Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bricks to raise charcoal in kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    Those are all good suggestions, Rick and I can personally vouch for the hovergrill idea as I've tried it successfully.

• Rick13175
    replied
    I don't particularly like the idea of putting bricks in my brand new weber--just seems like damage to the porcelain waiting to happen. Wouldn't they also interfere with the one-touch lower vent?
    I offer three suggestions, none of which I've tried yet but intend to. My Master Touch came with the two charcoal holders, they can be bought separately and they rest on top of the lower grate. This puts the heat a little closer to the cooking area. Additionally, my top grate is part of the gourmet cooking system with the removable center grate. For smaller meals the center grate could be placed on top of the charcoal holders. I also hear that the hover grate can be used instead of the upper grate, which places the cooking area closer to the heat.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I used a cinder block placed vertically in the cooking chamber, to raise the basket o coals in my PBC for a high temp sear on a prime rib, it worked awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Ailkiw
    replied
    I was in the same boat when trying to raise my grate. I scoured all the hardware stores here in Montreal, Canada and couldn't find any fire bricks. Any salesperson I spoke too stared back at me like a deer in headlights with the soft sound of crickets in the background. Canada's really the "3rd world of the new world" when it comes to BBQ supplies unless you find a rare specialty store that will massively over charge you. Whoops. Sorry for the rant. Remedied the problem by buying a Vortex. It's like hanging a steak behind a jet engine. A 2" ribeye gets a gorgeous sear in about 60 seconds and it has a couple of other configurations which are neat. Besides. I just like saying VORTEX! Lol. The Slow 'n Sear looks like a pretty nifty solution as well.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    If I read correctly David Parrish said we might be able to order them by the end of this week on www.abcbarbecue.com
    Last edited by DWCowles; May 19, 2015, 10:21 AM.

• LSUBBQFan
    replied
    Thanks everyone -- all great options. DWCowles I am definitely watching for the SnS to hit the market. I had been interested in the Smokenator but had a few reservations and never bought one, but those seem to be addressed with the SnS from what I've been reading.

Anyone know a projected date these will be available (outside of the kickstarter program)? And has the price been decided? Seems like I read around $70 but depended upon the cost to produce, of course.

Leave a comment:

• FLBuckeye
    replied
    I have a "beater" 22" Weber kettle I use for searing. I keep the three fire bricks in it so I am not constantly moving them around. It helps I have 4 kettles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8300297.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	83759

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    Oh use your chimney starter turned upside down......

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    I have cheapo bricks in my Old Smokey... works pretty good, but there is a plate on top of them to hold the charcoal

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
    Better yet, get a SnS when David Parrish puts them on the market.
    This is also a great option. It's designed to stack the coals up really close to the grate. And then you have the added bonus of using your kettle as a legitimate smoker with this little gem of a device. It's a win-win IMO.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    A couple of other options:

Use lump or Kingsford Competition charcoal. Both burn hotter than traditional Kingsford and when I use them they develop a really good sear very quickly.

Instead of moving the fire higher perhaps bring the grate lower and closer to the fire. You could probably pick up a grate for an 18.5" kettle pretty cheap. You have to be a little careful because it will just be resting on the sides of your dome and won't be on pegs. It should be fine though. I did this once with my hover grill and it worked out fine.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Better yet, get a SnS when David Parrish puts them on the market.

Leave a comment:

• carpenter
    replied
    go to your closest masonry supply store and pick up some fire brick, either full brick or some that are used for lining a wood stove and the correct mortar if you need it.

Leave a comment:

• LSUBBQFan
    replied
    Thanks guys -- good info. Yeah if they would've had a plain ole brick I would've bought them. I'll make a trip to a real hardware store soon but go ahead and grill with these in the meantime.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I get the el cheapo red bricks at Ace.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here