Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep my weber grates from getting rusty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep my weber grates from getting rusty

Hi, this is my first AR post! NOOBIE!

I'm a long time weber kettle user and I wonder if people have tips or tricks to keep the grates from getting rusty? I don't grill all that often and it seems like no matter what I do, how hard I work at keeping them clean, they rust up within a season. And once they start to rust then they'll just keep rusting no matter how often I clean that rust off. Super pain in the tuchus.

anyway, thanks for the knowledge!

Maybe Stainless would work for you. Welcome to the pit.

Comment

Yeah, I think we’re doomed on that. I’m looking at this pricy option. Open to others.

22 Inch 201 Stainless Steel Hinged Grilling/Cooking Replacement 22” grill grate - For use in 22" Weber Charcoal Grills - Kettle Charcoal BBQ Grilling Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1K25JT..._JrWhFb2H2RZ8G

Welcome from south Texas by the way!

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        If you spin your grate using the revers sear technique from snsgrills.com, I suggest getting ss grate from them. It's made to make spinnin' the grate easier.

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 also on the Easy Spin grate per RonB. Just a hair pricier, temporarily out of stock.

Welcome from TN. I don't have a problem with my Weber grates. Do you cover the grill when not in use? Are the grates stored in the grill? I am in TN, and the humidity here is so thick you can almost see it.

Comment

When my grill grates get worn out, I will replace with stainless steel. More expensive, but they should last for years vs purchasing new one every few years.....heck of a lot easier to clean too. Welcome t the pit.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Minnesota. I vote SS as well.

Comment

Welcome from Appleton, WI

Comment

Using more often helps. But I did go with stainless when it was time to replace.

Comment

Troutman mention a brand that made grates for lots of different grills. I don't remember the name. Thicker SS I was thinking of going that way with the next replacement.

Comment

Correction; stainless grates from killagrilla.com are a great upgrade. Thick 3/8” rods, last forever.

Comment

I didn't have to replace my kettle grates every year - more like every several years, but yeah - the nickel plated steel grates on that, or the warming rack on my old Genesis, also made of the same stuff, rust in a few years unless you clean them meticulously after each cook.

When it was time to get a new grate, rather than tossing $25 out for another one at Home Depot, I went to snsgrills.com, where their stainless EasySpin grate is currently going for $59. I know it seems a lot, but it's a good grate, and is about $20 less than the KillaGrilla grate.

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have both and still prefer the thicker bars. They are easier to clean and hold heat better. Nothing against the spinning grates, they are workhorses as well.

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Troutman I know the wire grate on both my kettle and my Genesis warming rack are stainless, but they tend to stay mostly black for me... which as clean as the grill brushes can get them. Once or twice a year I’ll get crazy with scotch brite and Brillo pads, and get them shined again.

I tried to convince my wife it's like running out of printer ink, time to buy a new grill. Hasn't quite worked yet, but I'm still hopeful.

Comment

Up until I got the WSCG with the SS grate earlier this year I exclusively used my kettle (No SnS, just banked coals) with a steel grate for over 12 years and going. I cleaned it while hot before and after every cook and I cooked on it at least once a week year round, way more during summer, and I never experienced rust until the WSCG came around. Now that my kettle barely gets used I see where you’re coming from. But now I feel like everything sticks to my SS grate vs my formerly well seasoned steel kettle grate.

Comment

For me, if I use it a lot then I like to replace it every year with a bright shiny new one. For a grate I don't use as often I get thick stainless steel. I know you have a kettle, but in my WSM, my upper grate I replace every year and my lower grate is very thick stainless steel. I live on salt water and everything rusts very quickly here.

I am normally the type to buy items that are overbuilt and will last forever, but I also like nice and shiny, which is why I just replace the crappy chrome-coated weber upper grate every year.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here