Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I feel guilty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope

Comment

My gut tells me it feels wrong and this isn't something I would do. But I also think a reasonable person could conclude that it's actually okay. A good chunk of the value of Weber grills is that warranty, and the manufacturer potentially owes replacement parts to the rightful owner (I ass-u-me the warranty transfers to you, but I don't know that).

I'm not sure I could explain how this is different than acquiring a used car that is still under warranty and then taking it to the dealership to have warranty repairs done. If the use of the grill in a salt water environment voids the warranty, and I doubt that it does, that would be a different story.
      Last edited by Steve R.; August 2, 2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I couldn't do it...
        But then perhaps that's one of the reasons I almost never purchase anything used...I want the warranty that comes along with it, that I've paid for.
        But yes, this is a bit of a grey area...and so long as not too many people do it, the generous Weber warranty will remain so.

Comment

It's just not me. I can't judge what you did other than to say, I would not have...

Comment

Doesn't seem right to me.

Comment

Personally, what you do is your business. But, you can always make a planter out of that old Weber. I did with my old one that rusted out. It’s still useful after years of faithful service

Comment

Look, the guy got a rusted out, dilapidated kettle for the sole reason of scamming the manufacturer out of a new one. He suffered no loss, he got it for free. Then he turns around and says "hey Weber, look at this POS, send me a new one" and they do.

Come on, who hasn't seen an old beat up kettle set out by the side of the road on garbage day? Gee, maybe we should all scoop them up and file warranty claims. It's simply wrong and that's really all there is to it.

Comment

According to Weber's warranty...

WEBER’S VOLUNTARY WARRANTY
                  WEBER warrants, to the purchaser of the WEBER product (or in the case of a gift or promotional situation, the person for whom it was purchased as a gift or promotional item),

If someone is giving away something for free I would say that technically it is considered a gift.

Had the original owner desired to keep the kettle and refurbish it Weber would likely have sent out some free warranty parts. Since the original owner decided not to bother with it and gave it away (a gift) Weber is out nothing that they wouldn't have otherwise sent.

If Weber were concerned about being taken advantage of they could have required the person making the claim to have sent them a copy of the original receipt since it was not registered (as spelled out in the warranty).

Comment

Nah. no biggie, when you purchase the grill you purchase the warranty its part of their overhead, they expect it to cost money so they are fine. If I bought a weber and didnt registet it and i wanted to sell it I would inform the purchaser that they they can register for the warranty and I would have no qualms

Comment

I’m thinkin’ this horse is pretty much dead. Mr. law enforcement (corrections) seems to have bailed from the Pit. Sayonara...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here