Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Performer Deluxe - Where to Drill a Hole for Air & Meat Temp Probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Performer Deluxe - Where to Drill a Hole for Air & Meat Temp Probes

Hello, I want to drill a hole in my Weber Performer Deluxe grill in order to insert air & meat temperature probes & cables (Thermoworks ThermaQ® WiFi High Temp Kit). I'll be using the Slow 'N Sear® in my grill as well. Where specifically should I drill a hole for these 2 probes and what size & type of drill bit should I use to drill through its porcelain enamel coated steel? I would assume that the hole should be drilled in the bottom half of the grill (bowl) but near the cooking grate since the air temp probe will be clipped on to this grate. But there appears to be limited area to drill because of the attached table which surrounds over half of the bowl, blocking its right side, front, & back. And I wouldn't drill on the grill's left side because that is where you rest the grill's lid into the Tuck-Away lid holder. The ThermaQ® unit does have magnets on its back side. Note: The cables & probes are heat resistant up to 662ËšF.

Thank you!

Attached Files

I have the Performer Deluxe as well. For the air and meat probes, you want to drill a hole just above the level of the cooking grate. If it were me, I would do it on the table side of the bowl, just above the charcoal grate, in the front of the Performer. To do this, it would be easiest if you remove the screws that hold the table down, pull the table off, then put it back once done.

Some folks on here have used a grommet that is made for the Weber Smokey Mountain, but it requires a 1.25 inch hole in order for the high temp silicone grommet to install. You would use a step bit to drill that hole. Others just drill a smaller hole, and don't bother with grommet. I think a 1/4" hole would pass my probes for my Thermoworks Smoke through, and be small enough to not worry much about smoke leakage. You need a hole large enough for that springy thing on the air probe to pass through, so maybe the Weber Smokey Mountain Grommet would be good.

Here's a link to what I am talking about. Not the actual Weber one, but a clone of it:

https://www.amazon.com/Impresa-Produ...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I would just install that such that the slot you shove the cables through is above the level of the table, in that front left corner of the table, where it ends and you transition to just the tubular frame.
    Last edited by jfmorris; June 12, 2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• MX5
      MX5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Drill from the inside out with that step down bit after having first drilled a pilot hole. I did everything else that jfm said.

A hole is rather permanent, so think about where you want the SnS to be set, and where you'll want the meat to be. Obviously you'll want the probes to be coming on the indirect side where the meat is, so of course the hole should be on that side and in the bowl not the lid. (EDIT: And I agree with jfmorris, put your hole just above the food grate level in the bottom bowl). I personally just go under the lid with my probe wires, gently, and have never drilled holes. That way I can move things around as I please, but not everyone likes to go under the lid.

Comment

I drilled my 26" for the thermometer so that the probe enters above the cooking grate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200503_192701.jpg Views:	0 Size:	534.4 KB ID:	861001

I drilled my fan port in a location where it didn't interfere with the sweepers which is easier to do on the 26 but doable on the 22.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200503_191442.jpg Views:	0 Size:	676.6 KB ID:	861002
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200503_150143.jpg Views:	0 Size:	506.1 KB ID:	861003

I drilled both holes opposite of where the SnS goes.
      Last edited by Attjack; June 12, 2020, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack shows the grommet I was talking about - I might get one of those some day, but for now am too lazy to drill the hole. On a 22" Performer you will have to put a fan adapter like he shows in between where two of the ash sweeps run - there are 3 spots where none of the ash sweeps run on the 22", below the charcoal grate. On mine, looking down into the kettle from the front of the Performer, it would probably be around 1, 5 and 9 on the face of a clock.
        Last edited by jfmorris; June 12, 2020, 11:08 AM.

I have been using a Thermoworks Smoke with air and meat probes for 3+ years with my Performer Deluxe, and sort of alternate between putting the wires through one of the top vents, and putting them under the edge of the lid. It can cause a little smoke leakage under the edge of the lid where the wires run, but it has not messed up any of the probes, and the slight smoke leakage doesn't seem to affect my cooking temperature.

