Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackstone Griddle - Front Dran VS Back Drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackstone Griddle - Front Dran VS Back Drain

Getting very close to pulling the trigger on a Blackstone 36" griddle. My local Walmart has the new model with the drain in the rear center of the top. Amazon has them for a few bucks less, but states you "may receive a rear grease or a front grease drain" and that got me thinking.... Which is better?

I see advantages to both designs. With rear drain the gunk stays in the back and out of the way, but there's a lip in the front of the griddle. The side drain is up front and more visible, but the front is open, leading me to believe you have better access to flip stuff near the front of the griddle.

What does your experience tell you???
    Attached Files

I have them both, not used the newer rear drain much. I did have a problem once when using the front drain unit when windy and doing a party cooking lots of burgers, the wind was blowing the dripping grease all over the place and made a little mess before I noticed and made a temporary fix. My guess is in the same situation the rear drain unit would not be as bad but no proof. The rear drain unit has a bigger catch basin and I filled the front drain unit with the cook so again the rear drain unit would have been better.

Comment

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      That's consistent with what I've read—the rear drain is superior for grease management. What about front access? Does the lip on the rear drain make it more difficult to flip items near the front? Or is it better at corralling food in...stuff less likely to jump off the front open lip?

• SMOG MAN
      SMOG MAN commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the rear drain griddle top a little better, if you are pushing food around the lip keeps food contained better, I don't have any problems with spatula use.

Got the front drain. I have had no issues. I am a fan of Blackstone.

Comment

Front drain, here. Also zero issues. Have already sold one Blackstone, here, been told I should make ads fer em by Pit Members. So, yeah, also kinda a fan! :-)

I bought a doohickey, or mebbe it was a gadget, clamps on near th drain, when I bought th griddle, but I've never put it on...

Th front trough is consistent with all commercial griddles I've ever laboured over, so is 2nd nature to me.

Due to that, I'd likely have one hailuvva time, bangin off that lip, up front...alla th time.

Cain't say that makes front drain better; it's jus natural to me.

Trough makes a great place to park yer spats, as well...

Based on my experience, either one should make ya a very happy camper!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here