Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used Performer $175 , good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used Performer $175 , good deal?

Got down to 175 on offer up.
    Yay or nay?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	59fbf59e45b0422aab4eb6f4cc3364dc.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	981976

Attjack just got the same or similar model - they made that model from 1990 to 2005. Not sure what he paid.

If it seems solid and has no rust, I think its a pretty good deal. Performers seem to hold value even when they are old.

The only concern I have is that special propane tank may not be refillable without paying for recertification. I am betting you can get a hose to hook up a modern full size tank or an adapter of some sort to fit the new 1# disposables. If you like the idea of propane ignition, that might be the one thing to influence you to wait for a deal on a newer Performer Deluxe. Of course, nothing made since 2005 has the stainless steel table top... so if that is what you like, go for it!
    Last edited by jfmorris; January 29, 2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• PNWsmoke
      PNWsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe not great deal if that old.
      Didn't know special tank.
      Thanks

Here is the history of the Performer model:

http://weberkettleclub.com/grills/we...ormer-history/

That first gen SS model has a 5 pound tank, of a type that is no longer made. You can still buy them online if you search, but the issue is that most places won't refill a tank that is 10 years past its certification date. It costs about $25 to get a tank recertified - then they stamp the new date on the collar. Finding someone to actually re-certify the unusual 5 pound propane tank will be the issue.

Here is a discussion on another forum about this exact topic:

https://weberkettleclub.com/forums/i...?topic=16939.0
    Last edited by jfmorris; January 29, 2021, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• PNWsmoke
      PNWsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Greatly appreciate info

I really wanted a SS Performer with gas-assist so when I found one I snatched it up. That one looks to be in great condition. If you contact the seller ask him if there is any rust big or small. Mine has some rust. When I got to the seller's house I was so focused on the gas assist which he demonstrated I didn't even notice there were no ash sweepers. After I got it home I also found that the sweeper hardware that secured it was still there and rusted. I ended up using a hacksaw to remove it. Then I installed new sweepers.

When I posted about my potential purchase someone pointed out that the tank alone was probably worth the price I haggled. I paid $80 BTW, jfmorris any idea what recertification might cost? I refill camping propane bottles for use with my Big Buddy Heater. Although I don't plan on using them past a year or so before replacing them. When I bought the refill kit, it came with a little tank that was meant to be refilled. So PNWsmoke has options in regard to the propane.

I would definitely ask about any defects and offer him something lower.
    Last edited by Attjack; January 29, 2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      You may be able to refill it. I am just not sure what type of connector is on those old 5 pound tanks Weber used. Based on the fact they used them from 1990-2004, they might be the old style propane tanks, with the "POL" valve (inside threads), but might be something else entirely, but I know its entirely different than the new 1 pound disposables.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris I also just swap out my old 20# tanks when the time comes with Blue Rhino at Ace which is kind of nice. But I love the 5# size so I'm hoping it can be reused. In time I will find out!

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd think an industrial gas supplier should be able to re-cert a tank, but I've never tried.

And I thought it was a good deal. I offered 150.
    But the tank issues may be a problem.
    Thanks for the info

Comment

Couple available on classifieds up here all $300 plus and firm on the price.
      Great advice above as ammo for haggling.

Comment

This forum
        already invaluable info

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	AB03BDDC-4C31-4649-9D11-CAB51FE1826C.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	982021 I paid $225 this spring for the one pictured here. And happy I did. I love it. It’s a newer model though and in mint condition.

Comment

Snatch that thing before Someone else does.

Comment

I paid $85.00 for an older one. Had to replace the grates and it had a few spots of rust.

Comment

175 too much for me.
                100 now seems more real.

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Offer him $100!

• PNWsmoke
                  PNWsmoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Offered 150 originally

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I see, well there's plenty of fish in the sea.

My Performer is a 2010 model and I found an adapter to convert it to a 20 lb tank. One fill lasts over a year if I don't leave it on...

Comment

Grab it !

Comment

Here is my thought, if you would like it, buy it. Cook on it for a year or two, if you don’t like it, sell it. If you lose 50 dollars after a few years, think about it as it only cost you 50 dollars, over 2 years to own it. Your ownership cost does not show itself until you sell it.

Comment

She says no rust inside and has 2 tanks unknown if certified.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here