Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber v. SnS Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber v. SnS Grill

Hi, so I have been shopping for a new grill and am reading most everything on this site. I love the idea of the SnS for a Weber. So I read about it, clicked through and see there is an actual SnS grill. I would love some feedback of pros and cons.

Con would be that you could probably buy a weber for $100 or less off Craigslist and use 3 bricks and have the same capability as the SNS grill. Or you could buy a new weber and a SNS for less. Pro would be more bells and whistles with the SNS grill.
    Last edited by Attjack; October 4, 2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Have you had a chance to read Max's review of the SnS Kettle? He does a pretty good job of outlining similarities and differences (I prefer that to pros & cons) between the two. https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...r-kettle-grill Plus Attjack makes solid points, except bricks don't quite give you the same capabilities really, it will work.

Comment

Thanks y’all! I am waiting a few extra days in case I get picked for the October sweepstakes 🙃🤪🥳
        Last edited by SheilaAnn; October 4, 2020, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• wu7y
          wu7y commented
          Editing a comment
          Good luck SheilaAnn. I joined three years ago and am still waiting to win the AR sweepstakes. In the interim I've bought two more grills. No regrets. I'm also waiting for the Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes lottery but I'm not holding my breath. I have the SnS for my regular Weber kettle and have no regrets there either. You will like it.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          It actually CAN Happen, Yall

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          I also want to win the Sns Grill!

For the money I would look at the Weber 22” master touch. A lot of new features and a great price. I have a 26” kettle a vortex and SnS to go with it. But I just bought a 22” master touch and used the baskets that came wit it and they worked really good keeping temps around 250 but I can see for an extended cook you’ll need to reload charcoal.

Comment

You might want to take a look at this from Baby Back Maniac. Good luck!

Comment

After Max’s review & Baby Back Maniac’s review, it’s the SnS Kettle hands down. This was discussed just a short while ago. All of the mods & improvements are done on the SnS. Much of it was hatched here on the Pit. Dave is also a founding fore flusher & Huskee had two cents worth, at least with the SnS. Do yer due diligence, you will find out. I place a lot of trust in Max BTW.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I like to think I had 3 or 4 cents. The SnS device was, after all, an idea I hatched and made a drawing of and made a thick working foil prototype of, and used and it worked (!) and Dave had the skills and business savvy to see to fruition as a real device.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't know you invented the SNS.

I would go with the Weber 26.75" and a SnS.

Comment

I agree with FireMan I’ve read many reviews of the SNS. Big selling points for the SNS over Weber, and I’ve got a Weber Master Touch, is 1. A temperature probe port and a 1” smoke hole on the bottom...for venting or a fan. 2. SNS lid vent and thermometer are on the same side, in the front. SNS thermometer is also fairly close to grill for more accurate grate temps. The Weber thermometer is in the back over the coals. Really useless for most people. 3. The SNS easy spin grate also has a hinged lid which opens up for full access to the slow n sear, you can add coals and water without having to remove the cooking grate. In fact, I’m gonna buy me an SNS Kettle and take my Weber to Mom’s house and use it there. I’ve already got the cheap $99. basic Weber Kettle there, so this move would be an upgrade at Mom’s for me. And like the others say, read Max’s review and a few others.
              PS. My master touch didn’t have a shelf, the SNS does have a fold down shelf which I like. There are some Weber models with a shelf or prep area, on the Performer Series line and up.
              Last edited by Panhead John; October 5, 2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

The only negative I see in the comparison of the Weber versus the SNS Kettle is that the ash sweeps on the SNS kettle are not as long, so you may still need to push some of the ashes down into the bottom of the kettle. That said - I have to do that anyway with my Performer, every few cooks, as there are 3 locations that the Weber ash sweeps don't reach.

The pro's of the SNS Kettle vastly outweigh the only con I’ve seen mentioned (shorter ash sweeps). The fact that it has a stainless steel grate, a porcelein coated charcoal grate, and the side table make it a much better value. I used to replace my grates about every 2 years until I bought the stainless cooking grate from SnSGrills. That said, I love my Weber Performer Deluxe, and have no plans to get rid of it any time soon.
                Last edited by jfmorris; October 5, 2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• wrgilb
                  wrgilb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I saw some of your family photos on the SnS site, you have a great looking family. Still praying for Yvonne and you.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  wrgilb Thanks so much - we appreciate your prayers. Are we talking Facebook, or the actual snsgrills.com website? Not sure I've ever posted family photos to either...

• wrgilb
                  wrgilb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The SnS group on Facebook

I have not seen the SNS Kettle. I have looked at and read the reviews. Great company and they provide top notch customer service and stand behind their products 100%. Because of these reasons I would give SNS my vote.

Comment

I have been using my SNS Kettle pretty heavily for a couple months. I probably have 25 cooks on it and have done everything from burgers and dogs to briskets and pork butts.

All the added features on it (probe port, better grate, better thermometer and vent placement, etc.) are excellent and well thought out. They are most everything Weber Kettle users wish the kettle had.

I have quite a few thoughts and still need to play around a bit more but to make it simple: For low and slow cooking I think the SNS Kettle is better than the Weber. It seems to hold temperatures a bit steadier and the addition of the fan port is an excellent addition.

For hot and fast cooking I think the Weber is a bit better. It seems like there is a bit more air flow and the coals get a bit hotter. Again, I still need to do some more playing with that and see if it is just coincidental or if there is actually something going on there. But the times I have tried vortex wings (a vortex in an SNS Kettle???) or even direct grilling something like a flank it seems like it just isn't quite as hot as the Weber. Still plenty hot to cook everything but just not quite as hot as the Weber.

My general advice would be if you already have a Weber there isn't a huge need to rush out and buy one other than the fact that more grills is never a bad thing. If you don't already have one the SNS Kettle and the added features on it make it better than a comparable Performer. You won't go wrong with the SNS Kettle.

Comment

Huskee does AR get credit when I purchase through the SnS site?

Comment

There was a pretty significant discussion of the SnS Kettle vs. the Weber on this thread

I just bought a Weber 22 Premium, SnS Deluxe insert, griddle insert for my daughter about 2 months before the SnS Kettle came out. I ended up drilling all the holes for the thermometers and fan and putting in grommets and such. I would have bought the SnS Kettle for Karyn if it had been available. Prices are pretty comparable between these two choices.

Comment

Out with the old...
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	369FF4E5-40E0-45F1-A4E3-A3198D53822D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	30.7 KB ID:	943311
                      in with the new!
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	87270F1E-BBB8-44F9-A8A7-388F701E7FD9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	32.7 KB ID:	943312Click image for larger version  Name:	29EDBD63-47D4-48B6-99D5-BF0DEFA38FF3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	36.0 KB ID:	943313

that char griller was $99 about 15 years ago and has served me very well! I think I’m going to clean up, nice coat or two of spray paint and use it for charcoal/wood storage.

Comment

• Panhead John
                        Panhead John commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I do the same. I’ll PM you tonight and show you how to straighten the pics out. You have to do that before uploading them to AR.

• Attjack
                        Attjack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I like the blue.

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Making any edit to the pics before you upload should fix this. Whether a small crop or add saturation, anything, should put new orientation info to the pic file and make it appear correctly.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here