out my flat top for a cook or two. Since the forecast looked good, I left it uncovered. Big mistake, because the weather turned and it got rained on and it was a few days before i remembered, so it got a few rust spots. No big deal I think to myself, I'll just scrape the rust and reseason.

I have a Camp Chef Denali, which is a 3 burner stove and I have two griddle pieces to go over the burners. It can get really hot, to where I usually cook at the lowest setting. Well for seasoning I set it to medium. I didn't have my IR gun, but I noticed that even after I applied a few coats of oil and let it smoke off, the areas above the burners were turning whitish, not the nice black of seasoned cast iron. I even saw some dark red spots where it got really hot. So, finally my question - did I screw up the seasoning? What do I need to do differently?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_190324.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	679833
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_190317.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	679834

I cannot speak to reasoning this cook top, but I know Lodge says to re-season their skillets in a 400F oven, upside down, for one hour, and to allow to cool and repeat as necessary until the seasoning is right. They also recommend coating evenly with vegetable oil, melted vegetable shortening, or canola oil spray.

If these pieces will fit in the oven, you may want to try that, as it would be sure to heat them completely evenly, with no hot spots above the burners.

Comment

Having cooked on more than a few non temperature controlled flattops in my career as a cook/chef, maybe this will help. Get a couple different Scotchbrite pads( a green one, and a coarser red one, for example). Then, heat that sucker up, let it smoke, then the seasoning process can start. Once the smoking stops, turn off the heat, then wait a bit for the grill to cool. You'll know it's ready when a drop of oil doesn't immediately smoke, but takes a minute or two. Then apply some oil and scrub with your coarse Scotchbrite pad till every nook and cranny is well scrubbed. Then wipe off oil and repeat with the finer pad to "polish." Wipe off as before, then, using your normal cooking settings, repeat the scrubbing process with the fine pad. Wipe, then apply a bit more oil. Once the sheen is mostly gone, turn off the grill and wipe the excess oil. Do not worry about the color, as that cool seasoned finish will take time to build up. This is the "baseline treatment," and you shouldn't have to go this far too often. When you use the grill, give it a light scrubbing with oil as it gets hot, then you are good to go for your whole cook(usually). After your cook, clean with a scotchbrite and water, then wipe, then oil to a very thin sheen. This sounds much more complicated than it really is. In the trade, this takes about 15-20 minutes initially, then 10 minutes for upkeep when the seasoning develops.

I hope this helps. Good cooking from Houston, Alaska.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know. I always enjoy reading your posts, Strat50 . For me, they're the real deal.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here