Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Loco Griddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Loco Griddles

You can actually control the temp of each zone of the griddle which is pretty cool. Price was around $700 at Lowes for the 36 in 3 burner model.

Saw those on Meat Church's latest video. That's a nice feature, also looks like foldable side tables and lid are included. I would prefer a stainless griddle top though.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      The only issue is that stainless is probably never going to be as non stick as a well seasoned cold rolled steel griddle top.

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you jfmorris and something that I've considered, still want the SS top.

That griddle is pretty cool with having thermostatic control of the cooktop temperature. However, at $800 for the 36" 3-burner model, I just don't see many sales, when folks can get a lot of different model Blackstone, Campchef or other even cheaper griddles for a good bit less. It does have a nice cabinet and lid, but at the end of the day, its still just a griddle.

What will happen is Lowe's, Home Depot and Ace will have these on display, alongside Blackstone, Rhino and other cheaper griddles, and 90% of folks will go with the cheaper option.

Where it competes price wise is with a Weber Genesis or other such gas grill, and if folks want a good gas grill that ONLY can griddle, maybe they end up going with this.
    Last edited by jfmorris; February 17, 2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Pretty pricey. My Blackstone with a handheld infrared thermometer does the same thing for a lot less $$$

Comment

I just wonder... how accurate are those temp readings? And do they hold that calibration over time, etc.? I think it's probably more of an estimate... putting a digital 'display' on a temp knob doesn't really do anything to change how you cook.

I'd be really REALLY interested to see some independent testing to show temp control across the griddle surface.

Also would like to see some breakdown in what the burners underneath look like. A 36" griddle, 3 burners - those better oughtta be either split Y or U-shaped burners or else you're gonna get some big-time temperature variance on your griddle top, something that's hard to avoid even with a 4-burner unit like the Blackstone.

Comment

My EVO has a hotspot and I use it to my advantage. That's where I would boil water or get a more aggressive sear on something.

Comment

Very nice. I would surely consider the Grilla Primate at that price point.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, you want more stainless as soon as you step above the $500 price point in my opinion. I still wish they would make a 3 burner primate, the 4 is just too big for me.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah, the Primate is the way I'd go if I were buying a gas grill or griddle today.

I've been looking at the LoCo 3-burner griddle as well as the Blackstone, Pit Boss, & Camp Chef just out of curiosity. I'm wondering if a griddle would adequately take the place of gas grill? We mostly do burgers, some fish once in a while, and an occasional steak on the current grill. One of my concerns is that even with a good cover, no griddle is probably meant to stay out year round like the grill is. I'm in western NC and we get all 4 seasons, not a lot of snow, but plenty of rain. I could wheel a griddle down a slight hill, in the grass, to my crawl space when it's not being used but that would get old after a while I'm guessing. The other thing about the LoCo is that it requires electrical power for the burners, but I'm not sure if that means just plugging it in to an outdoor outlet or if it needs to be hard-wired in someplace? If I went with a griddle, could I use the same hose/regulator connection I have to the gas grill and just connect it to the griddle or do you need something special for the gas connection?

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Con't

As far as being outside - mine lives outside under a cover year round. As long as I am sure to wipe down the top with a little oil after cleaning after each cook, I've not had rust issues. If you buy one, I recommend getting one that has a hard cover, kinda like a regular gas grill, but also keep it under a canvas type cover as well for protection when not in use.

The grills will come with their own hose and regulator for a 20# LP tank. Only Camp Chef sells a NG conversion kit I think.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Con't 2

The Loco has a hard cover for the top, and Blackstone and a few other offer that as well. Camp Chef does not, which is my only gripe about their flat top grills.

I will end by saying the only thing I cook on my regular gas grill anymore is bone-in chicken or other irregularly shaped stuff that is not flat and would not cook well on a griddle. And I have charcoal grills that I prefer for those things. If I ever build a outdoor kitchen, it will be just a kamado and a flattop.
              Last edited by jfmorris; May 5, 2022, 07:54 AM.

• heraldstorm
              heraldstorm commented
              Editing a comment
              I've recently acquired a Blackstone 36-inch. One of the best pickups I've ever made. I live in nearly the opposite end of the spectrum, we have too much heat and not enough moisture, but I hear as long as you keep it covered (the covers are very well made) and use it at least once a month, you won't ever really worry about rust. I would advise putting a finishing coat (thin) of oil on it once it's cooled back down in your case, though.

Thank you glitchy for your comments, I think you're right about the connections.

jfmorris - thanks for your comments and advice as well, all great points. The fact the LoCo has a hard top and supposedly they will have their covers available soon, or I could get the right size one just about anyplace else, makes me feel better about it. As always, I suffer from analysis paralysis, and I haven't decided if I want to get a griddle and ditch the gas grill or not. I still have my Grid Iron smoker that I could utilize for things other than straight forward smoking too.
            It's just exactly this type of commraderie that makes AR worth the cost of admission, I learn so much from everyone here.
            Thanks again gentlemen for taking the time to respond to my query, I do appreciate it.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris ' advice is spot on and is awesome. I have a 36inch Blackstone. I basically traded my gas grill for the griddle. I wasn't having the success on my gas grill that I had with my smokers and Santa Maria grill. I have had such a great time on my Blackstone. I use it all the time. I, too, have it under cover. I can't advise about brands because I've only used mine.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't discount the Blackstone grills - they have hard tops available too, and may cost a lot less than the LoCo, if that matters.

I don't think exact temperature control matters a lot. I use a $30 IR thermometer to make sure mine is in the 350-400 range, and then start cooking. Most commercial kitchens grill stuff on a gas fired griddle style surface, and do not have digital temperature controls.

Another option is a griddle top that will sit inside your current Weber Genesis grill.

Watched the video and it looks very nice.

Got me thinking (dangerous I know) would a three zone induction griddle be more accurate? No need for gas just plug it in.

Probably cost prohibitive but might be cool.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I would be curious what you find like this. I don't think it will be something that plugs into an outlet though, as a single induction burner is right at the limit you can power from a normal 15A wall plug. The few dual zone induction cooktops I found were commercial 3-phase offerings that cost $10,000... and it was meant to be hard wired in a commercial kitchen.

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris good points! Figured there had to be some reason someone hasn't made one yet.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Hrm... I don't think induction is a good tool for a large format griddle, to be honest. Beyond cost, the heat from it doesn't spread very efficiently beyond the induction coils.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here