Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I feel guilty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I feel guilty?

I got a free Weber 22 inch Kettle on Facebook that was trashed. Legs fell off big rust holes basically trash. I got it for free and filed a warranty claim ( they didn't register it or file a claim). My wife thinks what I did was not right, I said if they didn't file it then it was going to go to waste any way. What say yall?

I believe the warranty is only for ten years. If the Pit is over ten years old it is out of warranty even if it was never filed. So, does it seem unfair to you to get a brand new Weber that was really out of warranty?

Comment

If Weber sends you knew legs, that's good on them.

I'm just jealous you found a free Weber Kettle
      ​​​​​

Comment

• 82shovelhead
        82shovelhead commented
        Editing a comment
        They sent me new legs, a new bottom bowl and new handles. I paid for the ash sweeper and wheels and shelf and grates.

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure what you paid for these parts but for just a little more you can buy a new one. Lowes has the original Weber 22” for $109.

If it's not out of warranty, no. I see this a ton in the guitar business and I always advise customers to check and register the instrument if it has not already been done. You would be surprised how often it hasn't been registered. If it was registered, or is out of warranty, then the manufacturer is going to catch it. Doesn't hurt to try

Comment

It wasn't out of warranty. It was only 6 years old. It was just used in a salt water environment like the beach.

Comment

It's questionable from an ethics standpoint because it wasn't you that bought it and then suffered the loss. From a legalistic point of view? Got me.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            My brother had a history of doing this sort of thing. His prized story is of buying a name brand large microwave at a dept store. It was a heavily marked down floor model. The retail price was expensive. It had obvious damage which nobody was hiding. He talked the store down further to something like $10, took it home and immediately filed a warranty claim with the manufacturer. They sent him a brand new one. It has always bothered me at a gut level, but I don't think there's anything illegal.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like my brother, a complete and utter shyster some of the crap he pulls off is....well it’s fraud, no other word for it

I'm not going to say a word.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, you already said seven words & one pic.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I was trying to not bring up the warranty new blue bowl and lid that I forgot about in my basement. FireMan

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s an additional 21 words. 🙃

Yup.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            One word & a punctuation mark, but who’s counting. 🕶

In my eyes it's wrong. Taking someone else's trash in order to scam a manufacturer just doesn't sit right with me. Want a Weber kettle? Go buy one but don't scam the manufacturer into sending you a free one.

Comment

I think that there is enough wiggle room in the world for you to feel a bit guilty, but also enjoy a bargain Weber 22.

Comment

People took advantage of LL Bean's generous warranty. They would buy used items at yard sales for a few bucks then immediately return them for brand new items. Eventually they could not keep the warranty the same and now it's just like every other retailer. Moral of the story is if we take too much advantage of a good thing it might not be available anymore.

Comment

I wouldn't do that.

Comment

We’re all grown here, so you’re more than free to do whatever manufactures let you get away with.

That being said, personally, I’m a firm believer that nothing in life is free and shenanigans like this do nothing but increase prices for everyone on down the line. Along with endangering good warranties in the future if they are abused enough.

Comment

I remember once being told, if you have to ask if it is or is not, it likely is the result you do not want it to be. If you are able to look in the mirror. That is your call.
                    Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 1, 2020, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hmmmmm. 🤔

• Richard Chrz
                      Richard Chrz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      FireMan, ugh.. I have no idea how that happens.

I was taught that one of the bedrock standards of ethics is avoid doing things that give the appearance of impropriety.

YMMV
                    Last edited by Bkhuna; August 1, 2020, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here