Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke Flavor using slow n low charcoal setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I smoke St. Louis ribs for 5-6 hours at 225. At higher temps, they may get done a little faster, but I always plan at least 5 hours, even at 250 or so.

I buy B&B lump and briquettes at Academy, and Lowe's just started selling the lump.

• zinfella
    replied
    Originally posted by glitchy View Post
    \

You’ll probably get 100 responses for a rib method,
    Oh yeah!!

But, there are so many variables (weather, including wind, etc.) that effect the cook, you have to be ready to make adjustments. I like my 6-7 hour ribs, and I like my 4 hour ribs, they're different but all good.

I'm able to keep my Performer out of the wind, which really helps to maintain steady temps. I use temp probes on the grill, and in the cook when appropriate. Thermometers built into the lid are fine if you're coking on the lid, but unreliable otherwise. Get a good quality digital thermometer that offers probes for both the meat and the grill temps.

Leave a comment:

• zinfella
    replied
    How are you starting your charcoal? If you're using a petroleum based liquid starter fluid to get that job done be aware that it can show up in the taste of the food. Yuck!

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent suggestions.☝️

• tbahder1
    replied
    I appreciate what rickgregory said: I too get impatient and drop the food on as I drop the wood on. Maybe that is too soon. I will give the wood a chance to settle in during lighting.

Leave a comment:

• tbahder1
    replied
    I appreciate the comments about making one change at a time. I will try to change the B&B charcoal first.

Regarding the oak: I too feel that oak produces a mild smoke. But there are many varieties of oak. The oak I used grows in The Clearwater area in Florida.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    Most everything has been covered, but I do have one question - what do you mean by bad smoke? Because when I started smoking on the SNS/Weber combo, I would get impatient and drop the food on as I dropped the wood on and the early smoke seemed harsh to me.

What I've learned to do now is this:

1) Start 6-12 briquettes in the corner of the SNS. Err on the low side. DO NOT add the other coals yet.
    2) When the initial briquettes are ashed over, add the rest of the coals spread out in the SNS
    3) Plop on two chunks of wood, one on the lit coals, one the coals next to those (that will light next).
    4) put on the grill, the lid and... walk away for 20-30 minutes.

Step 4 is important. Let the smoke settle in. Don't go longer, but give it a bit to do that. Then add the meat. Insert/postion the temp probes and go have a beer,

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    If you already have a SnS, I’d say keep using that. Many people here use the SnS all the time.

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    You should be able to get the chunks at the same Ace or Lowe’s your wife found B&B charcoal. Keep on trying, just go buy a bunch of ribs at Costco or Sam’s and cook all weekend ;-)

• glitchy
    replied
    Unless you know you love oak smoke, I’d say go buy one of the little $6 bags of pecan or hickory chunks Weber has and try 2-3 chunks of that. I’m not sure the wife and I like oak. The couple times I’ve used it, it has actually seemed very strong or distinct to me and everyone else says it’s mild.

You’ll probably get 100 responses for a rib method, I’ll share mine too. I follow a virtual friends competition method. 260 degrees whole cook. After two hours wrap in foil with some stuff (butter, juice, molasses, etc.), remove from foil after 1 hour and cook 1-2 more hours until where I want them. This is St. Louis ribs.

Leave a comment:

• Alabama Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    I use wood chunks sized from say half a fist to a whole fist in size. Two or three of those during the first couple of hours is all you need. I usually bury those within the charcoal on the SnS. Space them so that only one burns at a time.

• zinfella
    replied
    My suggestion is to not make a lot of changes right off the bat. By making multiple changes at the same time, you'll have a hard time pinning things down as to what works best for you.

I've never used B&B charcoal so I have no comment about it. But, I've used KBB, with success, for decades. My taste buds might differ from yours, this is a trial and error exercise, that will lead you to know how to produce thins the way you like them. Take your time, change one thing at a time. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• tbahder1
    replied
    Also, thank you for the picture by Attjack and the link to the Popular Mechanics article by jfmorris. Both are very helpful in the exact way to stack briquettes. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• tbahder1
    replied
    My wife found B&B charcoal at Ace Hardware and Lowes near me.

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    I found B&B recently in a nearby Lowe’s. Also check Ace Hardware and if you have one close to you...Academy Sports and Outdoors. I would also just Google it.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here