Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I give up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deaf Arty I am a happy owner of the FTG900, and have had it since last June thanks to some really great friends that gifted it to Yvonne and myself when we were down in the dumps sitting in the hospital for 10 days last June, after her initial cancer surgery.

I use the FTG900, which is only a griddle cooker, a LOT. It's good for just about any kind of cook that you can think of that involves breakfast, veggies, stir fry, hibachi, and all meats that have a flat thin profile. About the only things I would not cook on it would be roasts, bone in chicken, or things I would smoke. I've done some great steaks, chops, burgers, etc on it. Right now I think if I had to condense to just 2 cookers, it would be my SNS Kamado and my Camp Chef FTG900, and the big Weber gas grill and the Performer and offset could go.

If you think you have real use for a gas grill that has no dome/lid to close to hold heat in, the FTG600 is a great solution. However, my use and experience with several Weber gas grills over the past 35 years has shown me they work best with the lid closed. So you likely won't be using the FTG600 in "grill" mode for cooking something like whole or spatchcocked chickens. You could probably get good results with steaks, bone in chicken, and so on though. However, aside from the stuff like that, I think you will find you want to use it more in flat top i.e. griddle mode.

However, regardless of how much you use it, the FTG600 is a great size, and you do have the OPTION to use it as an event grill. I wonder how many who have it really use it in that manner though.

I think if you want a true dual purpose cooker, the thing to take a hard look at is the Camp Chef 16" stove systems that some of the others have pointed out. You can get a 3 burner griddle that is about the same size as the FTG600 griddle, and also have the option to put pots and other accessories on the 3 30K BTU burners. I have several outdoor burners that I use for brewing beer, doing shrimp boils, and deep frying outdoors, and they come in handy to keep the heat and mess out of the kitchen.
    Last edited by jfmorris; April 9, 2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Deaf Arty
      Deaf Arty commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for the good info and recommendation. I need to re-think the choices, since I had not thought of the stove with the griddle/pizza top/grill pieces. The first priority at least originally was a griddle, and that's still the top desire. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for making me think!

I love my 600. It is the most used grilling unit I have. Now playing with my new wood fired Clemente pizza oven. Burned the first one!

Comment

Well, after a lot of thought and all you guys' advice, I opted for the Blackstone 36" four-burner griddle. Thank you all for your helpful information. I'm waiting on Amazon to deliver the flaxseed oil I need to season the top -- I don't have enough left from earlier CI seasoning. Tomorrow, I hope. I'll be sure to post some pics of early cooks. Looking forward to many a large family meal off the griddle. With a smoker and a griddle I may never cook indoors again...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Lookin forward to makin this Journey with ya, Devil Dog! Gots yer six covered, natch!

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Good call! I have never used the other brands of griddles, but I really like my Blackstone 36". I am constantly finding uses for it, and love every minute of cooking on it.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Good luck on your new griddle adventure!

I've been using avocado oil, and been very happy with that decision, since I can buy it at most grocery stores, Sam's, Costco, etc.

OK, as promised, here's the first larger cook on the new Blackstone (finally). Got the daughter and her fam over for burgers today. Not too shabby, I'd venture to say. Loving this new griddle.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210523_182046.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1035448

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good!

• prepperjack
        prepperjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I have that griddle and I absolutely love it. I'm so happy now that mornings are no longer bone-chilling cold and I can get out there and cook a proper breakfast. I'd be really wary about putting anything plastic on the side table, though. It can get *crazy* hot and I've had several friends melt squeeze bottles and other plastics that they've put there - so just be careful! I think of all my cookers, its probably the only one that the family would get upset about me getting rid of.

Looks great. You will love you flat top!

Comment

Damn you all! A week ago a griddle wasn't even on my horizon, yesterday I found a Blackstone 36" on Amazon in they're Warehouse, Like New for $200 off, needless to say I pulled the trigger!

Comment

• Deaf Arty
          Deaf Arty commented
          Editing a comment
          crpeck You'll love it!

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha. Well done. They’re a blast!

• crpeck
          crpeck commented
          Editing a comment
          I finally got it the other day, perfect timing - I was in the garage when UPS pulled up, it was pouring out, so he wheeled it right into the garage. The box had a ton of chipping tape on it, and was sorta beatup, no holes though. When I opened it up it was indeed like new, as in everything was factory wrapped, the previous owner never took it out of the box. I'm guessing buyers remorse & he/she didn't want to pay return shipping so they said it has some damage. Only thing damaged was the box LOL

crpeck Yer gonna LOVE havin that 36", please, trust Me, Amigo!

Comment

I Can always use a new 'friend' - LOL!

Comment

I find it endlessly amusing that folks on this forum don’t bother with "MCS is natural. Just think about it and you’ll make the right and reasonable choice".

Instead, you pretty much straight up get something akin to "GET OFF YOUR TAIL AND INDULGE IN THAT PURCHASE RIGHT THIS MINUTE"! "YOU’RE A FOOL TO WAIT!" 😂😂 This idea that you will regret - or are possibly even a full on idiot - for NOT buying a new cooker…

Well, I just find it hilarious!😂😂 But I also LOVE IT!!

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Isn’t amazing when a plan comes together! Hmm.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              If'n yer tryin, sidewise, or otherwise, especial Publicly, to insinuate, even fer a New York Minute, that ah'm not a 'Full On Idiot', why...then yerself an me, we'uns'll probly be havin some words, betweenst us, Brother!

Originally posted by Arsenlael View Post
            I find it endlessly amusing that folks on this forum don’t bother with "MCS is natural. Just think about it and you’ll make the right and reasonable choice".

Instead, you pretty much straight up get something akin to "GET OFF YOUR TAIL AND INDULGE IN THAT PURCHASE RIGHT THIS MINUTE"! "YOU’RE A FOOL TO WAIT!" 😂😂 This idea that you will regret - or are possibly even a full on idiot - for NOT buying a new cooker…

Well, I just find it hilarious!😂😂 But I also LOVE IT!!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	source.gif
Views:	146
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	1038233

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here