Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimenting on the griddle-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experimenting on the griddle-

In some of the online FB groups, pizza is something people aspire to do on the griddle. I am experimenting with pizza and although this was more of a calzone I learned a bunch. Although I think there are far better cookers for real pizza, I understand people love the concept of making pizzas camping. My key takeaway was lower temperatures and longer cook times on the griddle work better.

This one was filled with smoked and chopped chicken thighs, hatch chili peppers green olives, and a mess of cheese-
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	524156
    Attached Files

I can see the lower temps helping as to not burn the exterior. I can tell you cooking a frozen microwave pizza in a skillet on a HOT campfire will give you "Blackened Bottom" and "Frozen Raw Top"

Comment

Int

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Thinking the same thing, only shorter.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        In?

Interesting. Your pic makes me think about paninis. You could do a pizza style panini, or a classic like prosciutto, brie, apple and arugula. Or why not both?

Comment

Love the ideas of paninis with those ingredients Attjack!

I keep thinking about naan with lots of olives in it as a vessel for some kinda kebab too-

Comment

Griddles are so versatile. I'm getting more acquainted with mine. I made breakfast for 6 last weekend. I found I can use the griddle as a warming table when the food is done. Once I take the food off and transfer to foil pans I shut the burners off and wipe the griddles clean and oil them up for next time. I put the covered foil food pans back on the still warm/hot griddle and it keeps the food warm for quite some time.

Pannini sandwiches and naan bread are great ideas!

Comment

If you want to make pizza on a griddle, one of these might help retain the heat and cook faster on top:

Comment

I have one RonB but need another. What the heck do you call those things anyhow? Basting cover seems so formal- LOL. I am actually planning a pizza cook cast iron style heating the bottom with the griddle and the top with a dutch oven lid and a few pieces of glowing charcoal to see how that works.

Comment

This was my trick for the griddle basting covers. I bought the magnets on Amazon with the knob on top. Then I took a steel washer. I put the magnet with the knob and put it on top of a aluminum foil pan and the washer on the inside of the pan for the magnet to grab. Wala! You got a basting cover at a fraction of the cost. Besides that you can have as many sizes as what foil pans are made in. I've used full size pans to cover as many as 8 burgers for melting cheese. Or a big batch of hash browns to melt cheese over.

Half size pans work for most things though.

Name:	basting cover.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	526059

Name:	basting cover 2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	526060

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Slick!

• Frozen Smoke
                Frozen Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                Griddle Master gets $20 for a pair. I think these ran maybe 50 cents a piece I already had the washers laying around.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice, an useful trick, amigo!
                Many Thanks fer sharin!

Basically a stovetop oven.Take a look, for techniques, to other cultured that do things like this. always remember, the closed piece is twice (or more) the bread.

In Korea, they make a great, related dish called Hotteok. They refer to it as a filled pancake but it is actually a yeasted dough, rolled out into a round, put in your fillings, close the top and seal it. seal the package making a ball. put it seam down on the griddle for a few seconds, once you have a small bit of browned, turn it over and flatten it. brown on that side, and flip it again to finish cooking the seam side.

some people like making their pizza in a skillet or a dutch oven. all using the same concept. start cooking it and cover it to create an oven.

Looks like your on the right track!

Comment

the camp chef italia i have have can be taken camping. Remove the griddle on my camp stove and plop it on there. Instant pizza oven.

Comment

I made basting covers using cake pans of different sizes. I used draw handles. Works great and made them for 2 bucks apiece.

Comment

Those look great!! Can you provide more info on the dough, temp settings and cooking time.

Comment

Originally posted by jlazar View Post
                      Those look great!! Can you provide more info on the dough, temp settings and cooking time.
                      there was very little science behind this cook, and actually it was the opposite. Canned pizza dough rolled into a filled pocket and cooked over medium. If/when I do it again I will reduce the heat even further and turn more frequently.

Comment

• jlazar
                        jlazar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks

Oh my, those look good - would have loved a pic of one cut opened.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here