Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasoning help

Just got the Blackstone 36 a couple days ago. Ive seasoned w canola oil 3 times this morning. How many cooks does it take to get the griddle relatively stick free. I wanted to practice a breakfast this afternoon and the bacon stuck to the griddle.

Thanks!!

I don't have a griddle, so I can't help, but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Me neither but I await the answer as well.

Comment

I seasoned mine 3 times with peanut oil. Nothing stuck to it after that. Are you sure you put it on fairly heavy and let it set on high heat? I always add a small amount of oil and spread with the spatula to make sure it stays stick free

Comment

Let's get some more griddle experts in here to help ya. "HEY allsid Mr. Bones Spinaker Steve B !"

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Did ya put a lil splash of oil down, before th bacon went on? I haven't really had stuff try to stick, but on my first cook, I way underestimated how hot I had it, sittin at what th knobs said was a "Medium High" setting, and overcooked my first rack of bacon, some...

It sounds like ya have made a proper seasonin of yer cooktop, do ya happen to have any pics to share? That will help analyze yer situation, an enable us to provide ya with more specific guidance...

Glad to have ya here, an don't fret none, ya'll have that Blackstone figgered out, before very much longer!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 27, 2018, 06:13 AM.

Comment

^ Yep. After seasoning, you still want to put down a little oil before cooking. I used flax seed oil, per the instructions, on my baby Blackstone, and it worked great. Haven't fired up the 36" yet, but I don't expect anything different.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

It sounds like you have the right approach. I used peanut oil and ran all 4 burners on high for about 30min until most all of the oil smoked off. Than let it cool completely. and repeated 3 more times. As mentioned above I put down a little oil before each cook. And after the clean up I will let it cool down and spread some oil on the surface for storage.

Comment

Even in professional kitchens a light coat of something goes on even the most well seasoned flat tops.

Sounds like you are just fine as mentioned about. You can always season a grill so don't worry too much. You have a quality product and the right approach.

oil her up and let's see some bacon burgers or parrty melts with grilled onions. Oh Geeze, look what you've done, now I'm hungry and need a bite.

Comment

Me thinks ya treat it just like a skillet. If not a little oil before then a skad of oil after cleaning. Then heat er up & ya should be good to go.

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Isn't that what she said???

I have a Camp Chef and it came pre seasoned but I still seasoned it by cooking on it. Breakfast is a great way to get a good seasoning on a griddle because bacon and sausage both have a lot of fat content.

I use grape seed oil on mine because of it's high smoke point. When done cooking I squirt water on the still hot griddle surface to steam up any stuck food bits and scrape it with a bench blade. Wioe down with paper towels (wear a glove or use a tongs for this so you don't burn your hands.)

Add a little oil and cover the griddle. Let stand until cool then wipe excess off. Keep cooking on it and it will season up nicely!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Let's see that puppy in action when you get the chance!

Comment

Sometimes it takes weeks, it really depends on how much you use it and what you are cooking on the griddle.

After you are done cooking, wipe the surface clean and add your favorite oil. I love to use Flax oil because it creates the best seasoning you can get. Apply the oil, and then wipe it off with a dry rag, you will still have a micro layer on the surface. Then turn the burners on high and allow it to smoke. Once it starts to smoke cut the heat and let it cool. Each time you do this, you are throwing down a layer of seasoning that will help you in the long run.

Always use some cooking spray when cooking. There is no shame in cheating until the surface becomes truly non stick. It will also throw another layer of oil on the surface when you are cooking, an added plus.

Comment

Thank ya'll for the responses! I didn't put oil on before the bacon. Just gotta cook more on it. So I initially used canola oil but if you wanna switch oils to cook on, that shouldn't matter right???

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here