Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokey Joe - HUH - (Good God, y'all) What is it Good For?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokey Joe - HUH - (Good God, y'all) What is it Good For?

So, I bought a Smokey Joe (14"?) on a whim a couple of years ago and have pretty much never used it for cooking. (I think I once tried to sear a steak on it with mediocre results.) I actually cannibalized the charcoal grate for my tandoor, but it's cheap to replace. Does anybody here actually cook stuff in a Smokey Joe who can suggest some things it's good for cooking? It's the only Weber product I have ever owned.

Absolutely Nuthin!

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops, got carried away. I use it for picnics / campouts cause grills at the parks are nasty.

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, guys. Best laugh I've had all week.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Good God Ya’ll.

Burgers and dogs. I’ve done steaks on them, too. Don’t skimp on the charcoal just because the bowl is smaller.

Comment

• Boydog
      Boydog commented
      Editing a comment
      Burgers and anything that doesn't require a two-stage fire. Especially good when you're only cooking as many as 4 burgers and you don't want to waste the charcoal using a larger Weber.

Instead of burgers--sliders, instead of Hot Dogs--Vienna sausages, You got the idea

Comment

I don't have a Smokey Joe but a cheap 14 inch kettle I bought many moons ago after watching food channels on smoking food. My first attempt was a complete disaster and that was the only time I had used it.
      My daughter did use it when she moved out and it ended up in the garage when she moved back. The useless unnecessary drivle above has nothing to do with the fact that I now use it solely for smoking cheese and a stand when lighting my chimney.
      Thanks for indulging me.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        holehogg .....mind blown🤯🤯🤯: using it to hold the chimney! Who knew?

Burgers, pork burgers and other quick grilling jobs during the week. Takes less than a chimney of charcoal, which can nearly always be snuffed out and reused next time. Also good for camping, tailgating, etc. when you need something small and portable.

Comment

I used mine when we are camping/traveling. I made a "WSM" out of it using a tamale steamer (instructions can be found all over the internet) and carry that also. So when we travel I have a nice grill and a vertical smoker that take up very little room. Despite 3 other Weber's, 2 large Oklahoma Joe's, Pit Boss, and 36 inch Blackstone I still turn to my little Smokey Joe for a quick steak or burgers and dogs.

Comment

• JaySwen
          JaySwen commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been using mine for the same purpose for a few years. I've also made a number of them for gifts.

I was at a BBQ Competition a few years back and Harry Soo did chicken, ribs, pulled pork and brisket on Smokey Joes, just to show it could be done.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect reason!

I thought it was obvious? It is for checking the box off for that "I just saw a grill for less than $40 and I didn't pass it up." I'm surprised many of us don't have two or three of them.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I have five, actually lol! :P

(Technically six, countin th Jumbo Joe!)

Smokey Joe Gatherin

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          A lovely family portrait there!

Smokey Joe's Cafe

Hey, Joe

Smokey Joe - 3

What? More Smokey Joe???

Comment

I generally like a bigger stage, like my 22. But my little 14 has had some good performances.

Comment

2 things:

Burgers etc.

Shorter smoke of small thing (a fillet of salmon)

oh and one more - use it to reverse sear steaks when I do 1-2.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Can you do reasonable 2 zone cooking with the Smokey Joe?

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes... for shorter things. You only need ~6 briquettes and you can't do long cooks but for fish, etc that takes under 2 hours? Sure. The problem with longer cooks is that you can't put in too many coals or it gets too hot. You can do a narrow snake arc (1 briquette next to another, not 2).

It's why I like reverse searing when it's just me. it gets to temp quickly, you end up only using 6-8 coals. Now I sear inside on cast iron because to do the lower temp reverse sear, I've only got ~6 coals.

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              rickgregory - Good info. Thanks for that.

My Sj 18" is taking up that dreaded space under my small prep table that was good for nothing or bags of potting soil. I also use it to store the discarded parts of the Fire butler that I purchased with my 22" kettle.

Comment

Let's see here...
              • Paleo Italian meatballs
              • Chicken breast
              • Lamb chops
              • Wangs
              • Pork fajita kebabs
              • Couple of half-slabs of BBRs (tip of the hat to BabyBackManiac for the homemade diffuser plate mod)
              • Reverse sear ribeyes
              I think this covers a lot of bases if you're only cooking for two. I'm on my third WSJ in over 25 years.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                N227GB - Those "wangs" look great. How did you do them?

• N227GB
                N227GB commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, guys!

I just heat up some ghee and stir in Frank's Red Hot, then do a light coating on the wangs. I serve them with extra sauce on the side for dipping. For myself lately, I've been using Pain Is Good Habanero sauce for dipping. :0

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                Bravo!

I'd walk 25 Miles for some of that even though "my feet are hurtin' mighty bad".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here