Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torn on what to buy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torn on what to buy!

I am pretty new to smoking meat, and am going to buy a grill/smoker combo. I am torn between the Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill 22 with a slow and sear attachment
    Master built 560 gravity fed
    Weber Smokey mountain

For budget sake I need the best grill/smoker combo. I have read up a lot on the 3 listed but am struggling to pull the trigger and pick one. I really like the master built 560 gravity fed grill, but saw that AmazingRibs.com has revoked their platinum rating for the time being.
    Any advice or suggestions on the 3 listed above?
    Thank you!

I have a Weber Performer with SnS and like it a lot. It's a very versatile set up. IMO it would be a good place for you to start. You can add another unit later on.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh and BTW, I have one too!

• Greygoose
      Greygoose commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m with these guys

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      I also have the Performer/SnS, very versatile.

Thanks for the advise! Is the temperature fairly easy to control with the Weber performer?

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Once you learn the Performer, you can dial it in pretty well. If you want precise control, you can add the Pit Viper fan and controller. I do that for long cooks like pork butt. But for most cooks, you don’t need that. I did get a welding blanket to help control temps when it’s cold out.

With an SnS you can grill and smoke on the Kettle. The question is how many peeps are you likely to be cookin' for. There are also a ton of accessories for the Kettle that will allow you to cook in different ways for different products.
    The Masterbuilt is the clear winner for capacity, but appears to have some "issues"...
    The WSM is the same size as the Kettle, but I think you can smoke on several levels - not really sure as I don't have one. It may also be harder to grill on it.

Good luck on your choice.

Comment

• Tylerss
      Tylerss commented
      Editing a comment
      I will typically be cooking for 4-6 people.

I would vote for the performer and SlowNSear for the versility and I would add a Vortex for about $40.

Comment

Ditto

Comment

Weber Performer Premium 22
        Is the deluxe version worth the price or is the premium just as good?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          It loos like a $40 difference in price. When I got mine 10 years ago, I thought the igniter was a gimmick, but I use it every time I start a fire. For me, it would be well worth $40.

• ScottyC13
          ScottyC13 commented
          Editing a comment
          The igniter is awesome. One bottle has lasted many cooks for me, around 20.

Another tip of the hat to Weber Performer. Extremely versatile with skads of OEM and after market accessories.

Comment

• MX5
          MX5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Plus you get to drill large holes in it to add cool stuff.

The deluxe has the touch n go gas ignition system while the premium does not.
        I always just used charcoal with the chimney starter and paper in my standard kettle and I had no complaints. Recently I got the WSCG which has the ignition system and thought I'd never use it because the paper works just fine, but I was very wrong. Turning that knob and walking away is so nice and to add it to the performer for another $40 is a no brainier in my mind. Again I was on the other side of that fence prior to having used one.
        I will say that just by the nature of the design of the igniter you will ALWAYS have a place for air to enter the kettle. This isn't a deal breaker by a long shot but it's something I've realized needs to be taken into account when using it low and slow.

Comment

Oh yeah, the performer gets my vote too.

Comment

IMO the deluxe burner is worth the $40 to easily light a chimney. If budget and needing the best all around grill and smoker, it's hard to beat the Performer with a Slow 'n Sear. The Weber kettle platform has so many accessories available and is not reliant upon many mechanical parts that would fail you except possibly the ignitor. Replacement wear parts are cheap too.

If your budget changes later you can always add something more specialized as a second cook later like the Masterbuilt, a pellet grill, or another smoker. I don't think anything Masterbuilt makes screams quality. I'm very intrigued by their gravity smokers, but I would personally head into it thinking I'd be pretty happy if it lasted 5 years with some minor issues to work through. The performer should easily last you 15-20 if you take care of it and if you take good care of it, virtually forever with maybe replacing grates and sweepers every once in while.

You can get a rotisserie, the SnS, a vortex like mentioned before for chicken, several Weber Gourmet accessories. There's pretty much nothing you cannot cook on a performer. I'd still have mine if I didn't get a Summit Charcoal. I do miss having a rotisserie though.

I've never had a WSM, but I think it's going to frustrate you as a grill even if you love it as a smoker.

