Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char-Griller Flat Iron griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char-Griller Flat Iron griddle

Hey everyone... Just wanted to share my experience so far with the Char-Griller Flat Iron 4. I know that Blackstone seems to be the most well-known brand in the griddle category, but I have to be honest, I'm really glad that I went with the Flat Iron instead. First, the grease management is awesome. There is a small hole (maybe the size of a business card) in the left front corner of the griddle that empties into a drawer beneath that slides in and out. Yes, it means sacrificing a few inches of cooking space, but you start with 775 inches, so you'll still have plenty of room.

Four burners that get the top hot very quickly and seems to hold the heat very evenly across the top. Also has some of the obvious features like collapsible legs and collapsible side tables to make for easy travel, even in the trunk of most cars.

The only problem I've had is in the metal cover that came with it. We got the model 8036, which has the removable metal cover. We had to fasten a few handles into that, and we've had some rain seep onto the griddle top through on of the screw holes. But honestly, I suspect that's user error and likely that if tighten it a little bit that the rubber washer would seal tighter. If that doesn't solve the problem, a quick dab of silicon will.

The kicker is: My ten year old put the thing together. Seriously. Now granted, he's a Lego wizard, but he took a look at the book and assembled the grill in about 20 minutes with just a Phillips screwdriver; it's that easy.

Anyway, I highly recommend you consider the Char Griller Flat Iron if you're looking for a propane griddle. It was way cheaper than the Blackstones around here and I've had better experience already, given that I had a Blackstone years ago and ended up giving it away because I disliked it so much.

If you're interested, Menards has a few different models. This is the one I bought:

Thanks for the tip. I have been actively shopping for a bigger griddle. I have a little 17” single burner Blackstone which I love but it’s just too small. The pricing on the big ones is a killer. Pit Boss and Camp Chef have some nice models, but again, pricey.

I have a Menards less than a mile away and they show this in stock. I will run over there ASAP to check it out. On sale too!

Thanks again.

Comment

• TheAmazingJohnJ
      TheAmazingJohnJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to help! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm digging mine!

Four burners and that much space with the hard cover included. Hard not to give it a look. Really wish I had a hard cover for my blackstone… probably should spend the $70 for how much effort it takes to de rust it

Comment

• TheAmazingJohnJ
      Editing a comment
      I bought a soft cover for $30 for it, but after seeing how well the hard cover fits, I haven't even taken the soft cover out of the box yet. Maybe over the winter. 😂

So... I'm coming back to this post because a year later I have become very disappointed. After a great first summer with the Flat Iron, as I started the second summer in May 2023, I am not at all impressed.

I keep the Flat Iron covered when not in use and stored it in the garage from November through mid-May. Nevertheless, in just a year the firebox has rusted on three sides, near the top, closest to the griddle top. In addition, one of the burner tubes burns out of control and actually flared out the front of the grill and burned my 11 year old son, who I was teaching how to grill.

I opened up a help ticket with Char Griller about two weeks ago and have gotten no response. I got an automated reply asking when they should call me. I gave them a number of different replies, but have gotten no call as of yet. The phone number won't connect me to a live person. The chat window on their website has disappeared.

If anyone has any idea how I can get some help from Char Griller, I'd appreciate it. As it is now, I'm regretting I didn't just get a Blackstone.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! So sorry to hear of your troubles. I've got a Camp Chef flattop (the FTG900), and while I have some paint issues after 3 years with the bottom shelf (bubbles due to rain blowing under the cover and sitting on the shelf), the top part that the griddle sits on is 100% stainless, as are all the burners, and they all look great. I plan to eventually built the top burner and griddle assembly into an outdoor kitchen, and toss the cart it all sits on.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know if Blackstone has stainless burners, but look for those on your next griddle for sure, whatever brand it is.

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope everyone is okay and you are getting the customer service you deserve. I appreciate your follow up post on this griddle.

Not sure if someone at Char Griller lurks on this forum or if it was my nonstop posting on their Facebook page, but I finally got a response on August 2. They promised to send me a replacement burner tube and a new firebox, but that was two weeks ago and I haven't received any notification of shipment yet. I am not optimistic that I'll see anything this summer. I pointed out that with shipping and everything, it would probably be cheaper for them to just send me some kind of gift card to buy a replacement at Menards. We'll see how it goes...

