Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Smokey Joe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Smokey Joe

I have been searching for a WSJ for about a month, checking Craig"s list and sales, no luck, finally SWMBO said how much are they when I told her she said just buy a new one. Well there aren't any in any of the stores around here unless you order one and pay for shipping. She then said we have a neighborhood web site where people buy and sell stuff so she asked if anybody had WSJ that wanted to sell or give away. Got a text from a guy saying he had one in his garage and wanted to get rid of it because he never used it, he also delivered it. Got 2 boxes of starter cubes, 2 extra new charcoal grates, a new cooking grate and cedar planks in a package all for FREE Checked serial # it's a 2008
    Attached Files

He shoots! He scores!! Very nice. You owe the wifey big time.

Comment

Great score.

Comment

Nice pickup.

Comment

Wail, now...
          Couldn't really ask fer a much better deal than that, now could ya?

Th lil ol, oft-overlooked SJS is a Mighty, Mighty Cooker, in th right hands, Brother!

(I currently have 3 BLK SJS, 1 SJG, 1 Green SJS...

3 of mine was from CL, included a partial bagga briqs / lump, lighter fluid, etc., fer like $10-15...
          1 was a gift, so Free, obviously...
          1 (Kermit) I bought offa ePay...

Interested in some SJS cooks? I've posted multiple, lmk...
          Also, recent arrival patcrail has put up some Killer Diller ones, as well!

In true MCS Fashion, I also has a Jumbo Joe...

Here's wishin ya many, many great an happy cooks on yers; once ya grasp what can be done with so lil charcoals, in such a short timeframe, I think ya'll really appreciate it fully, an utilize it far more often that ya'd'a ever thunk lol
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 7, 2020, 04:47 PM. Reason: KvskDvsd. :-)

Comment

• Brewmaster
            Brewmaster commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr.Bones, will be checking out some of those cooks as I am new to something this small

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I was too, Brewmaster, which is zackly why I posted them cooks...

What I've learned is that th lil SJS's are a VERY capable Giant Killer, startin with a almost indiscernable comparative few % initial cash investment, C. $15 used, often even Free, with partial bag coals or lump, lighter fluid, an a jack leg wally world rusted arse chimley included

(Leastwise, most th ones I've ever gotten ...I've given away several times more SJS than th wee five I currently have, hereabouts)

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones , I thank ya for the compliment. As to the Smokey Joe, Brewmaster, I gotta say, I absolutely love my SJ, managed to do some awesome 6-8 hr cooks on it, love doing chuck roasts on it! I just recently started bbqing again, & learned I’ve been doing it all wrong. But I’m so damned grateful I started again on the SJ, learned fire & temp mgmt with no gadgets, & awesome cooks... have a 22” & SNS, but some cooks I love doing on the SJ, & saving charcoal too!

I like my SJ. Used it last night for a reverse sear NY steak. Nice score!

Comment

I've made 5 or 6 mini smokers over the past year with a SJ and tamale pot. I use one just for cold smoking cheese. There are no modifications made to the SJ so it continues to work as intended when the tamale pot is removed.

Here's a link to a post for the first 2 I made for wedding presents last summer. https://tvwbb.com/threads/multiple-m...1/#post-866847

Jay

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Purty Please, with Sugar on Top?????

• KenC52
              KenC52 commented
              Editing a comment
              Found mine at Fiesta in Houston. Have been told you can find them at Walmart.

• JaySwen
              JaySwen commented
              Editing a comment
              I've had them delivered from Walmart, found them in my local carniceria and also Amazon. The Imusa 32q pot fits nearly perfectly, no modifications needed. However, they do vary a bit and sometimes the SJ lid doesn't snug down over the pot. I've never found this to be a problem. If you're going to paint the pot, I've used Engine Enamel paint from VHT. The paint cures at 200F and I've baked them in the oven before use. Just don't use the pot with the red grips if you bake the paint on!!!

Congrats! On both the SJ and the "SWMBO"!

Comment

NICE !!!!!

Comment

The Smokey Joe is a powerful Mighty Mite! Keep the cooking grate well greased, it tends to corrode.

Comment

• Brewmaster
                  Brewmaster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mosca, thanks for the advice, the grate is new and will try to keep it that way

Sweet!

Comment

Great find!

Comment

Great Deal! He didn't mention that he had a 26" to get rid of? Lol.

Comment

Great pick up!

I catch a lot of stuff on our Nextdoor website. I'm TRYING not to add any more cookers..... but if a Smokey Joe or Weber kettle come up, I may have to. I didn't get the last 22" kettle posted ($50) and it haunts me.

DAMNIT! Just looked and there is a Joe for $10 in pretty good shape, but it's 20 miles away.
                      I'll spend more in gas for the old dodge than I will on that grill.......

Maybe if the wife takes a nap though.... she totally won't notice another grill.

There is also a 18" WSM for $60 that is just missing the grates...... why is my life so tough?

For real, if anyone in Houston is looking for a WSM - this one is in Scarsdale.
                      Last edited by BFlynn; August 7, 2020, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That 18.5" WSM is A Deal!!!

• BFlynn
                        BFlynn commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It IS a deal. And I'm so tempted.......

But I just ran 1 smoker unsuccessfully this evening......

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here