Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-level grate and heat defector accessory for the kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-level grate and heat defector accessory for the kettle

This looks pretty nice. I want to buy a new SS grate for my SS Performer. I may end up getting this for $86.

Click image for larger version

Name:	af3cpKD.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	981524

I was looking at that also, along with other things from only fire. Wondering how close to the lid that grate is.

Comment

Kind of interesting concept! But I, for one, would probably go to flip my meat, and flip it right into that gap between the grates and into the fire, if cooking on a split grate on multiple levels, haha.

I have a Hovergrill, and its good for expanding the cooking on my kettle, but its also a pain, as the clearance is so low that its hard to get under it with the tongs to flip wings or stuff on the bottom grate. And its support legs get in the way of meat on the main grate. I usually end up just taking it off and putting it back, when its time to rotate or flip meat on the kettle. The elevated grate from SNS is better in this regard, as its a little bit higher than the Hovergrill, and it doesn't have legs that run across the width of your main cooking grate.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        "But I, for one, would probably go to flip my meat, and flip it right into that gap between the grates and into the fire, if cooking on a split grate on multiple levels, haha."

I'm not at all proud of some of the things I have said and done when that kind of thing has happened in the past. Thankfully, I have calmed down as kids came along and I have gotten older.

There are quite a few configurations. Although I'm not ordering it today It seems like I should probably get it at some point. I was going to buy a new grate after winter passed when I anticipate using the Performer more often. On the other hand, sometimes MCS hits me fiercely.

Name:	71tSD6osr%2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	981548

Name:	71-kqhnkRBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	981549

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay, thanks for the further explanation. I was wondering what the advantage is over just a normal two zone setup. I like the ability the use the full heat deflector under a full grate.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. I wouldn't surprised if I used that full deflector configuration most often. Especially if I ended up taking it down to the cabin where I don't have a kamado.

So that thing is a heat deflector. Gee, I thought it was a pizza stone, but the configuration of it looked odd.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        You could definitely use it as a pizza stone too.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Although it would be pretty low in the grill.

I guess the downside would be that if I think I want to use this as my main great for regular grilling is that those grate supports will be there and potentially get in the way of accessing the food.

Name:	bvaRxCQ.png
Views:	312
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	981591

Comment

So does the deflector sit right on top of the coals?? Hmmmm

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          No, it sits on the base unit (see directly above).

There are surely alot of options and configurations available with this accessory

Comment

It's about having fun, with some folks more adventuresome than others. Trust me when I tell 'ya that we enjoy an extensive menu when it comes to variety. But, we pretty well now what we're going to wind up with before I fire up the grill. At our age, experimenting with new fangled accessories for our performer doesn't incite much interest here, with the exception of the SnS. The stuff in this thread reminds me of an Erector Set, no disrespect intended. It looks hard to use for what we do, but then to be fair, we don't cook different food items on the grill at the same time, save to say maybe some baked spuds, then veggies as the main cook rests. IOW, we're only using one cooking temp oer cook, multiple grill levels on the at the same time are not for us.

OTOH, if this stuff trips your trigger then more power to 'ya!

Comment

That is pretty cool. Turns your kettle into an un-insulated Kamado

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I've often thought about insulating a kettle.

I have not because I have no interest in a Kamado. A lot of folks love 'em, and good for them. Actually, I thought that I was interested in a pellet pooper until I discovered their limitations and the fact that the model that interested me is not without issues that would tick me off at those prices.

With a Weber kettle, having a Performer model doesn't change the way it cooks, but it does make my life easier and more convenient.

Comment

This is not going the way that I'd like to see it go. I'm not opposed to folks giving this stuff a try, I'm only opposed to becoming involved myself. I'd love to see some results, including images, from those accessories. That is how things get improved.

Even though I enjoy watching sports car racing, that doesn't mean that I'm in the market for a Ferrari.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              All you really need is a Weber Kettle (and I would argue a chimney as well) in whatever size fits your company. The Slow 'n Sear isn't necessary, heat deflectors aren't necessary, risers aren't necessary, fans aren't necessary, none of that stuff is. But a lot of that stuff is helpful and fun as well. That's why I have so many cookers and why love new accessories.

Attjack I gotta wonder why Weber doesn't sell a kettle with that diffuser and charcoal ring here in the US? I saw it on their European kettles last year, and the link you gave is for their New Zealand page. While I don't need it, due to having the SNS, it seems it would be a nice option to have for folks in the US, and not just the rest of the planet...

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              au4stree that is it. I've never seen one in a store, didn't know it was an option here even. Must be new for 2021, as a kettle with a hinged lid would have caught my eye.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I hope they offer the diffuser separately at some point.

• au4stree
              au4stree commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris, nor have I. This video is the first time I saw one. https://youtu.be/fqQdJfZp5ws

I bought a raised grate from SnS and it fits my Performer perfectly even with a pork butt on it. When I do a pork butt I like to put some smoked sausage directly beneath the butt to get some drippings, makes for a great appetizer waiting for the butt to finish.

Comment

I really like the design. Not featured in the photos you posted (thank you), but I assume you can have a full-size grate at the "bottom" position (above the heat deflector), and also place half a grate in the top position? What I'm after is getting more grate space. So the full grate, plus a 'half-moon' on top.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I think you could do that but I believe it only comes with 2 half circle grates. If they included 4 you could have 2 complete levels although access would be tricky.

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve been contemplating buying the water pan cover for the 22.5 from Cajun B. Wondering it it could be made into a heat deflector....

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here