Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More kudos to Weber customer service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More kudos to Weber customer service

I have been having trouble with the gas igniter on my Performer Deluxe. It would light, run a bit, but then go out. I would have to keep lighting it until the metal close to the gas port got hot enough to auto ignite. I did everything I found on youtube and I thought I had it working, but it started misbehaving again. The Kettle is in it's 11th year, so I decided to replace the parts involved.

I called Weber customer service and talked to a rep. She asked me if I had done this and that and finally asked if I had taken a straw and blown out the charcoal dust in the igniter tube. I had not. So I got the part numbers in case the, (oh wait - I can't say that...),straw trick did not work. But it did work, and the flame is more powerful than it has been in several years.

The rep saved me, (and deprived Weber), ~ $75.

Thanks Weber!

That is really good customer service.

Comment

Who woulda thunk...but it makes sense. Glad it was an easy fix for you, RonB .

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks! Now if I could only find a straw......

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Just remember - it's blow, not suck...

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          OH NO! Hope that was not the Last "Straw"
          Save one to sip PBR.
          Happy Grilling to you.

Same thing happened to me. That burner seems susceptible to getting ash stuck in it somehow which is kinda of a bummer because in kamado low and slow mode you have a lot of ash falling onto it. I can tell over time when the flame starts turning more yellow than blue that it’s time for a cleaning.

Comment

I've wondered about ash in that burner tube, and that is one reason I never put the Slow 'N Sear next to the side table, as that would put it over the burner.

Question - where do you insert this straw before blowing? Into the burner tube down in the kettle, from under the table, where?

I guess I could always also drag my air compressor hose out there and use compressed air to blow things out.

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            I take my compressor out there. I’ll take the clip off where the gas line meets the burner tube, remove the gas line, then blow from the inside of the grill out. I never wanted to force ash into the orifice in the gas line. I have tried blowing from the outside in but that blows around all the ash that’s inside your grill and it gets everywhere. After that I figured I would go inside out.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan Oops! I didn't realize what I was saying... removing foot from mouth and sneaking away from this conversation now...

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Andrrr has it right. Ya gotta move the table top to get to that end of the tube. Since I was usning a straw, (I always keep a straw or two around 'cause ya never know when one will come n handy....

Next time I'll probably use the compressor just to make sure I got it all out.

FireMan

I am wondering where you put the straw also. My Performer is having the same problem with the burner. I wouldn’t use the air compressor though. No matter how clean you think you have the bowl I bet plenty of ash/dust will blow up from there.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah! X 2. 🙃

Weber customer service is widely respected for good reason. And, I'm not opposed to upgrades and improvements, but, as a Neanderthal in good standing, IMO, perfection was hit with the release of the chimney. YMMV

Comment

And we have an answer to where you stick the straw before blowing. Ol’ Andy at RRR has a compressor, yes he does, and he’ll show ya where to stick it cept it might blow all over the place. This is gettin deep. Blame it on jf, yessir,

Comment

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              Don’t make me draw it out... might get flagged

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              ROFL! Hahahahahaha

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here