Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks To You Knuckleheads 😉 Now I WANT A Griddle…. Need Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks To You Knuckleheads 😉 Now I WANT A Griddle…. Need Help Please

Man, seeing all these people getting a new griddle or talking about them has given me MCS As some of you might know, I own a townhome with no yard, and just a smallish patio outside in the front. My kitchen is also kinda small and my only vent is the worthless microwave style, which blows it back into the kitchen. I’d like to be able to cook on a small flattop occasionally in my 2 car garage or just outside of it.

Here’s what I’m looking for, a small propane or butane flattop with a side burner. It can be a standalone, but I’d like to find something maybe on a collapsible or folding cart. I have a place in my garage to keep it against the wall. My space to store it will be about 33” wide, could go 36” if I had to. I’d like something that wouldn’t stick out more than about 18” from the wall.

I’d love to be able to do some stir frys, burgers, philly cheese steaks etc. I never do those because of the smoke it would make inside my house. And I hate firing up the kettle all the time just for some of this. What I’m looking for has to also have a side burner so I can use my CI for blackened ribeyes, fish or whatever. I’d also like to be able to fry foods on it. So, I need one that will be able to get the oil hot enough for frying as well.

I found a small 17” Blackstone at Walmart ($179.) that would work for me, if the side burner would get hot enough for deep frying. I can’t tell from the description. But I’d also prefer something similar on its own cart, if it’d fit in my space I have….again, is there something out there like this that has its own stand or cart and would fold up? I also don’t need anything bigger than a 17” because 95% of the time I’ll be cooking just for myself. Thanks for any suggestions. Here’s the Blackstone I’m referring to and a picture of where I’d put it in my garage.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; August 23, 2021, 03:16 PM.

BlackStone makes a foldable cart. I have one. It fits the 17" and 22". It is also adjustable height wise.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve. Any pics of yours already on your phone?

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought that for my son for Christmas. Takes the big tank or the Coleman.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 or anyone else, what is the Coleman you’re referring to? If it’s smaller than a regular size propane tank, that’d be great.

According to Blackstone that side burner is 12,000 BTU, which should be plenty for frying. I deep fry on the side burner of my gasser which is only 10,000 BTU and it's more than enough. For a cart you could get a small stainless prep table.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mnavarre That’s good to know, it’s been years since I’ve had anything gas. I bought a portable electric burner once for frying, didn’t get near hot enough for me. Sounds like this one could work. Preciate the info.

DO NOT park any of yern veehickle(s) in the garage. Problem solved. An if’n somebody tells ya, ya hafta, move. Priorities, yessir! MCS 👍

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	98D91A42-D666-42A8-B225-CF8093F3365F.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	1081973Steve B Hi John. Here is a photo of the cart mentioned by Steve. It folds up for travel and the little side shelf just pops off. Works great.
      Last edited by Jfrosty27; August 23, 2021, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Frosty…No! I need it now! 😂 Thanks brother!

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve B and Jfrosty27 I was reading some questions about this cart on Amazon about this Blackstone model. Blackstone themselves answered the guys question, and they specifically said the 17” griddle with side burner will not fit that cart. They also said they do not make a cart for that model, which I bought today.
        Last edited by Panhead John; August 24, 2021, 03:04 PM.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John That bites.
        Than probably a stainless food table would probably be your best choice.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/coll...2-kettle-grill

Or buy an EVO and park outside.
      Last edited by glitchy; August 23, 2021, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, but I’m wanting something quick and easy, without having to mess with coals.
        Last edited by Panhead John; August 23, 2021, 04:08 PM.

I might be missing something, but why use CI to if you have the griddle out already? It's large, flat, and hot as you care for it to be. Seems redundant to me. I've never tried it on mine, but you could probably just put a pot of oil on the flat top and get it to heat just fine. As Harry Soo says, "A BTU is a BTU, no matter where it comes from." The only flaw in using the flat top to heat a pot might be a warping issue due to the pot acting as a heat sink in one area of the griddle top. But damn it John, I'm an electrician not a metallurgist. I can't know these things for sure.

If you are committed to having a flat top with a side burner with enough heat output to heat oil, and want a stand that collapses for storage. Well, good luck to you. Or maybe just whistle up one of these from Blackstone.
      Last edited by willxfmr; August 23, 2021, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        As long as you've got it level oil spreads out a lot less than you think it would. You should be able to blacken fish on the griddle.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve never tried it on a griddle before, but hey, I can always try it after I get one and see. But I do want a side burner anyway for deep frying.
        Last edited by Panhead John; August 23, 2021, 04:21 PM.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey John, I blacken fish and steaks on my B-stone, no problem. If you only want the side burner for your CI then it might be redundant.

I saw a video the other day where they were frying at 360 degrees in a foil pan on a black stone griddle.

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds like a good solution. The low mass of the foil pan should reduce the chances of warping the griddle.

I know what you mean, getting a griddle is a scratch I'm dying to itch too.
      For now no one around here has them in stock but sooner or later I'm going to find one.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, take a long, long look at fuzzydaddy ‘s bacon spread.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan Yes I saw it....its replaced our wedding picture over the fireplace

I would seriously look at Camp Chef.

Comment

I know you wanted something separate but can I tempt you with this beautiful piece of steel?

https://snsgrills.com/collections/gr...ts/sns-plancha

Sexy. Think of all the ladies that would magically appear in your yard.

Edit: I see ol glitchy beat me to the punch with something similar. I tried.
      Last edited by STEbbq; August 23, 2021, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Completely understandable. You gotta have standards.

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Of course, you don't actually need *high* standards.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I do have high standards! I will only date women who have at least half their teeth.

Oh I’m gonna really get you going this weekend. With a little cheesesteak cook. 🙌

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Can’t wait!…..(bastard) 😂

Just because you have a spot for it, doesn't mean you should fill it with cooking equipment.

Yeah, didn't sound convincing as I wrote it. Hard to keep a straight face.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahahaha

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim….😂😂😂

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        That deserves 30 lashes with a bale of kale.

I like my Blackstone but I was going to suggest at least looking at Camp Chef too. This one seems to fit your needs
      https://www.campchef.com/cooking-sys...dition-3x.html

Edit: that might be a big big for your space but they have a 14” setup too
      Last edited by Andrrr; August 23, 2021, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Andrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I’ll definitely check it out. I went to the link you have but they don’t list the assembled dimensions. I’ll have to dig deeper.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha. I noticed that too, just the overall cooking dimensions. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with black stone or camp chef but it’s worth investigating. Looking forward to seeing what you get.

My gas stove has two small burners, one is a simmer burner so let’s not worry about that. The other small one does 9000 BTU’s. When I was out of space on the big burners, and needed one more pan hot, I put a CI skillet over that small burner and was able to cook crunchy hash browns in it. Just took some patience getting the skillet hot in the first place. I think anything in the 10-12 K range is going to give you plenty of heat for deep frying. I wouldn’t try using it for stir fry where you need to come back to temp really fast. But the flattop should handle that

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that’s what I’m looking for, a smallish flat top and a side burner capable of deep frying. If I get the Blackstone, it should work fine for me. But now a few others have mentioned Camp Chef. Gonna look at those also.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here