Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

searing on a weber smokey joe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

searing on a weber smokey joe

Hi folks - picked up a smokey joe for a cook tomorrow nite at a friends. Steaks for 9. I'm going to use his gasser and do an indirect cook and am hoping to use the smokey joe for the reverse sear.

My question is "what do you set the air vents to if you have to hold the coals for a while after lighting them in the chimney?

I have found in the past that Meathead's after burner technique can burn up the coal faster than I'm ready.

Today I threw 65 coals in the smokey joe after lighting and put the lid on. The lower air vent was at 1/2. The upper vent was at 1/4. I checked in 10 minutes and the fire was very weak. I put a hair blower on them and they were barely hot enough.

Then I took the lid off and banked the coals and voila, I had a beautiful sear station.

My conclusion is that smokey joe burns slower than a chimney as well as the SNS on my 22". I think it will burn slow enough for my needs with the air vet on bottom at wide open and the lid off on top. I'd like to have a window of 1/2 an hour to be able to sear without doing another chimney full.

Thanks

IME, holdin coals at sear temp in a Smokey Joe is gonna deplete yer coals dang dang quick, like...

Vent setting fer a sear on a SJS? 1/2-WFO works well fer me here, dependin on my coals...

Even though I ain't cookin on any gas grill, I want a lil wood taste to even simple quick burgers, steaks, chops, yardbirds, dogs, brats, etc., usw, ad infinitum, ao...

I always use my lid, often set 1/2-3/4-WFO, dependin on my coals...

I always use Kingsford, or RO hickory, apple, or mesquite charcoal, or a mix thereof...not regular KBB...time to time, they's other chunks added into th coals, dependin upon jus where I'm headin, with jus what I'm tryin to create, flavour-wise...

Comment

How many steaks are you going to cook?

Comment

Mr. Bones Thankyou. What does WFO mean? zzdocxx Im cooking 5 very thick New Yorks.

Comment

Mr. Bones - Now Im thinking you mean Wide open? Cant figure the ‘F’ 😀.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, yup, wide open

Most of the flavour you get when reverse searing comes during the low and slow phase and not the sear phase. If it were me, I'd either reverse your planned process or just leave the gasser out completely. When I reverse sear on my Napoleon kettle, I light my chimney for searing when I get within 25 to 30 degrees of the desired IT. Most gassers will get really hot, really fast so if I were using charcoal and gas, I'd definitely low and slow on the charcoal and sear on the gasser.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is what I do. I start low and slow, 225*, on my pellet smoker and then sear on my Charbroil Grill2Go mini gasser which is a searing machine. (See review on the free side) Works like a charm.

pkadare normally I would do it all on my 22 inch kettle with SNS. Just not up for loading big kettle in car for drive to friends house. I dont want to experiment on low and slow on new SJ (especially since require multiple cooks). I cant see a way around low and slow on gasser. I have other options but my favorite sear is charcoal and none of my friends have that option.

im just trying to stop the darn charcoal from burning up so fast. Im hoping the SJ is a better sear solution than a chimney. If not, I get a MCS fix out of it!

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Start the SJ and reload the chimney and light. Backup ready to go charcoal if needed.

• Burntfood
            Burntfood commented
            Editing a comment
            HawkerXP - thats exactly what I ended up doing. 3 of the guests phoned and said they would be 20 minutes late after I put the coals in the Smokey Joe. Lit another kettle for backup and sure enough had to use it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1731.JPEG
Views:	137
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	893204

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here