Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

webber 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

webber 22

its been a many a year since ive cooked on a weber kettle..i was in Walmart..and found a 22 /for 74.00..i don't know if that is regular price or not/no idea..
    well i bought it/ordered a cover/ash catcher/and clean out..and a Arteflame steel grill with insert...that item i have been looking at..
    I really had no need for another pit..but for some reason ..cant resists..trying something different...
    . I have a medium green egg /but Arteflame dosent make a grill to fit..that size.
    . And my PK for sure takes care of all the steaks..
    . My 560 Masterbuilt continues to amaze how well it will cook/and with all the upgrades i do to it has just made it better.
    . The Barrel House has sadley been idel way to long..
    . And My Gas Weber /coninues to be me veggie grill station/ and also use it to keep sauces/ and others warm while i putting meals together to pass out..
    . I am looking forward to cooking on this Weber again..

It's always fun to get a new grill/cooker and try out some different cooks with it. You're really going to enjoy using the Artflame, I imagine. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Kathryn

Comment

Congrats on the new addition. Yes, please show us the Artflame in action when you can.

Comment

Weber 22 kettle is a workhorse, and for $74 you HAD to have it! I also look forward to pics of your arteflame cooks.

Comment

I will post photos of it when it all arives and i cook on it.
          Ive looked at the Artflame cookers as I'm sure a lot have...Fogo had a post last week cooking /Japanese and Australian wagu meat on the Artflame...i looked around and found out they make the cast steel grills for different pits..and for 74.00..for the 22 i was all in...like always though i will wind up with many mods....just really like to cook..

Comment

• kenrobin
            kenrobin commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw that Fogo video too. It made me start thinking about the Arteflame.

I guess i schould have know that the 22 i bought at wally world was not the real weber..it is a weber made for folks like me who do not research much and buy on impluse...
          i am going to try and make a go of this..anyway..been working on some mods...
          I added handles upper and lower vents /insulation on the lid/and a thermometer so far..
          . i will add a set of hindges/i really wanted to add the SnS probe port and Smoke hole covers..but sadly they do not have any for sale..
          The Artflame insert is coming soon and as soon as i get it all in i will season and burn in the pit.
          . I must thank Tom Horsman/Mr.Bones/and Kathryn for paving the way on this pit..
          . i do have a pot coming to use as a ash catcher/ and a set of sweeps..i will see if i can work something out.
          . been busy cooking and pruning plants..mowing grass etc..
          . i will post future progress on this pit
          Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            So nice and shiny! I like the red handles and ash catcher also!

When you said you had to order an ash catcher, I knew something was up...

I guess the question is, after you spend all that time modding this off brand kettle with genuine Weber parts, would it have been cheaper to buy an actual Weber? I missed out on a lightly used Weber premium kettle last week on Facebook marketplace for $40, by being an hour too late to make the first offer.

The other question is - How tightly does it seal, and is air control good? That is a big part of temperature control on these type grills...

Comment

• kenrobin
            kenrobin commented
            Editing a comment
            I had the same thought when I read the comment about the ash catcher.

• Alphonse
            Alphonse commented
            Editing a comment
            Jim, how well does the Weber top seal to the bottom? Does it need a gasket?

You are correct...i always modifie my pits..sometime ..way to much..when i get this one completed...i will fire it up and see..what happens.. at one time i cooked on a open pit..many years ago...times have changed.
          ...i am up in youre area time to time..i have family in Decatur/Athens/Guntersville...and i stop and visit with Chris if he is in...most of the time on the road..Don McLemore is around the restaurant more often..
          Will be showing how bad or ok it turns out

Comment

I had to go out..came home the new Arteflame arrived..this is one serious..grill..heavy 20 pounds..real thick...just a couple more to go and be ready to go

Attached Files

Comment

• bardsleyque
              bardsleyque commented
              Editing a comment
              make sure her legs are sturdy,but never are they dirty!

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh snap!

This is my babe! Blue (Cubs blue) or Ernie (for Ernie banks) is the name depending on my mood. Just added an SnS Deluxe this weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	90A0E2CD-E43D-4DEB-B3BE-2D9E706FFF68.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1001759

Click image for larger version

Name:	D669D360-4645-4B63-A650-5FF9518DB584.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1001760

Comment

• grillinglousiana
              grillinglousiana commented
              Editing a comment
              wow..in.his day i was a Braves fan..but Mr.Cub..was a Dallas man who everone admired

I’ve seen that grill before and it’s called the premium jumbo Joe, so basically a 22” jumbo Joe on legs. That’s why you have the single vent on the bottom rather than the one touch and from what I can tell it’s a much flatter profile. Big box stores for ya. But given it wasn’t too much don’t let it get you down and hopefully you put it to good use.

Comment

That Arteflame is nice and thick. I might have to think about one of those some day. Then again, I have a 900 square inch griddle! What do I need a plancha for, haha!

Comment

• grillinglousiana
                Editing a comment
                I know .i have a griddle also...i dont know why i have so many pits..sickness i guess..still waiting on a few more parts to this one

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                grillinglousiana I have a similar sickness, but actually got rid of several cookers from the backyard over the past year or two - gave away a kettle to a friend, gave away my old Weber Genesis to my daughter, and moved out the two grills that I was storing for my son and son in law. I think there were 7-8 cookers at one point, got rid of 4, then have added 2 back, for 5 at the moment...

I have had my Arteflame insert for a couple of years now, it’s great in the morning for making breakfast, making some smash burgers with some bacon and grilled onions, some strips with portobello caps, and even cut some lemons in half to caramelize and then use to make lemonade! Click image for larger version

Name:	F6C128A6-1C74-49E3-A75A-C441999F48D7.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	1004255Click image for larger version

Name:	B2266B72-509F-4A9D-955C-92BCF585B4B5.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	1004256Click image for larger version

Name:	B03680A9-866F-4749-87B3-2CBE6C83B796.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	1004257Click image for larger version

Name:	E243EA6B-4C9A-4E58-9EFC-3A1190E351B9.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	1004258Click image for larger version

Name:	C07EAD0B-1AF3-4BF0-87B6-248EAB1B862C.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	1004259

Comment

• grillinglousiana
                Editing a comment
                yes..i plan to use it..still waiting on a couple more items to arrive..so i can season it and give it a go

well ive made some progress on the wall mart weber 22 /in addition a neighbor gave me a weber 22 still in the box..
              the real weber is on the left/wallyworld on right
              i added the vent handle to both and a new thermometer to both/the real weber i also added a probe port/on the wally world it would have to be under the cooking grate...much closer to the top..i may just cut a notch in that one on the lip
              i did put a ash catcher on wally world..
              simple add on just use hose clamps to attach it to the legs..do not cut a notch in the legs.
              i was going to put a hinge on both pits..but the wally world will require some sort of spacer on bottom bowl..still thinking that one thru
              i also started to lengthen the legs 6 inches.
              but i need to get some better sheet metal screws...i will when i not tired of messing with them
              going to go ahead now and burn them in and give them a workout cooking

.you can see the holes i drilled in wally world for the hinge..would help if i checked things out first
              . i used a corded drill and colbalt bits..so much easier than a battery drii and titanium bits

Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here