Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggest a Weber model for our family of 3? Postage stamp backyard, easy to hide/maintain/clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggest a Weber model for our family of 3? Postage stamp backyard, easy to hide/maintain/clean?

HI all,
    Our family of 3 (child is 4yr old) live in an urban area with a very small backyard. Not much privacy and we do not plan to cook much, but we would like a grill of some sort that would be easy to move/clean/use. Can someone suggest us a model to hold us over on backyard cooking until we move to a bigger house in the future?

Thanks!
    P>S> I thought of Weber , but if there's another product out there that may be better suitable for us, let me know.

What fuel do you want to use? Gas or charcoal? For gas I have and like the Weber Spirit II 3 burner in stainless. For charcoal I would go with a Weber kettle. I know space is small in your backyard but for a gas grill grill I would get a minimum 3 burner so you can do some 2 zone cooking. In a 2 burner the flames are too close to get good zones.

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. You want a 3 burner gas.

I have a family of four. When it comes to charcoal I have a small area as well and the Performer is a perfect fit. I love the small work table that comes with. You’ll want/need a work area sooner or later.

I agree on a Weber kettle if going to use charcoal. No idea of your budget. For your sized family, an 18" Jumbo Joe is large enough and will cost you around $70. Comes on a stand, so unless you want to squat to cook you might want an inexpensive metal table, just be sure its sturdy. For a little more money (depends on which model you choose)...there are several models in the 22" size which you will be glad you have for additional space and you can grow into it. Also there are many accessories you can add to it to add versatility if you find you want to continue with outside cooking. There are many other possibilities, but a charcoal kettle can be used to grill as well as smoke and with some learned skills on your part, can make some amazing food! Good luck in your choice!

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Jumbo Joe was going to be my recommendation as well.

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      Another vote for the Jumbo Joe. Easy to pick up and store.

• Greygoose
      Greygoose commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m with you guys,,,,
      Love my Jumbo

Weber kettle is great. A performer has the table that is nice to have. Also hard to run off with. Look on Craigslist for used. I found one in almost new condition for $170.00.

Comment

If you don’t expect to use it a lot, and want to hide it in storage when not in use, a gas grill is probably out of the question, even if it would be most convenient to use.

Charcoal grilling just requires an extra 30ish minutes time get the charcoal going and setup, but you simply dump the ash into a trash bag the next day and throw it away, then you can put the grill away, or cover it.

While I love Weber kettles, another nice charcoal grill to consider is the PK from PK Grills. They have a variety of models, but may cost more than a 18” or 22” kettle.

A Weber 22” kettle is a very flexible cooker - you can grill, smoke, add a rotisserie, do wood fires pizza, griddle and dry over fire, and there are tons of add one for the 22” size. That is probably would I would consider, along with a Weber chimney and some starter cubes for lighting your charcoal.

if you go with a 22” kettle, I highly recommend the premium grill as it has an easy ash cleanout bucket. The smaller ones you will just need to dump into the trash by tipping the kettle over.
      Last edited by jfmorris; May 28, 2020, 07:04 AM.

Comment

I know you will get scads of this & that, but a 22” kettle seems perfect for a young small family just statin out. One of our members makes the SnS 22” Kettle. It is top of the line of 22 inchers. There is also the Napoleon 22 a 1/4 step behind, then the Weber a smidge behind it. The versatility of these will give you everything you can imagine in the way of just cookin but, then if you want accessories to delve into smokin & even exotic Santa Maria style (Gabby’s Grills) but that’s for another time. This is in the charcoal category as you start to learn with burnin with Fire. Personally, I wouldn’t start off with gas. Ya can have gas in the house, who gives a rip. My 2 1/2 cents worth. Keep the coals hot & enjoy! Welcome BTW.

Comment

I agree, if you're gonna use charcoal (good choice!) then a Weber kettle is the way to go. Buy one used, and get replacement grates and a Slow 'n Sear and you're golden. I have used Napoleon quite a bit, but don't like them. Not good enough quality. The PK is brilliant, but costs a bit more.

Comment

My father actually upped his game tremendously when he switched out his old gasser for a Weber Kettle with a Slow 'n Sear.

Comment

I'm going to buck conventional wisdom and recommend the 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, especially if you want to do a lot of BBQ. And don't let anyone tell you that it's a PITA to grill on one. The diameter is a little limited if you want to do 2-zone, but it's just as versatile as an 18.5" Weber kettle for all things grilling. And it's an awesome smoker, with more capacity than a 22" kettle. But it has a smaller footprint. There are all kinds of hacks to make it as versatile as your 22 inch kettle.