Comment

I've been going through basically this exact same decision, but already have a gas grill, so more focused on smoking than grilling for my next cooker.

If you don't already have a gas grill, smokey joe or something else you like for grilling, then a kettle of some sort is probably the right answer. A 26" would give you the most flexibility for grilling + smoking with a SNS, but they are out of stock everywhere as far as I can tell. (if someone knows where to get one shipped to CA, please tell me). The exception to this is if you know you'll have to smoke large amounts of food... kettle's aren't known for quantity.

For me personally, I started looking outside kettles at the PBC because I had the gas grill already. I'd had a PBC a few years ago and had to get rid of it after 1 cook (previous neighbors & HOA). Hanging meats looks fun, set it and forget it sounds great, and I liked the idea of being able to easily transport it.

I'm now leaning towards a 18 WSM because I can't get enough of "Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans" and the WSM will do a better job of smoking meat + a tub of beans. Also, without getting too nitpicky about the details, you can generally set up a WSM to cook like a PBC by opening vents, not using a water pan, and even getting accessories to hang meats instead of using the grates. If smoking is a priority for you, you can pretty easily raise the basket to make grilling work on a WSM.

Comment

Definitely the Performer. I have the base performer. I am not familiar with how the ignition system works, but using a chimney with a starter is no inconvenience to me at all. With a kettle you can do this down the road. If you are interested in that mod, a base performer gives you more options where to mount it as opposed to one with an ignition system. jfmorris can provide a testament to that. I'm not discouraging you from a version with an ignition system, just providing another vantage point. There are seemingly endless mods you can add to a kettle as you expand your Pitmaster skills that are just plain fun and addicting.

Depending on how regularly you cook for up to 6 people, you may want to look into a 26" Weber kettle. With the above mod and other accessories, there is nothing you won't be able to do and do well. Plus the 26 has a ton of room.

Comment

• Rod
                  Rod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jfmorris My bad, I thought you were limited radially due to the ignition system.

• Rod
                  Rod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jhapka Always have to mention the 26 when someone new is looking for advice! It's crazy that in description there is only a 4" difference, but when you physically look at a 26 it's like "holy crap, that's a ton of grill space!".

• jhapka
                  jhapka commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Rod agreed you don’t realize the scale of the cooker until you put it together and sit it next to a 22”. Weber should have given it a cool name instead of listing it by diameter.

Weber Summit Charcoal. Most versatile grill/smoker around.
                • Grills like a kettle. Easily does 2 zones and direct grilling.
                • Smokes Like a Kamado. Insulated to make indirect Kamado style smoking and cooking simple.
                The more I use mine the more I love it. It does everything very well.
                Last edited by Old Glory; July 10, 2020, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• Rod
                  Rod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't have one, but would love to. It's the price point that I struggle with. Even if I was wealthy, I'd have a hard time justifying that price. Then again, if I was wealthy, I'd probably buy 2.

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Rod:

It's less expensive than an XL BGE and a much better value but I get it.

I'm going to recommended a totally different direction.

What you want is a Broil King Baron!!

Its great for grilling!

It's easy to add some grill grates and set up 2 zone cooking.
                It's built like a tank!!

There's enough space to put a water pan between the flavor bars and the grate, and smoke with foil pouches full of wood chips.
                Has enough room for 3 racks of ribs or 3 6lb pork pork.
                ​​​​​

Now they come with an IR side burner that can get a million degrees for a great steak crust.

It has a rating of 13 out of 13 ribs.

You have immediate temperature control by adjusting a knob..... Or several knobs.

I have this grill and smoked exclusively on mine for 6 years, and only just now got a dedicated smoker.
                ​​​​
                Did I mention how well it's built? It'll hold a low temp for days. You'll get bored how easy it is to make delicious bbq...... And great steaks, and quick burgers, and fajitas, and shrimps.....

And by then, youll have a better idea as to what ELSE you want.
                Last edited by BFlynn; July 9, 2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are killing me man!

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey, it's YOUR fault I now know about the IR sear burner that I'm going to have to buy.

Thanks?

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here