Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor stove for griddle - how to tame the flame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor stove for griddle - how to tame the flame?

I have a few outdoor 2 or 3 burner stoves along with griddles that fit on them, but the head distribution is terrible. I know the real flattops have a more grill-like flame arrangement. Anyone tried to adapt the round burners to use with a griddle top?

Brian

way out of my league with out more info. Just received my Ooni 16 pizza oven and learned how to tame it down, cuz 900 might be great for a smarter fellow but a dumb truck driver just burns Sh#t up

Comment

• Kevin Fuess
      Kevin Fuess commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. I learned the hard way on my Ooni. At 900F turn that pizza about every 20 seconds. Pizza is done in 90 seconds.
      Lower hydration level is important at that temp as well.

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      there is a learning curve, but its a hell of a lot of fun figuring it out

I use a lodge griddle over two burners on my kitchen stove. There are certainly hot spots but I just work with them.

Comment

I've also got a number out outdoor 1 or 2 burner cookers, ranging from 55,000 BTU banjo burners to 105,000 BTU jet burners. Those put so much heat in one spot that unless you do something like Camp Chef does on the back of their griddles for their 14 and 16 inch stove systems, I am not sure how you would get rid of hot spots. The photos I've seen show welded plates on the bottom side of the Camp Chef griddles, which help distribute and disperse the heat.

I've got a Camp Chef FTG900 griddle, and as you say, it has multiple "strip" style burners rather than round burners, so the flame is already running from front to back. Mine has welded plates to distribute the heat horizontally. This makes the griddle top way 80-90 pounds. It's a beast!

Look at the photo of the bottom side of the Camp Chef stove top griddles:

It has a round welded plate above each burner, that probably helps increase thermal resistance in that spot, and help spread the heat to the rest of the griddle. You won't have that with something like a Lodge cast iron griddle or other stove top griddle that is just a uniform thickness of cast iron or cold rolled steel.

Comment

The Sizzle-Q has worked quite well for me. I've used it on BBQs but I mostly use it on a Camp Chef two-burner. I believe there is a kettle version of the Sizzle-Q from the same supplier. I got mine at Lowes I think.

Sizzle-Q is the most popular piece of outdoor cookware sold by Little Griddle, and for good reason! Sizzle-Q is sized to fit almost any gas grill on the market today, and it pioneered Little Griddle's patented vented cross-brace system, which provides our griddles with strength and even heat management. Built from 100% stainless steel, Sizzle-Q features a full-width grease well, ample griddle space, and generous sidewalls. Fun to cook on, easy to clean, and sized right for almost any gas grill, Sizzle-Q will truly turn your grill into an "outdoor kitchen." Try one today!   Specifications:Material - 100% Stainless SteelLimited Lifetime WarrantyIdeal for outdoor gas grillsDimensions - 18" W x 13" D x 3" HWeight - 9.0 lbs.U.S. Patent No. 7,647,866    

i pulled pic off google. mine has seen quite a bit more use!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bc3278d04008ba0e29f134453883c7fa.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1047304

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought a little griddle for my Genesis and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with it. Takes long time to heat up and if you leave the grill lid open to cook/grill food it cools down real fast.

Obviously you have had a better experience with it.

When I use the CC Somerset stove with 30k btu burners I use a diffuser made/sold by Camp Chef to tame the flame somewhat. It's that plate looking thing on the second burner from the left, and have them under that cast iron griddle. They really help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	somerset 04.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1047307

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly what I was going to recommend... Quite handy those steel discs.

Excellent, thank you. I have my eye on a flattop but give the two Weber kettles, the big offset, the Weber gas grill, the UDS and the Weber tamale pot mini I am getting the side-eye from the missus.

Comment

What Uncle Bob said

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here