Here's the set up I use to grill on mine. Family of four.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/g...-weber-bullet/
              Last edited by Beefchop; May 28, 2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I have both a Weber 22 1/2 and a gas grill. Guess which gets used most, yea the Weber 22 1/2. kettle. I use the gas grill for quick cooks of burgers, hot dogs, pork chops, veggies and others, You get the idea.

Comment

I definitely vote for a 22" kettle. There is nothing you can't learn to do on it. It's capabilities combined with the knowledge and support you get here will satisfy all your BBQ needs and concerns. Depending on your budget, I'd get the SnS kettle. It's ready for future mods and has a folding side shelf. A side shelf is invaluable and since it folds, it helps with your current lack of space.

The Most Versatile Kettle on the Market! The Slow 'N Sear® Kettle Grill gives you all the performance you’d expect from a kettle style charcoal grill and is customized to work with our Slow ‘N Sear® accessory for unrivaled searing power, low ‘n slow smoking, and true two-zone cooking capability.

Comment

You could get a Weber Q and a Jumbo Joe. This would cover a lot of bases and both could be put on a shelf in the garage. You can grill on the Q and both grill and smoke on the Jumbo Joe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Iqx7bKZmEec_qhbVf3PmsyiV8yZg8RBsFCeHRmV7plWpGgFGd5wM31w-cnZLF0ckZkbaNsa7RZW9KKZxPx9ewxz148rPeftU0K9YnfUvIkEuwgsgfcGBMGzkA8b3qUzJgZSiyXox1_L6hM4bsKcyAIjIxi7jgm0yLl0mZrSX068t7FASGMMFSGemIGCkwFoUi3II2SYhKmtpXxpV5BMRwTyzZrYC94qaWG2fgCQdmf-zz8_TRUidIJZy61OHRys Views:	0 Size:	504.5 KB ID:	853227

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180809_200736.jpg Views:	0 Size:	375.3 KB ID:	853228

This Jumbo Joe had been modded BTW.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180809_121217.jpg Views:	0 Size:	385.0 KB ID:	853229
                    Last edited by Attjack; May 28, 2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Razor
                      Razor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have an original Q. Love it for what it is but the downside is you can’t do indirect cooking on it. I take mine to parties and special events and have no problem cooking 100+ burgers on it.

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, that's a major drawback of the Q. Weber should really make it a 2 burner. But that's why I recommended the combo of these 2 grills. Razor

This really depends on a couple things. What you plan to cook most of and how much are you looking to spend? Like the everyone else I would say either a gas grill or the weber kettle. Weber makes all different sizes but for a family of 3 the 22" would be a good fit or even the 26" if you ever plan to have a small group of friends over.
                    Something else to think about is the smaller sized pellet grills that are out there. I think Green Mountain Grills makes a small grill that might fit your needs...just some food for thought...

Oh...and welcome from Southeast Illinois.

Comment

P.S. This’ll be a little long fer a short ps on my previous post which is why I’m usin up more real estate. What ever you do, spend as much as you can & then add 50 or a hun... for good measure. In the end you will feel really good about yer entrance into the Pit venture & you will have fed the impending MCS right off the bat, yessir. 🕶

Comment

Wow! Great responses! Thanks everyone. I went with the simple Weber 22' charcoal grill as a start. I will progressively add on to that (or purchase bigger grills) once we get our living situation figured out (have a baby on the way, looking for a new house, etc). I will report back once I get a few cooking sessions under my belt. Thanks again.

Comment

• N227GB
                          N227GB commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good choice! There are a ton of aftermarket accessories available and one of the most popular is the Slow N Sear. I can personally recommend GrillGrates.

• Razor
                          Razor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Excellent starting place. You might need more grilling space one day, but you will never outgrow the abilities of that grill. As others have mentioned, get a good thermometer, either Weber baskets or the classic Slow N Sear, and GrillGrates, in that order.

• mountainsmoker
                          mountainsmoker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Congrats learn what the Weber 22 1/2 can do and you can cook on any other grill. It is a versatile son of a gun. Not only a grill but a smoker. That is a 16ls turkey I smoked in my avatar. I routinely smoke ribs and brisket. With the SNS and a Fireboard and fan you will be all set.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here