Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep Frying on a Blackstone or Other Gas Griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a camp chef range with the griddle topper. when I deep fry, i remove the griddle and put the pot directly on top of the burner. yeah it will get it HOT. As I say when I am mad, "hotter than fish grease!" fried some catfish and hushpuppies just now. Turned it off like 5 minutes ago. Catfish fillets rubbed with lemon juice then rinsed off, seasoned with tonys extra spicy, then dipped into a 4 to 1 flour, cornmeal flour mixture. Fried for 8 minutes then add an additional cup of cornmeal to the flour, 1 Tbs of tonys extra spicy, 3 poblano peppers, 4 jalapeno peppers, one red onion, and one bunch green onions to the flour. Add enough buttermilk to make a batter and spoon into the hot grease for 6 minutes to make hushpuppies. Works like a charm. If you want a milder fix puppy, use old bay instead of tonys and omit the jalepenos.
    Last edited by texastweeter; June 3, 2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	510722Click image for larger version  Name:	A21B9E71-A31A-40B1-8201-A2771E60BB85.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	510720 fzxdoc Kathryn there is a spigot on the back of the unit. And I also got this container for the oil. But I have yet to use it.
      These things are propane fired and need space behind them for the exhaust.
      And they are really cool looking and sounding when they are in use.
      Kind of like a jet engine. Sorry about the pics being out of order Click image for larger version  Name:	D856CB70-8876-44C3-859F-B1C64DAA8453.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	510719

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll second this fryer. I borrowed a stainless one from a friend last fall and it held temp wonderful. I cooked 25lbs of fish and 15 lbs of fried in no time flat. No burnt batter in the bottom either. Just drained the oil back into the container fill the fryer with water and some dawn soap lit it off and let it boil for a couple mins dumped it out gave it a good wash out with water and done.

Thanks for the information, Steve B and Dadof3Illinois on the Cajun fryer. It looks like overkill for me who wants to fry a chicken or two or some shrimp or fries now and then. Seems like what I need is in between something like the TFal8000 fryer and the Cajun fryer. I looked at turkey fryers, and they're still a possibility.

Mostly I'm hoping to take just what I'm doing on my kitchen cooktop with a CI dutch oven outside to keep the mess and smells out of the house. The suggestions to try an induction burner are good. If that doesn't work, maybe something like the Camp Chef range that texastweeter uses might be a solution.

I keep stewing about this, but thankfully I'm in no hurry. I just want the safest, cleanest way to deep fry out on the deck using, hopefully, something that does not have a single purpose. So I'm looking more for a two-trick pony.

You all answered my initial question, though, and thank you so much for that. Looks like I won't be buying a Blackstone griddle for dual duty with my deep frying needs. Plus you all gave me some good alternative avenues to explore. Thanks again!

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; June 4, 2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Dadof3Illinois , there's something about the use of the words air and fryer side by side that seems counterintuitive. When it comes to deep frying, I'm old school. But thanks nonetheless.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Get this and you wont be sorry. We use it all the time. Plus, its cheap. It is actually made by masterbuilt. https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-XL.../dp/B077NBGLWX fry, boil and steam in it.

• jgreen
        jgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty sure you still need the Blackstone though, just because.

I know you want a two-trick pony but I have been thinking about getting a outside deep fryer also and my research has lead me to Northern Tool and Equipment. They have a propane triple basket deep fryer for $150 that gets great reviews.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmmm. Very interesting. I'll check it out in detail. Thanks, ssandy_561 .

K.

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the concept of two separate oil vats. That way your fries can taste like fries and not like fish or chicken

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I have 3 outdoor fryers, and I find that unless I am doing a whole mess of fish, they get used as a boiler more often than not.

Please remember that, whatever you get, the amount of oil it holds is very important. The more oil it hold, the less effect adding cold food will have on the oil's temp.

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        I always let my fresh chicken wings sit out of the fridge for about 15 minutes before I deep fry them. I let my chicken pieces sit out about 20 to 25 depending on size.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Room temperature is cold compared to hot oil. ssandy_561
        Last edited by RonB; June 5, 2018, 11:55 AM.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, RonB. Good thought.

K.

I did a wee bit of frying on my side burner on the Genesis. Wasn't the greatest setup, but it worked good enough to cook some coating on some sous vide chicken. Bad bird, but the coating was fine.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I've tried my side burner and it just doesn't have enough oomph for a big pot of oil and a whole chicken. It will skillet fry just fine, though.

K.

I've never tried deep frying on the BS. I have however "shallow" fried things like egg rolls, thin chops and chicken tenders. I have the front grease drain model. I simply put spacers, I use washers, underneath the front of the flattop to tilt it slightly. This way oil pools and the rear. It worked wonders for what I needed.

Comment

I have a Blackstone 36" and have wondered the same thing. I do alot of cooking in cast and have wanted to try it. I also use a Coleman RoadTrip just for stovetop type work outside and it is an amazing little burner.

Comment

Thanks, David DavidNorcross . I've been looking at outside burner setups like your Coleman, but wonder if they've got enough juice for a 7-8 qt cast iron skillet for frying. The fact that you're also looking for a fryer setup tells me that might a a dedicated fryer with sufficient BTUs is still not out of the question.

Right now I'm eyeballing the setup that Troutman has. The price is low enough ($40) that if it doesn't work out I'm not out big bucks. That would make the husband happy.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; June 8, 2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

fzxdoc as promised here is a pic and a link to the induction burner we use at work. I a man Sorry doc, what the heck do I know? They are however offering free shipping.

They do work flawlessly.
            HH

Comment

fzxdoc on another note how do you like your Trex deck? I am getting designs for a new deck and I'm getting conflicting info. SOme people love trex, some epay wood,a and others redwood. so confused.

Comment

I like the Camp Chef idea because you can buy other attachments. Such as a pizza oven, a grill top which turns it in to a grill, the griddle top comed with it, and several others. That will probably be my next buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sfdrew28 View Post
                fzxdoc on another note how do you like your Trex deck? I am getting designs for a new deck and I'm getting conflicting info. SOme people love trex, some epay wood,a and others redwood. so confused.
                There's nothing not to like about a maintenance-free deck, at least for us, Sfdrew28 .

However, there are a couple of negatives in our experience:
                1. In my cooking/smoking/grilling area, if I get a grease spot on the deck, it doesn't come out without using a special cleaner, which works marginally IMO.

2. Not all of our Trex has color-changed uniformly. I filed a complaint with Trex a few years back and sent photos and basically they said that the color difference we're seeing between adjacent boards is normal. We have the Winchester Grey color.

Our Trex decking is 10 years old, though, and doesn't have that wood-like (sealed?) finish that the newer Trex has. FWIW, our neighbors re-did their redwood decks last year with Trex with that wood-like finish and are really happy.

For maintenance, we have the Trex decks powerwashed once a year. No other maintenance needed.

Kathryn

Comment

I use the induction plate and deep cast iron chicken fryer pan when I want to deep fry. Recovery time is good and it gets the oil to a precise temperature which is all important in deep frying.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yup.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here