Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do You Place Your Slow N Sear in your Weber Performer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do You Place Your Slow N Sear in your Weber Performer

Bought a great 2 year old Performer just before Christmas. Also purchased the SnS Platinum Bundle to use with it.

So, with the Performer you don't just stand anywhere in relation to the kettle due to Lid placement in its holder and due to the table 180 degrees across from the lid in its holder. Trying to decide the best place to put the SnS in relation to where I stand to cook. Obviously I don't want to have to reach over it so that leaves directly across from me, near the lid holder, or otherwise. What have you chosen as to placement and why? BTW, I am left handed and that seems to matter although I can learn to adjust.

I would think opposite side of where you are reaching over the grill.

Comment

I put mine opposite the table so I have more room to move food around with the lid in the cradle. I also feed my probes through from the table side. You could always reverse the performer so the table is on the left to compensate for being left handed.
      Last edited by Red Man; January 24, 2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        +2

Any downside to being on the lid holder's side?

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Right. I was thinking you’d want it directly under the sns but maybe not if you are lighting a chimney with it. Could go either way

• Alabama Smoke
        Alabama Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems like a great spot for it........until you have to reload charcoal. But hey, in that event it seems one could simply lay the lid down on the ground/deck etc and be able to take care of business then as usual.

• Alabama Smoke
        Alabama Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        deleted
        Last edited by Alabama Smoke; January 25, 2021, 05:17 PM. Reason: Deleted accidental duplication

I place mine directly across from me at what would be the rear. Table on the right, lid on the left. Temp monitors on the table. Probe wires fed under the lid with grate temp probe near what would be the front directly in front of where I stand. Works perfectly.

Comment

I also have a Performer, and I added a lid hinge at 9:00. So I place the SnS at 9:00 too. That doesn't restrict access from any other reachable part of the Kettle. I do wish I had placed the lid hinge at 10:30 though. The lid is a bit close at times.

Comment

I don’t have a performer but I keep it on the left side of my kettle as I’m looking at it, also the same side I hang the lid on, so I’d have to assume it would be on the lid side of the performer as well

Comment

To the left. I am right handed. Probably not a good reason, but thats it.

Comment

Richard Chrz - I evidently did not include a photo of the installed hinge in my post about my Performer mods. I may not have had it when I made the post.
            I just took a table chair outside and sat in it while opening the lid with the hinge attached. I did it, but my arm touched the lid on several attempts which could be slightly uncomfortable on a bare arm. To close the lid took some effort because you have to lift the lid straight up to unlock it so it will close. If you were to wear a heatproof glove and grab the lid with both hands it would be easier.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Again, thank you for taking the perspective!

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Richard Chrz - It wouldn't take much for someone to weld that notch closed. A little touch up with with a grinder to flatten the weld and it's done.

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know as well. Like many of us, I have that friend! My 22’s (wsm and kettle in table) and my 26 (likely in a table this year) all likely get mods this year.
              Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 24, 2021, 07:30 PM.

Mine is on the left opposite the table. I put it there because I have a fan mod table side. I am also right handed. I too run probes under the lid and the table is nice to set the controllers on. You don't want to run probes wires across the coals.

Comment

Tom,

Because I added a fan controller to my Performer, and wanted it in the front, I use my SNS in the back, standing at the table, when doing low and slow cooks. Sometimes, if just using it to sear steaks, I'll put it up front. I don't put it on the left because it is too hard to refuel with the lid over there in the bail holder. On the right - I don't like that position because for some reason I don't like burning it over the ignitor tube all the time - and next to the side table - mine has the plastic side table.

So for me, front or back, depending on if I am cooking over it or doing low and slow.

Comment

I place mine at 3:00 on the table side because of the gas assist. I turn the lid so the vent is at 9:00 opposite the S&S. I don't use the bail holder I just put the lid on the deck because it gets in the way. No reason for this set up except it's the way I have always done it. It's also how I set up my WSCG. I think I saw a Youtube video on how to set up a two zone fire and they set it up this way and I just went with it.

Honestly it probably doesn't matter, whatever works for you ergonomically. I do think setting the vent opposite the fire draws heat and smoke across the food.

Comment

I’m left handed. I have mine on the right. I most commonly use my Performer with the stainless steel half moon griddle, making burgers. So the S&S right there makes the most sense.

Comment

I also have an 18" Jumbo Joe with the SnS basket. I set it on a round aluminum table on my deck. As a result, I can move around anywhere and have tried it about everywhere and finally decided that opposite me is best. I usually keep the lid and holder across from me also, although it can get in the way if I need to reload charcoal.

I have considered turning the kettle around and basically cooking from the rear with table on left and lid holder to the right, but that puts my controls on the other side from me. Of course about the only controls are the lower vent/ash catcher as I do not have gas assist, but I do want to be able to easily adjust the bottom vent.

Seems it works from anywhere almost as folks here seem to favor different positions. I think I will just continue to try different ways, starting with it directly across from me and going from there. I totally see how it can get in the way of a fuel addition if by the lid and I definitely do not want to be reaching across it, nor do I want near the table for convenience, although since I do not have the gas assist, there would be no danger with regard to that in my case. That more or less leaves me with about three alternatives I think, directly across, across but nearer the table or across but nearer the lid. I will just experiment and see what seems to work best for me.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thought and experience.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think another option is to just set the lid down somewhere else other than the bail holder if its getting in your way. For low and slow cooks, probably won't matter, but if you are flipping burgers or chicken left handed, just set it down elsewhere for a minute while you do your tong or spatula work...

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The only issue I have when smoking on the kettle with it in the back (away from me) is that the vents are up front, blowing smoke in my face, and the dome thermometer is in the rear where I can't see it. But I am usually watching the temperature with my Smoke at grate level anyway.

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My 22" at the cabin just has the lid hook which ever the problem. If you had such a lid and the lid holder bail you would have the best of both worlds.

I’m ambidextarian & right brained & left too, with a little fore & aft to throw in, so’s I juss put it in it, the Weber that is.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here