Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jumbo Joe Searing Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumbo Joe Searing Machine

I purchased a Weber Master Touch recently and immediately ordered a Smokenator for it. I've used the Smokenator about 3 times now and found that with proper note taking, it can be quickly mastered to achieve low and slow. I wanted to smoke some baby backs and then finish them off with a very high heat sear with just a touch of BBQ sauce on it. I didn't want to have to mess around with the Master Touch to make it a direct heat. I wanted a smaller grill for mostly direct heat so I bought the Weber Jumbo Joe. My Master Touch came with the two charcoal baskets. I found that these baskets fit almost perfectly in the Jumbo, (the grill almost rests on the tabs but mostly on the baskets). I knew that my ribs would soon be done based on the "crack" test, so I started some new briquettes in my chimney. I'm sort of lazy I guess because I use my Coleman camp stove with the chimney over one of the burners to light them. Anyway, with the charcoal baskets just under the grill on the Jumbo, I found that the heat is SUPER hot. It seared my ribs in less than a minute per side. Perhaps a little bit more work and a touch of waste of briquettes; however, if I need to do some larger cooking, this seems to be the ticket. Also, I spray a little bit of Pam inside my grills before I smoke or cook--it seems to help with the cleanup.

I use my little guy for steaks mostly, the grate is nice and close to the coals. I use a MAP torch to start my chimney, takes about 10 seconds of flame and that's it.

Comment

Every time that I go to home depot I have to restrain myself from picking up the Smokey Joe. I have had it in the cart at least 3 times. LOL

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        A smokey joe gold with grillgrates (and PLENTY coals below) can cook burgers for 10 in no time.

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah but honestly I do not need another grill. LOL

I have a Smokey Joe and have been eyeing the Jumbo for a while. If I could have done it over I would have gotten the Jumbo instead of the Smokey. Rick13175 - instead of going for a fast sear (it's a technique I've used countless times when I've smoked ribs a few days ahead of their consumption. Plenty of sauce and baste and sear on a gasser at the highest possible heat until a good glaze develops and the ribs are heated through. However, with the Smokenator you can apply sauce about an hour before the cook is complete and even at the low/slow temp you'll have a nice glaze when it comes out of the cooker.

Comment

• Rick13175
        Rick13175 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll give the BBQ sauce while still doing the low and slow in the smokenator a try. Thanks.

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        My pleasure. For my mother-in-law's birthday celebration in June I did 4 racks of baby backs and sauced them twice during the last hour of the cook in her kettle with the Smokenator. It worked well.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here