Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with 26.75" BBQ Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with 26.75" BBQ Station

Hey everybody! I'm going make a cart station for my 26 inch kettle. I found a great video for something easy enough for me to do. Problem is that I'm not super handy and I need help adjusting the cut list and supplies needed because the video is for a 22" kettle (yikes or is that an 18"?).

I'm thinking maybe just an additional 2X6 board for the table top to make it wider make the top boards 46" long instead of 40".

There's the 27" length 2X4s for the underside of the table and the bottom storage between the legs. I'm guessing she chose 27" because the top is 5 boards each 6" wide for a total width of 30" and then the 27" is slightly less wide than the top. So with an additional 2x6 on top that's 36" width for the top meaning I should do ~32 inches for the boards underneath? If the table's going to be 46" long I will probably need an additional fence board for the bottom shelf too right?

Thanks if you can help me sort this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu8ObEUIfxk

Original Cut List

8 @ 32 x 2 x 4 inches - legs, nailed or glued together
    5 @ 40 x 2 x 6 inches - table top pieces
    5 @ 27 1/2 x 2 x 4 inches - top is screwed to these pieces
    2 @ 27 x 2 x 4 inches
    5 @ 27 x fence boards - bottom shelf

Proposed Cut List for 26" (Changes highlighted in red)
    8 @ 32 x 2 x 4 inches - legs, nailed or glued together
    6 @ 46 x 2 x 6 inches - table top pieces
    5 @ 32 1/2 x 2 x 4 inches - top is screwed to these pieces
    2 @ 32 x 2 x 4 inches (These ones I am not sure about I think they run from leg to leg and the bottom shelf boards lay across them do I need to make them even longer to account for the table being longer?)
    6 @ 32 x fence boards - bottom shelf
    Last edited by jhapka; April 24, 2020, 01:16 PM.

I don’t know if you are aware that the width and thickness of boards do not equal the stated size. Thus for example a 1x6 is really 3/4x51/2.
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; April 24, 2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      This is why I ask you guys, I had no idea that was the case. Thank you

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      But the length of the board is actual and not nominal like the width and thickness correct?

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Length is actual jhapka.

Hey, that's exactly the video I watched and wanted to adapt to the 26" kettle! I never got beyond the YouTube stage, but I'll be following this.

Comment

She was pretty light on the details, and I think that she left a few pieces off. I have a 26" and have toyed with the idea of building something to house it, so this has prompted me to give it a bit more thought.

Let me see if I can take a crack at using what she provided and your updates, but fill in the gaps.

Legs:
      8 @ 32 x 2 x 4 inches - legs, nailed or glued together to create square legs - You may have to cut 2 of these shorter to account for the wheels. I'd suggest constructing the legs, adding the wheels, then cutting length off the top of those legs so that all legs are the same length. Also, I'll say that with 2 X construction, this thing will be HEAVY and those plastic wheels may not hold up, you may want to look into buying casters that can take more weight.

Tabletop:
      6 @ 46 x 2 x 6 inches - table top pieces
      3 @ 32 1/2 x 2 x 4 inches - top is screwed to these pieces

Bottom Shelf:
      You're going to build a simple rectangular framework for the bottom. The shelf boards will sit on top. The legs will attach to the outside of this square to provide some stability
      2 @ 32 1/2 X 2 X 4 inches - These pieces run the width of the table. She attaches these to the legs first, which will work just fine. The legs will also attach to the "outside" of these pieces
      2 @ 39 1/2 X 2 X 4 inches - These will run the length of the table & will form the long sides of this rectangular framework. The video shows her marking off where she will put these to make complete the rectangle at about the 4:15 mark in the video
      7 @ 32 1/2 X 1 X 6 inches - This is the shelf. She calls these fence boards, but fence boards can come in different widths. So just get 1X6 here. The width of all of these boards combined will be about 1 inch smaller than the space that you've created for the shelf. Depending on what you're storing down there, you could just put a small gap between each board and it will be fine. Alternatively, you could make those 39 1/2 inch long pieces above just 38 1/2 inches or you could cut some plywood to exact size if you want.

Also, she puts some 2 X 4 edge boards around the tabletop, and I don't think she included that in the cut list. If you want to do that, here is what you would need:

Tabletop Edging
      2 @ 46 X 2 X 4 These run the length of the table top, and this is the board that she hangs the tool hooks on. She attaches the face of this board to the edge of the outer boards of the tabletop
      2 @ 35 1/2 X 2 X 4 These run the width of the tabletop, and this is the piece she hangs pull handle on. She attaches the face of this to the ends of the tabletop boards. I would attach this last, and cut it to the exact width of the tabletop plus the edging after you put it all together. Also note that the tabletop will expand and contract along the length of this board, so screwing this piece to the tabletop could cause a bit of cracking and warping as it will constrict the wood's need to expand and contract. Since this is an outdoor table, if it lives in an environment with significant seasonal swings in temperature and humidity, this could be a problem.

A couple of other things I will note. I'm not sure I would place my kettle directly on wood. There are several videos out there that show methods for providing a small air gap between the kettle and the tabletop (which is the way I would go, personally).

She gave very little detail on sizing the hole. Maybe imagine where it will sit within the table, and use a string to measure the circumference of the grill at that point on the kettle (likely not 26.75"), and use that as a starting point.

Also, I pulled all of this off the top of my head. I'm sure it's close to being the sizes/quantity you need. But you may just want to use this as a guide to the purposes of buying lumber. Then build it piece by piece, making cuts as you go so that you can adjust as needed (as opposed to cutting everything first then assembling afterward).

Oh, and make sure you invest in a good board stretcher. : )
      Last edited by DurhamBuckeye; April 24, 2020, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• DurhamBuckeye
        DurhamBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        jhapka you are right about the edging. A 2x 6 would cover it better. But she used a 2x4 so I included that. In hers I think she only actually included that edging on 3 sides. But those pieces are there for aesthetic purposes only. So whatever you think would look good

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        DurhamBuckeye great we're improving on her design already!

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I remember that she used the lid as a template for the hole. Or that could have been a different video.

Before I started the station for my 22 1/2” Weber kettle I got advice from a cabinet maker.
      Can’t hurt to get a professional’s opinion.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here