Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS Question -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS Question -

I'm assuming I can post my SnS Kettle questions here - for you kettle masters.

Wife wanted cornish hens, but I also saw flank steak on sale..... so figured I'd do both.

My thought had been so get the SnS up to about 325-350 but starting with about a half chimney of lit coals and leaving the vent open more than normal.

I figure they can't take more than an hour-ish. But maybe I'm wrong.

When the chicken gets finished, move it to the end of the cool side, take the lid off, add another half chimney of lit coals and do the flank steak hot and fast over the coals just to get a good crust.

Am I way off here?

Any tips?

A little.

light your can o coals 1 time. Dump it and manage the temp as wide open as possible. Full wide on top. (3/4”) open on the bottom. Cook the birds at your setting and pull them off the grill to rest while you simply remove the lid and let those coals get ripping for a
    minute. Cook your steak.

game over. Dinner in an hour.

edit. Throw a tiny chunk of oak on or some pellets before cooking the steak.
    Last edited by HouseHomey; January 5, 2021, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman Corn is similar to wood at roughly 8000 btu per pound as compared to 9700 btu for charcoal. So I would expect to need more cans o corn than cans o coals to get the same heat. Just thought you'd like to know.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman What willxfmr said. Spinaker LMAO!!

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - Not yet! But I'm trying.

Originally posted by BFlynn View Post
    I'm assuming I can post my SnS Kettle questions here - for you kettle masters.
    Well, I dunno, I'm not a mod, or anything. BUT, it wouldn't surprise me if a mod moved this thread to the area for "other" brands, https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...harcoal-grills. HTH
    Last edited by zinfella; January 5, 2021, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Got to agree with HouseHomey here. I have used your technique for reverse sear to get a really hot fire at the end. However, for your application, I think a full chimney is what you need. The birds can also go a little hotter if need be as they are more forgiving. Not to say your method wont work.....

Comment

What HouseHomey says.

Comment

Thanks! I cheated and put the birds in the air fryer.
          worked pretty well. But it's flank steak tomorrow!

​​

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Air Fryer!?!

Yikes. Please quit that. Air fryers are an abomination

Comment

• zinfella
            zinfella commented
            Editing a comment
            Right up there with light beer, eh?

If you think about it, a hot kettle fire moves a lot of air and at 325F or above is close to an air fryer with a touch of smoke.

vortex wings on a kettle at 500F are definitely air fryer territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockfarmer View Post
            Yikes. Please quit that. Air fryers are an abomination
            Why are they abominable? I ask because I just received one for Christmas. I view it as another tool in my cooking collection - oven, stove, slow cooker, bread maker, toaster oven, microwave, and Weber Kettle.
            Last edited by Terp Tom; January 8, 2021, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              I got one for Christmas too. So far just onion rings in there. Awesome. As you say, just another tool. Having said that, not a chicken tool in my shed.

I like ours.
            its my favorite indoor cooking method.

Does a good job on wings!
            Egg rolls are great.

Things that we would normally bake, come out :better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here