Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackstone seasoning sweet spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackstone seasoning sweet spot

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200718_200704.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	1071942 I have an old style Blackstone 36 inch. I am having issues keeping my seasoning on the griddle. I season from scratch get it nice black and slick. If I don't use it for a few days/weeks/months. I come back to a broken seasoning or strange rust spots. I have strip it down again and do it again. I did a test and added a very thick layer of oil and it stayed but was a hot goopy mess to cook on. What is the magic that I am missing to get that thin layer of black magic non stick coding. Any recommendations would be grea
    Last edited by Macktechie; August 3, 2021, 01:03 PM.

Following, since a flat top is on my short list of ways to keep the MCS under control.

Comment

If not used it will rust especially if there is any type of moisture. When you applied the heavy layer did you get the griddle hot and then wipe it down with a lint free cloth? My bet is that you do not need to strip it but you just need to use it. I would get it hot, wipe it down and cook some bacon. Also do you have any photos?

Comment

• Macktechie
        Macktechie commented
        Editing a comment
        Just did it but next time it happens I will attach some pictures

I think you had it right with the oil but try adding just a thin layer of oil on the surface after cleaning like you would to a cast iron pan. Just enough to make it shine, you shouldn’t have any pools of oil. The griddle is still warm when I apply the oil but I haven’t had any issues with losing my seasoning or rust.

Comment

• Macktechie
        Macktechie commented
        Editing a comment
        I do a thin layer Everytime I put it away. The thicker oil was just a test.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotcha. I would follow whatever allsid says…

What oil are you using for seasoning? I used grapeseed oil to season my griddle and haven't had any problems in the last 18 months, though it's starting to get kinda ganky, So I might strip & reseason it soon. What's your regimen for stripping and seasoning? If the seasoning is breaking it makes me think you're not getting it clean enough after stripping. When I do a cast iron piece I strip the old seasoning, usually with oven cleaner, then wash the heck out of it with dish soap and water, and then a 50/50 vinegar bath, and rinse again. then towel dry and put it on heat to really dry.

For seasoning I've had good results with grapeseed oil, avocado oil, canola, and Crisco. I avoid flax seed oil, as I've never had good results using it. Animal fats are hit & miss, I stick to veggie oils for base layers. Warm up the piece to 200° or so, put a light layer of oil on, wipe it off until it looks like you wiped it all off, and the crank it up to max until it stops smoking and starts to change color. Repeat a couple more times and you're seasoned. Don't worry about getting it black, that'll just happen as you cook.

Other than that, make sure you clean it well after each cook, put a light layer of oil or another layer of seasoning on, and if you're putting a cover on it empty your grease cup.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        I cook on my griddle at least 3 times for week. I have never stripped and re-seasoned but that is just me.

• Macktechie
        Macktechie commented
        Editing a comment
        For my seasoning I used Blackstone season oil they recommend. Daily use avocado oil. Stripping I scrap down use either. Stainless, Brillo, or stone to get done to clean metal then re-season. I clean after every one and re apply oil

I always wipe the griddle down with this after cleaning. It has never gone rancid and actually has a nice smell when you heat the griddle for the next cook.

Comment

When seasoning mine, I used Blackstones oil blend. I got the griddle rocket hot, applied a thin layer and waited until it quit smoking. I repeated that process about 5 times until I felt like I had it covered.

That said, I feel like some areas on my griddle have "chipped" off and am curious too how you strip your’s.

Comment

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          If you're getting buildup that's chipping seasoning off either a grill brick or one of those grill brushes that's basically two Chore-Boy's on a handle are useful for knocking down any thick/gunky bits. A grill brick will take your griddle down to bare metal with some time and elbow grease.

"I don't use it for a few days/weeks/months."

I think I see the problem. Also, I would apply several thin layers of oil instead of one thick layer.

Comment

• Macktechie
          Macktechie commented
          Editing a comment
          I am at fault for not using it all the time. Might be my annoyance with this issue. I have done 3 thin, 5 thin, and 8 thin coats.

Thick is the enemy of the griddle. Thin to win. Get as much off as possible and when you reseason it's about a tablespoon of oil distributed and wiped clean before burning off.

Comment

Macktechie I have had a similar issue with my Camp Chef griddle, but only if I didn't cook for a few weeks. I would pull the cover off to find brownish areas that I thought were rust, and some were. I finally though determined that a lot of what was going on was that my scraping and cleaning routine was just not getting all food debris off, as I was developing roundish patches of "rust" that corresponded with where I was smashing burgers. I bought a chain mail cleaner and really had at it, and got all that crap off there. As others have pointed out, especially listen to allsid, thick is bad. Multiple thin layers are better. Since I upped my cleaning game, mine has stayed in better shape. Last time I went to cook, I had a slight rust spot around the front corner of the grease trough (mine has a front drain), and imagine that was from rain soaking the cover, and not enough seasoning on the front corners of the griddle.

Comment

Use it more

Comment

After a week with very evening seasoning and one rain. The shade is from my hard cover.
              Attached Files

Comment

It is hard for me to tell from the photo because of the shading. Is the griddle top gray/silver or is it black?

Comment

Also can you tell us what you do after your cook. What is your clean up steps? This is a puzzle but I think everyone here will help you figure it out.

Comment

That's not adequately seasoned if the center is bare metal. How do you clean it after cooking?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here