Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tried these burners in their Blackstone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tried these burners in their Blackstone?

The link to the original burners on Amazon is no longer any good.

However, I found these, which have the same dimensions listed as in the original link.

I'm wondering if this might be something cool to try, moreso if anyone's done it lately?

Here they are:

Click image for larger version

Name:	61JpaqQI95L._AC_SL1050_.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1100627
    Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; September 26, 2021, 07:14 AM.

Why? Are your burners not getting your griddle hot enough? My 2 burner Blackstone, with the delivered H-style burners, does a very good job of heating it. Based on the shape, and the fact these are meant for the Jenn-Air, I'm not sure the mounting would work the way the video shows, or even fit - in fairness, I haven't looked at the mounting to see. Seems like a lot of work/hacking for little benefit unless your flattop is not heating well.

That skepticism aside, love to hear the results if you do try it.

Comment

No no, it gets hot. It gets plenty hot. I'm just wondering if I can get a little more even heat like this. I do find the front edge doesn't get nearly as hot and the farthest sides kinda stay a lot cooler, too.

Now, to be honest, I still think looking at these burners that the front edge would still be a problem, these aren't going to fix that. But having a really hot zone in the middle and quite a lot cooler on the edges is a little irritating.

Also, to be fair, I'm also going to build some shields to put on the sides to keep heat in on the left and right sides, that will probably help with heat out at the edges - and also keep my shelves from being SO DAMNED HOT! I seriously can barely use my shelves it's so hot on the sides. I've already melted several things and burned my hands a couple of times.

Here's a video of a guy who did a cheap and easy mod on his Blackstone to help with heat shielding, and I was super impressed that he did a with/without demonstration with his infrared thermometer to show the difference. I have got to do something with mine, the heat on the shelves is ridiculous!

But I just thought it was a neat thing, trying to upgrade the burners to a slightly different shape and "spread" the heat out a little bit. I wondered, as in all the reading/watching I've done on mods, this is the only time I've seen this, and searching on Amazon, I don't find anything about upgrading or changing the burners.

So maybe it's really not worth it....
      Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; September 26, 2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        My problem is I'm not finding the double-walled perforated ones like he had - and I'm thinking that will make them much more effective. I could always double up on them, just would rather have them already that way.

Yeh, the issue of blocking the wind/heat from the sides and back is very annoying. Blackstone was (is?) out of stock on their wind shields, but I found these on Amazon that work great. Blocks the sides and back - downside is they need hacking to fit if you use the hard cover that is screwed to the flattop. Mine are for the 22", but there are ones for other sizes.

AmazonSmile: DELSbbq Wind Screen for Blackstone 22" Griddle and Other Griddle(Cannot be Used at The Same time as The Grill Hard Cover),Wind Guard, Black : Everything Else

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        Editing a comment
        Exactly my thought, I use my hard cover for my 36". Even the ones made by/for Blackstone have reviews talking about what a PITA they are for fitment - and they sell (or DID sell) those on their website. Maybe that's why they stopped getting them in stock?

Not to mention it seems they've gone through several designs of their flattop and the one I have, the newest one, the edge slopes down on the sides when coming forward, so straight-edged types won't fit all that well all the way to the front.

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        DogFaced PonySoldier I took my hard cover off. Never used it during a cook although it did/does help reduce splatter on the back. As for the wind shields I posted, I also have the sloping sides. However, the shields still work great at reducing wind/heat and the slope does not impact that.

Originally posted by tRidiot View Post
      Also, to be fair, I'm also going to build some shields to put on the sides to keep heat in on the left and right sides, that will probably help with heat out at the edges - and also keep my shelves from being SO DAMNED HOT! I seriously can barely use my shelves it's so hot on the sides. I've already melted several things and burned my hands a couple of times.
      I bought some side shields from Amazon this past Spring and they work great. They help in keeping wind from blowing around the flames some and definitely help keep the shelf area from getting hot. I also have noticed the sides of the griddle are definitely hotter than without the shields.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        Editing a comment
        Love your username, BTW! You get that from the TV show, the book or just using the Spanish word for old warhorse? lol

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        DogFaced PonySoldier putting my pedant hat on, rocin means a work horse or low-quality horse, but can also mean an illiterate or rough man. Ante can be used as a standalone word, or as a suffix. Rocinante is the name of Don Quixote's horse, and as this passage indicates is sort of a play on words:
        "a name, to his thinking, lofty, sonorous, and significant of his condition as a hack before he became what he now was, the first and foremost of all the hacks in the world"

• Rocinante
        Rocinante commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, it did come from Don Quixote's horse, however it was taken from the 1978 album A Farwell to Kings, by RUSH. In the song Cygnus X-1 it was the name of the ship being flown thru the galaxy. I take that it must have been a old wornout workhorse of a ship.

Thanks!

I also have to add that I hate my Blackstone griddle cover. It doesn't fit right, it's extremely hard to get it over, it's super tight on the shelves and for what I paid ($30 or $40???) I'm very disappointed.

I also think this has to do with the many iterations of different shelving and tops they've gone through over the last few years. I'd love to add in a couple of little racks on my shelves or something, but there's absolutely zero way they will fit and still be able to use the cover.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        I was ready to buy another cover for my Blackstone, which I was not thrilled about, and then decided to send a photo of it to CoversandAll. I had left the grease trap attached and they contacted me almost immediately asking if I wanted to leave it attached or remove when storing. For about another 30 dollars or so they made a perfect custom cover for it which fits perfectly and is a much higher quality than what I had purchased before.

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought this one on Amazon. It is a bit big for my 22", but does a much better job than the BS soft cover (which I returned). It has a nice drawstring at the bottom to close off underneath the griddle.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here