Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Temp Probe placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Temp Probe placement

I have a weber 22.5 kettle and replaced the stock cooking grate with a easy-access coal grate. I have been playing with where to place the probe on the grate so not to interfer with cooking space-I'm using a maverick 733. I was thinking of clipping the probe to the bottom of one of the flip-grates so when I close the grate the probe will hang right under the food. I question is will this placement give me inaccurate temps.

Im sure it will be accurate enough. I try to place it as close to the meat as i can.

Comment

I run the thermocouples through a 5/16 hole I drilled just above the grate and about 3 in from one of the handles (22.5 Kettle) The one for pit temp I keep at least 2in away from the outer edge of the grate and stay about 1 inch or a little more away from the meat and 1in above the grate. Don't know how much of a difference above or below makes, I suppose you could do a dry run and take notes. After a little experimenting you can come up with a method that works for your set-up consistent one cook to the next. Keep in mind where you place the lid vents, this makes a big difference in your temp reading and where the heat is going. Hope I am of some help here.
      Very Good article on this subject on AR Thermometer Rating and Review page.
      Last edited by A Fid; August 13, 2014, 12:27 PM.

Comment

In general, you should always locate your temp probe a few inches away from the food. Otherwise, it will read halfway between the fire temp and the meat temp, which in the early stages of cooking meat right out of the fridge, can result in a 30F error! Try keeping the thermo in the same place from cook to cook, so it is one less variable to control. If you don't have a grill thermometer clamp, simple ball up a square of aluminum foil, wedge between the grates, and push the tip of the thermo through the foil so it sits slightly above the gril's surface.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, pit-buddies. My Weber is just 2 month old and I am just beginning the tweaking phase. BTW Doc Blonder, a big 'hats-off' on the salt webinar. Enjoyed it very much and looking forward to, I hope, many more.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here