Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite butter/oil for use on the griddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say experiment.

When I was on my first griddle some 30 years ago it was called slurry, but today it is called swirl or like you mentioned Phase.

I used it once or twice recently, with dehydrated potato shreds attempting to make waffle house style potato browns, but have not used it since.

I am a little gun shy about the ingredients like what Spinnaker mentioned barry.

One thing I have noticed and confirmed with a CIA grad who does a bunch of work for one of the most common outdoor griddle companies is that animal fat (AKA bacon grease) goes rancid extremely quickly on the griddle and really needs to be accounted for.

It stains food. So regardless of which oil you choose, if there is an animal component and you are not extremely diligent about removing it via a burn-off or other method, you will get a mouth full of acrid in your next cook.

If I had a single oil to use on the griddle indefinitely going forward. It would probably be peanut oil.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0125.JPG
Views:	664
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	636767

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      What dem little cake thingees??

• allsid
      allsid commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheesy Polenta Cakes

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      allsid You had us all scared on the forum here. Looked a bit like "Tofu". That's a curse word round these parts.

Good ol butter (regular and clarified) for just regular cooking, olive oil, canola if I want something flavour neutral, and avocado for searing or anything high heat.

Comment

Obviously depends on what I am cooking. But typically butter and/or olive oil or a combination of the two.

Comment

Since we're all getting older, one thing to keep in mind is that if you're taking a warfarin (Coumadin) based blood thinner you should really avoid avocado oil as avocado has been proven to decrease the efficacy of warfarin. Having said that, I don't have anything to add here as I don't get my Blackstone Griddle/Fryer combo until later this week.

Comment

• SmokingSteve
          SmokingSteve commented
          Editing a comment
          i will say you are very much correct about Warfarin/Coumadin. My cardiologist recommends Peanut Oil. It is what I use. Very high smoke point and very heart friendly.

Depends on the cook. Eggs and taters get bacon grease. Pancakes used to get butter, but now it's ghee. My wife prefers light olive oil, (I think light is the key word here), so I sometimes mix that with some ghee for flavor. I also use some olive oil, (extra virgin for Italian), peanut oil and coconut oil from time to time.

Comment

I picked up some coconut oil spray a while back that adds a little different flavor to things. Otherwise, it's clarified butter or EVOO on most things. Bacon fat for eggs and potatoes for sure. I recently picked up some Crisco liquid butter that is pretty decent. I will put this down on the griddle for pancakes for extra crispness around the edges. It also helps make a good dinner style omelets.

Comment

Beef tallow or avocado oil for me

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              Beef tallow for me too. Cheap keeps in the freezer and doesn't spill.

grape seed oil most of the time for me.

Comment

I just realized this isn't a new thread and I had already chimed in.
              Last edited by Attjack; March 23, 2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Butter, bacon juice, peanut oil, Pam, actually whatever I remember to bring to the griddle.

Comment

I like peanut oil, very neutral. Would try avocado oil, but it’s not available in Sweden. And of course beef tallow.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here