Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griddle cooking for rookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Griddle cooking for rookies

Hey all, just took delivery of my Blackstone 22 in griddle and I was wondering if there are some good resources here or elsewhere that would give me the basics of griddle cooking. Thanks in advance!

One of our members has a book on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Flippin-Aweso...language=en_US

My only other advice is to season it well and get a IR thermometer to check temps on the various parts of the griddle. Good luck and have fun with it.

Comment

• allsid
      allsid commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Donw

• snowswamp
      snowswamp commented
      Editing a comment
      Second on a good IR thermometer. It’s really helped me learn the temp setting allowing me to improve quickly.
      Last edited by snowswamp; May 13, 2019, 11:33 PM.

Welcome to The Pit.

This should get you started:

Kitchen knife making forum & knife for sale classifieds. Kitchen knife forums for knifemaking & forging, kitchen knife making, knife sharpening.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Welcome & congrats! I second the book recommendation Donw provided you with. It's written by Paul Sidoriak, who is "allsid" here in the forum, and he's actually one of our staff members!

Comment

• allsid
          allsid commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Huskee!

Originally posted by Twisted Martini View Post
        Hey all, just took delivery of my Blackstone 22 in griddle and I was wondering if there are some good resources here or elsewhere that would give me the basics of griddle cooking. Thanks in advance!
        I did write a book on griddle cooking and have plenty of hours on the griddle. But so many others here are amazing cooks with every kind of outdoor cooker available. I suggest subscribing to the griddle thread, ask questions and most importantly have fun!

Comment

I have the 22" Blackstone and you will love it. I use mine mostly for making egg sandwiches, pancakes, smash burgers and cheesesteaks.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm. Where abouts in Jersey are you. I’m just over the boarder from Mahwah.

Welcome aboard to the Amazing Ribs Pit Masters Family.
          Check your owners manual about seasoning the cook top. Mine said to wash with soap and water and dry off before the initial seasoning.
          I think the newer ones just need seasoning.
          That being said. Your seasoning should go like this.
          First wipe the entire surface with a good "high heat" oil. I like Flaxseed. Heat it up on high until it pretty much stops smoking. As it’s getting really hot wipe it off to get as much of the oil off.
          This will let the thin layer of oil bond with the cooking surface.
          Let cool down on its own.
          Repeat this process 3-4 times.
          At this point you should have a nice black surface which over time will become somewhat nonstick.

I hope this helps you to get started.

Others here have more experience than I. So hopefully they will chime in as well.

Good luck with your new griddle. You’re gonna love it.

Comment

Welcome aboard...
            Seasoning is the first step, and Steve B showed, it’s pretty straight forward.

As allsid pointed out...have a look at the dedicated channel, lots of good info and a great place to ask questions. I too would suggest checking out his book as well. I was honestly looking through it not more than four hours ago. A nice griddle specific book.

Comment

• allsid
              allsid commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks surfdog, Many thanks!

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              allsid Only ‘cause I like the book. ;-)

Welcome from Virginia. Love my Blackstone. On the most part there is a short learning curve. I recommend don't get too hot and do a search for seasoning and watch the video's it is a huge help. Finally, post your questions here. These folks are awesome. Good luck!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and your griddle. Season it well and let her rip! You’ll do just fine.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I don't have a griddle but love to eat off one! Please include pictures of your progress!!

Comment

Thanks for the love everyone! I actually bought Paul's book and read through it. I have an IR thermo that has been helpful so far. Bought the flaxseed oil and seasoned it 3 times before doing any food. Maiden voyage was marinated chicken thighs and stir fry veggies. Did the veggies first but should have let the surface come back up to temp before putting the chicken on, took a little longer but still came out great. Cleans up easy with water and steam and forces me to clean up my mess right after, unlike my BGE. Good habit to make for sure!

How much oil should i be using when cooking stuff like potatoes, veggies etc? Is there such thing as too much oil? Just using wesson veggie oil for now.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Steve B
                    Steve B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks great. The chicken, veggies and the seasoning all look spot on. 🙌🙌

• allsid
                    allsid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oil is an interesting topic Twisted Martini. Although I prefer a skim coat, a well-seasoned griddle often requires none. FB posters recently took sides that no oil is required for "healthier" cooking if the griddle is well seasoned. I would experiment and go from there. And for me, protein first then veggies unless its really thick tubers- Enjoy!

• allsid
                    allsid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That 22" is a beast and I often get it heat soaked and then cut one burner off completely. A small cookie cooling rack on the griddle top works wonders too for keeping foods warm and ready to serve when you have other things still cooking. Like- bacon, then burgers.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here