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      They sent me a new temp probe for my Auto Kamado under warranty. Didn't get any information before it was delivered. Took ~6weeks maybe but it arrived eventually.

Keep us posted, @The AmazingJohnJ . I hope Char Griller does right by you.

That's terrible about your son. Is he all right now?

Kathryn

Comment

Wow that's crazy. I know Char-Griller is not 'known' for longevity and durability, but I would expect more than 1 year out of the thing. I got many years out of my Char-Griller Duo before I finally gave it away a few weeks ago.

If I were getting a different griddle (have a Blackstone 36" now), I'd look at the Camp Chef, probably, or maybe the new ceramic Pit Boss models - although they've only been out a little over a year, I think, so the durability of these is still waiting to be proven.

I'll be honest, though - in the griddle game, I have yet to see one that really impresses me with BUILD QUALITY. The Camp Chef is probably the best I've seen and fondled, and I would have bought one of those if I'd been able to find one at the time I was ready to purchase - I ended up with the Blackstone out of convenience, really. Atwood's carries the Camp Chef line, but for months when I was looking, there were ZERO in stock to fondle. I'm thinking that may have been during all the supply chain issues a few years ago after some.... uhhh... social disruption.

Id' say, my best advice is a good cover and a good domed lid. This is one thing I REALLY like about my Blackstone, I got a model with an attached lid that is semi-domed on top, not one with the removable flat lid. I'd never, EVER had to worry about any water leakage or accumulation on top of mine. I do use a cover, and an expensive one at $50 or so, but this is more for the cart and the burner knobs, etc., than the griddle top. With my lid down, there is next to NO way any rain could get on my griddle top. Of course, there are lots of other areas that would be at risk - and, nice as I feel the Blackstones are, they aren't exactly rock solid construction, either.

Just curious TheAmazingJohnJ, you said you had a Blackstone before and weren't impressed with it. Now you're wishing you had just gone with one of those. Tell us what you didn't like about it?

If you've got anywhere locally you can fondle a Camp Chef, I'd give it a try, personally. But if not, the Blackstones come in a zillion flavors and models - and I'll be honest, if I were doing it again, I'd keep an eye on FB Marketplace - I see the 36" models for sale on there ALL. THE. TIME. for $200, $150, even less. As long as the cart and burners are ok, the top could look like it's been through a war and it's easy enough to clean up...

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a lot of fondling going on there buddy.

• TheAmazingJohnJ
        Editing a comment
        DogFaced PonySoldier sorry for the delayed response. Been off the forum here for a long time. To answer your question... what I didn't like about the Blackstone I had was the grease managerment. The one I had had a small trough along the front of the griddle that acted like a gutter to a small hole at the end where a grease cup hung off the edge, just barely. If the thing was moved at all, the grease cup just fell to the ground. A horrible design.

• TheAmazingJohnJ
        Editing a comment
        DogFaced PonySoldier (continued) I know the newer ones drain grease to the back, but I don't like that design any better. I used to work in restaurants, so I much prefer a hole in the top of the griddle that drains into a lined drawer, like the Char Griller has. Much cleaner and safer cleanup. Sure, I lose a few square inches of cooking, but not a big deal on a huge griddle.

Nice review...Thanks for posting

I am originally from Cleveland, grew up pretty close to the Zoo. I still have family that live on the West Side.

I have had my Camp Chef for a few years -it is kept under a grill cover (and now parked under a pavilion) having a soft cover makes a huge impact on keeping it in good shape.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        My 6 burner camp chef remains rust free under a grill cover as well. Sadly, while it WAS under the pavilion, SWMBO voted it out past the end, to make more room for seating for people. If I have to griddle in a monsoon though, I can still roll it back temporarily, haha.

• Bad Hat BBQ
        Bad Hat BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris YESSSSIR I have always had soft covers on my outdoor cookers but the parking covered grills under that pavilion is a huge game changer. I think my soft covers are going to last for several years and the gear is in really good shape. Yeah, it takes 15 minutes to uncover and stage if I am doing a big cook BUT during the week I am usually uncovering 1 cooker for my a wife and I - super easy

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here