Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grillin' with wood.? Kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grillin' with wood.? Kettle?

After watching the Netflix BBQ series I've been inspired to grill with real wood. I like the idea of the Gabby Grill (Santa Maria), but seems like a high price for something I'll use once in awhile and I would need to find a place for it when not in use. This leads to my question. What does everyone else do with the kettle when doing wood fired? It seems the grill grate is too close to the wood\coals to do real wood grilling, so I'm thinking of ways to raise the grate, but I haven't come up with a great, "grate" idea yet.

Thoughts? Also, just wondering if it's all worth it. Anyone wood fire grill with the kettle and find it about the same as using charcoal\lump and not worth the extra trouble?

How high do you think you need to raise the grill? Some 2 X 4s stood on edge will get you about 4" and should be safe if you keep the fire in the center and the 2 X 4s on the outer edge.

Comment

I'm going to be brave and say 'don't'. To use wood, you need easy access to the firebox - adding, moving, stoking... the kettle design doesn't allow that management access to make it all worthwhile.

I use wood chunks with every kettle cook I do, and that's at least one a week. And sometimes I use pretty big chunks, and add consistently. Kettles are great for offset smoking.

Cooking over a wood fire is a different style cook than what a kettle is good at, and really is best 'served; with a cooker designed for it. There's even easy access at a low cost to see if you love it enough to do it consistently - a grate over a firepit or a tripod over a fire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuckie Cook.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	911315

Comment

• Mark-B
        Mark-B commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I do the same with my SNS. The Gabby grill does seem to address the problem of access but it’s pricy and don’t know if I’d use it a lot. Then, where do I store that big contraption?

pellets for pellet grills are real wood, or am I wrong?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B4802811-8555-4013-ACD8-FB59E9F25E53.png
Views:	293
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	911331Click image for larger version

Name:	21B8EAB2-F1DA-435B-87F5-83EC9757399C.png
Views:	294
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	911332

I use something like this over my fire pit. Mine is a bit different. It’s round. I got mine for around $50. The cooking grate can be moved up or down the pole and it can also be rotated off of the fire if needed.

Comment

• Mark-B
          Mark-B commented
          Editing a comment
          I might try to rig up something like this on the kettle. By the way, do your steaks\food turn out much better using this or about the same as charcoal?
          Last edited by Mark-B; September 15, 2020, 06:50 AM.

• ssandy_561
          ssandy_561 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t recall doing a steak on it. We are usually grilling hot dogs, burgers and sausages on it.

Also there are a lot of Adult beverages being consumed around the campfire usually when it’s being used so it all tastes Awesome no matter how badly it’s cooked. 😆

• Mark-B
          Mark-B commented
          Editing a comment
          Fair enough! I think I'm going to do something like this over my portable fire pit or Weber Jumbo Joe.

Here is an earlier thread about a Santa Maria style setup for the kettle. Also, another version of it here. The only fire version looks pretty good and has a rotisserie.

Comment

• Mark-B
          Mark-B commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool, I'm also considering this https://breeo.co/products/breeo-outpost-19, as I can buy the firepit later and just use my Jumbo Joe or portable fire pit. They look well made.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I forgot about that first one - that's a good looking attachment.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here