Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Weber Master-Touch Premium - new features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Weber Master-Touch Premium - new features

Saw this for the first time tonight in my FB feed:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/c...cgid=4#start=1

Hinged lid, charcoal ring, diffuser plate?

Personally, I have little interest in this as it's nothing I don't have already with the WSCG, but thought some others might find it worthwhile. I always wanted a hinge on my kettle and performer when I had them. I wonder how long you can smoke without refilling though. Would definitely get you capacity back versus the SnS.
    Last edited by glitchy; August 6, 2020, 09:20 AM.

I don’t think I’d ever want a hinged lid. I like to move my top vent to where I want it.

Comment

• willsands
      willsands commented
      Editing a comment
      And you may become un-hinged trying to add a rotisserie ring.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      yes sir.

• cgrover60
      cgrover60 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep yep.

I wonder if the diffuser and charcoal ring will be sold separately?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I have read on twitter or Facebook. They will not be sold separately right now. I would love that for my 26

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been toying with the idea of using the coal ring in the 22wsm, and putting it in my 26, and find a stainless steel lid, or something that would be big enough to cover the ring.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Makes perfect sense.

Love my hinged lid, locks up and one can always drill holes for more vent locations.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Who’s gonna steal your meat?

Interesting changes. Wonder what else they are getting ready to do.

Comment

Looks like a new wheel design too, no more floppy hubcap.

Seeing something like this from a market leader in their segment always prods the ol' marketing guy in me. I'd like to have been a fly on the wall to hear the proposals and rationalizations for making these changes. Is the tail wagging the dog? As individual consumers we tend to see any marketplace through our own eyes/values and have a fairly narrow focus for the most part. A large marketer might use those focused concepts as the germ of an idea but needs to expand the vision to the larger market to justify all the segments of expense involved in engineering, development, tooling, marketing/promoting, etc. etc. Those are neat ideas to those who value them, but a we see here not everyone is impressed. Did they do focus groups of some kind and learn that aftermarket hinge sales were off the charts? It doesn't appear so, but something motivated them. It looks like the ring and diffuser are a set, so what's the intended use from their perspective? Why the size they chose and so on? How will they "teach" customers to value those features to justify the additional cost. All that........and I haven't even had my second cup of morning coffee............

Comment

I like the idea of the full real estate with the diffuser v the SnS but that’s about it. Can it hold temp? Temp harder to control as the coal is directly above the vents?

how does the stainless diffuser/radiant heat affect the overall cook. Cook faster?

will the ambient grill temp be one Temp at one location and a real different temp at another location based on the way their steel diffuser absorbs, diffuses and expends the energy.

I have no clue. Only Questions and concerns

Perhaps they are responding to the "shot across the bow" from Mr. Parish And his absolutely game changing work and the SnS brand.

Just thoughts.
        Last edited by HouseHomey; August 6, 2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          It's very similar to the WSCG in operation, so should work OK.

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          The only thing different in principal vs the SNS is that you finally get to use your full grate area. As others have mentioned this is no different than the WSCG.

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          Weber MT redesigns in response to the Sns kettle was the first thing that came to my mind when reading about this.

I think these have been available in Europe or at least England for a while now. Sort of a downgraded, down-sized single wall WSCG.
        Last edited by CaptainMike; August 6, 2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey yes, the diffuser is steel and hinged like the grate for adding briquettes or wood chunks. It is double-walled though.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly what it looks like to me.

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          This look like WSCG "Light". Would like to see it in a performer model. Could use it at camp. WSCG is an aluminum diffuser.

HouseHomey WSCG diffuser:
        Attached Files

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          What he said

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm, mine doesn’t look anything like that...
          Ok, once upon a time, it DID. ;-)

Looks like the hinge disconnects with a thumbscrew, so I think you ought to be able to use this with a rotisserie ring and such.

I don't like that the lid is mounted at a weird angle in relation to the "front" of the grill, assuming the handle on the base is the front. It appears to be positioned to be over the back left leg, for support when the lid is open, and to avoid tipping over.

I like the idea of the diffuser. I supposed with that and a minion setup, you could smoke for a good long time.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          And to go with the thumbscrew there's an insulated grip on the hinge "flap" next to it as well as notches over the pivot pin.......good observation you have.

As for the opening angle, Napoleon does that too with the explanation that it keeps your arm away from being directly over the center of the heart zone when opening or closing. Okay............

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Uncle Bob the Napoleon kettle puts the lid and lid hinge on a rotating ring - it can be spun to any place on the grill that you want. It is not in a fixed position.

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          Assembly vid shows that ring is bolted to the lower kettle making it stationary. Are you saying that not bolting it is an option?

Still waiting on the fan and probe ports...
        Last edited by Rod; August 6, 2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I wonder if they will make this for the 26"? If so, it will definitely be my next kettle.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Right now the Weber site shows the 26" kettles as unavailable - I guess they are all sold out, or else they are fixing to introduce some changes?

Wow. You guys. Man!

I admittedly am not a window shopper until close to or about the time I have skin in the game.

Example...$1,500 +\- ready to go on a Gasser when the right product and price moves me.

I am a kettle guy to the bone but am not versed on the WSMG or the others besides the 22 and 26.

taking it from the top 👆

Wow, you guys... you all are way too smart for me with these builds and nuanced parts. That is seriously impressive. Well I’m impressed anyway.

I stick with my original thoughts as that’s how they popped in my head.

You gotta love this place.

Inserting a "bow" here as actuality knowing things has taken over.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            You seem like a TEC infrared type of guy for a gasser ;-) All the fancy stuff you do would do great under precise control with no flare ups...and you already have the Primo for the other stuff.

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            ...and buy one soon and share lots of pics, I’m on a short leash and cannot test myself right now.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I can drop some "Fake News" if you want, but that's way more fun to do on Facekook.

I also really like my WSCG. However, if I wasn't ready to invest that much $ in a grill this would be a good 2nd choice.

Comment

Last edited by Old Glory; August 7, 2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here