Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tree Rats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree Rats

Anyone else ever have issues with tree rats chewing on their gas lines?
    this is the third time happening to me. Always in the winter when the gasser isn't getting used much...ain't getting used today either evidently 😡😡
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20230127_164636.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1368432

Time for some steel braided propane hose. That would drive me nuts.

Comment

Perhaps this would help them understand the seriousness of the deed….
      Click image for larger version

Name:	4CE3E2B6-0239-4DDC-BFCE-169187D0CB45.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1368438

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        This is an epic photo post…

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Perhaps....Perhaps....lol...Awesome pic!

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        with a little corn, milk gravy, and biscuits

Yes! Those little pieces of crap chew everything. I dislike everything about them, except how they taste.

Comment

We've had the same problem with hoses & wiring in our vehicles (under the hood) and were told by our (trusted) mechanic that he was told that manufacturers are using soy-based plastics, and insulation and coatings which rats, squirrels, etc are VERY drawn to ...
        We've had damage to LED yard lights (think Harbor Freight) and drip irrigation (think 1/4 inch plastic tubing).
        CHNeal has the right solution, IMHO 😂

Comment

• acorgihouse
          acorgihouse commented
          Editing a comment
          ah, you and I were posting same thing, mine just below.

Yep, braided hose. BTW, though, they will totally screw up your vehicle also. My neighbors and I had a rat problem last spring, when some heavy brush/overgrowth was cleared out behind our properties. I noticed them coming and going under my back fence, and thought they were after my bird feeders. My next door neighbors had them get into the attic, a real mess to get rid of and clear out. Next thing I knew, my windshield wiper fluid was empty, odd b/c I rarely use and car only had about 12K miles on it. Took in for service, asked them to fill it up, turned out the bottom of my wiper fluid reservoir was eaten away, along with a lot of the tubing. Little teeth marks, and broken little toofers. $941 to replace. Car guys told me happens a lot, the plastics lately are made of cellulose and soy, instead of vinyl, and must be tasty. My SIL told me after that her car had same, a year ago, she turned on engine after not going anywhere several days, all the alarm lights on and wouldn't start. Ate away the wiring. Another friend had same, when she parked at a campground for a week. So, you can get little rodent deterrant doodads for your car, mine seems to work fine, but my point would have to be get rid of them asap! Whatever it takes. My soapbox issue of the day

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Finster then they mutate and we have GIANT killer squirrels that are after more than just our plastic...

• CHNeal
          CHNeal commented
          Editing a comment
          Finster so you are saying there’s a chance?

• Allon
          Allon commented
          Editing a comment
          Depends on your scope and area of activities.

I don't believe you need to kill all squirrels everywhere.
          You just need to adjust the local population to a more advantageous level.

A pallet of explosives pushed out the back of a C-130 Hercules set to detonate at 30 feet should do it. That's one o they made Lz's (landing zones) in the jungles of Vietnam. They air force told them that they would drop the bombs. The Marines attached broom sticks to the pallet to detonate and called it mine laying

Yes, its the reason I had to get rid of one of the 2 grills we had when we got married (line was not easily user replaceable).

Comment

I’ve told this story here before but it is an ongoing battle. The tree rats ate $1100 worth of the wiring from under the hood of my pickup. I declared war. We live out on the west edge of our town where houses are at least 100 yards apart. The local ordinances say I can fire a shotgun but not a rifle (welcome to Texas). I and my Mod 42 Winchester 410 went to work. There seems to be an unending supply of squirrels. I’v shot so much that 410 ammo was getting too expensive so now I make my own out of Marlin 444 brass. I have accomplished one thing. I started feeding squirrels to the feral cats. They have taken to the trees, I saw one grab a squirrel Wed. They came tumbling out of the tree, but the cat won.

Comment

• nunyaz
            nunyaz commented
            Editing a comment
            We've literally witnessed the 'circle of life' here ... equestrian community, homes on minimum 1 acre lot, lots of trees. Some seasons we see/hear lots of owls and the squirrel population declines, then fewer owls and BOOM you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without clipping a squirrel or three!

This is what I bought:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The little b#st@@rds have not been able to chew through it - yet.

Comment

The local Redtails keep the population down. It is interesting as you have an uptick in squirrel activity. Then an equal amount of hawk activity. Then less squirrels. Got to be more than a coincidence.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Ame here with chipmunks.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here