The only hole I have drilled in my Performer is a hole to mount a fan using an adapter from bbqguru.com - I put that hole below the charcoal grate, and in the front, in between where the ash sweeps run. If you ever decide to add a fan controller, I'll be happy to take pictures of how I did that. You always want the fan on the opposite side from the Slow 'N Sear, so I now put the SnS in the back when using the fan, with the fan in the front.

Comment

I don't have a performer but I would think I would want to drill the probe port in this location toward the back on the right side so I could run my probes under the table and through the hole that way the wires would be out of the way so I could take advantage of the table without interference. If you add a fan I would do it where the other arrow below is as long as didn't interfere with the sweepers. That way it's tucked out of the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	performer.png
Views:	1010
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	861013

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          My hole for the guru adapter is just above the ash sweep handle in the picture above, so that I can see the fan under there and hook it up easily.

Well, there you have it, the Pit to the rescue!

Just wanted to chip in on what Huskee said. I too run my cables between lid and bottom half, and have done for years. I have yet to ruin a probe.

BUT: I've done one mod that beats most other mods. I bought a replacement gasket for Kamado Joe/BGE/Monolith (yes, I have bought all three at different times). Those gaskets are self-adhesive. So I removed the lid, cleaned the inside edge real good, then mounted the gasket there. The seal between the bottom half and the lid is 100% perfect, and it closes much 'quieter' now (more of a fancy car feeling), plus the gasket means you won't damage the thermometer cables. It's just a 10-15 dollar upgrade, but worth 100 bucks in my mind. Here's a short video showing you how.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm doing the gasket. Thanks for the video

I drilled mine just above and to the right of the XR-50 base unit in the picture, and just below the tabletop. Right where the tabletop ends. Wires are completely out of the way with this setup. My SnS is located about where the lid holder is, but a little more to the rear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_181654.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	861069

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Your PartyQ fan is installed in the same area as mine. The other options were the far left, or the back, which didn't work well when I was standing in front of the Performer - I often have it near a wall of the house.

If you drill a hole, I would recommend filing down the edges of the hole when you are done to remove any left over sharp bits.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I've not done anything to the edges of mine, as it is covered by the Guru adapter, and the grill is under a cover. Not much bare metal there to rust, since the porcelain is still intact on the inside and outside surface, and the edge of the cut is pretty small.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris True, but I still plan to dab on a little paint just in case.

• Loren
          Loren commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine has a shiny ring around the hole. So day I'll fix it, once my stick burner stops rusting lol

My main concern initially is sharp edges. I stick a pan of beans under whatever meat I'm cooking to soak up the juices, so I move the probe a lot. I also move it around depending on what I'm cooking (chuckie, chicken thighs, wibs, brisket, rain, etc). So having smooth edges helps keep wear and tear on the cable down.

I put mine just above the grill towards the back of the table.

Comment

• Catmandu
          Catmandu commented
          Editing a comment
          I did the same. I installed one of the WSM grommets in the hole. I've found it easier to thread the probe wires through the grommet from the inside of the grill to the outside.

All good advice above but I always thought old Rod did the best job of summing it up in one sticky post on the Weber subchannel.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-and-fan-combo

Comment

• Rod
          Rod commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

I’m gonna throw a wrench in here. I have a Performer with the propane assist. It comes in right under the table where I would like my fan to go so it is out of the way. Has anyone encountered this or have any advice on how to proceed? I’ll be using the SnS as well, on the side that my lid holder is. I’ll also be installing a silicone grommet on the side nearest the table for an ambient probe. If anyone uses a rotisserie ring like myself, set it in place before you drill to assure you have room for the probe. If I don’t, I’ll simply drill another grommet into the ring. I’ve modified my ring with a gasket for a snug fit as I plan on using it as a pseudo WSM. I may drill two grommets in the ring. One for smoking and one for rotisserie use. I’ll post some photos once I get going.

Any help on the propane/fan placement would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Comment

Jbraundds. ...here is the spot where I drilled mine. It allows for total sweep of the ash fins. Click image for larger version

Name:	46D1BE0F-4C79-42D5-9175-D0050A4DAF48.jpeg
Views:	940
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	864847

Comment

Thanks so much MX5! I did the exact same thing- thanks for the great idea!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here