Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber 26" bare metal spots inside bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber 26" bare metal spots inside bowl

I had mentioned on another thread that the front leg of my 26" kettle is a bit too long (or the leg mount is at the wrong angle) and the whole thing leans back a little. Well, I decided to do a thorough cleaning today just because it was time. When I got down to power washing and scrubbing the inside of the bowl, I noticed some small shiny spots of bare metal where the leg mounts are welded onto the outside. Upon further inspection, there were others that were just starting to rust. It almost appears the porcelain coating has worn off, because I didn't notice this when I put it together about 10 months ago. But the only thing touching it there is the sweeper blades, so nothing out of the ordinary. The warranty information says chipped or missing porcelain might require replacing the bowl, so I submitted a claim just now. It's not a huge deal yet, but I'm not waiting around until it becomes one and is too late to do anything about it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200913_193203[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	910814
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200913_193153[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	910815
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200913_193250[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	910816
    Last edited by Steve R.; September 13, 2020, 06:58 PM.

Yeah, that ain't right. Looks like it got banged around somewhere along the line. One of mine has spots like that, but that's because it's 25 years old and fell out of a truck.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      The bare spots are slightly raised above the rest of the surface. I suspect the porcelain may have been cracked on top of those bumps and the sweeper blades took it off.

I wouldn't worry - I know people that have gotten free warranty parts at the 9.5 year mark, on the 10 year warranty. From that perspective, Weber is an icon.'

Do let me know if I'm wrong..

Comment

Check the tack welds on the leg sockets. The ones on my 26 cracked and my grill was really unstable. I sent them some pictures and they sent me an entire new lower bowl.

Comment

Not completely unexpected, but here is the response I got today:

Christine W (Weber Grills)

Sep 14, 2020, 12:10 CDT

Hello Steve,

Thank you for contacting Weber regarding your Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with chips in your grill's bowl. The Weber warranty only covers manufacturing defects and rust/burn through. We would not be able to provide you with warranty replacement bowl until if at some point the rust goes through the bowl.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a great day and thank you for being a member of the Weber family!

Christine W
        Weber Consumer Care Team
        Weber-Stephen Products LLC

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like I may have got lucky to get my bowl replaced recently. Of course, my handle did come off where it had rusted. Now I need to decide if I switch out the bowl now or repair the handle and store the bowl (or use one of them for something else). Or maybe I'll get really lucky and score a 26.75" lid somehow.

I might be wrong, won’t be the first time, but yer response sounds like in plain English , they won’t cover the dad gum thing unless it totally goes in the crapper.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          To be fair, they told me my claim on the rusted rivet of the top damper on my 26 wasn't valid because the guarantee is on the bowl itself, not the damper. But they sent me a new damper anyway. Of course, the cost difference of a new bowl and new damper is probably pretty extreme.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, that's pretty much what it says. But like I said, it's not a huge deal right now. And maybe it will never be, but it was worth checking into it. I'll probably just dab a little high temp enamel on those spots and see what happens.

I wouldn't worry about that. I've had a couple nickle sized chipped/bare spots in the dome of my kettle for more than a decade and they really haven't rusted any more and the metal is no thinner than it was when it first happened.

If it is concerning to you I'd just get a can of high heat engine paint and spray it over the little bare areas to prevent/limit the development of rust.

Comment

I’m just amazed at how clean your sweep arms are!! Are those new?

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            No, this was right after I pressure washed and scrubbed them with an SOS pad.

That's a bummer - the reply from Weber - but the touchup is simple work.

I bought both new and used. It's hard not to restore the used with new parts and pieces, but that's just my OCD. You can't tell a cook from used or new, no more than a fish can tell what rod you're using.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            The good news is the area in question doesn't get really hot, so anything to seal up the bare metal should help. I'm a little disappointed in the workmanship, but not really worried.

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            My local CL has an original made in USA red kettle for sale, but they want $ 300 for it. Up until I just saw the Santa Maria kettle conversion attachments I couldn't justify a third kettle, maybe now I can. LoL MCS For Ever!

Dadof3Illinois, it's funny you mention that about the tack welds. I took a really quick peek when you posted that and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but I had bare metal on my mind, so I overlooked it. The tilt was still bothering me, and then I saw this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200925_152108[1].jpg
Views:	251
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	916162

I think I have found the cause of the leaning. We'll see what CS has to say about this.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            And I had a similar outcome with this claim. Within about 10 minutes of submitting the claim (along with this pic), I got an email telling me a new bowl is on the way. That works for me.

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s great!!! Glad you looked

Does there seem to be something... off about my grill? This is just a few months after installing the replacement bowl from the manufacturer. I used it last weekend and it seemed fine. Walked out into the garage this afternoon and found it like this, and nobody has been in there to mess with it. I'm just about over this particular grill, but it might be time to build that table I have always thought I would build for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210401_182533.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1011840

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Build the table. Weber sucks in below the bowl engineering.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I know its crooked, but can't tell why from these photos. You sure your significant other didn't crash into it with the car, and not tell you?

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris yeah, it was in an area of the garage well away from her car. And it's the same cause as before,, but took awhile to get to this point

You need to straighten out your driveway. 😂😂

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here