Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bricks to raise charcoal in kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bricks to raise charcoal in kettle

I'm ready to try using bricks in my 22" weber kettle to achieve the high heat sear in the rear on steaks. Disappointed that I didn't have any laying around I picked up a few at Home Depot.

I'm curious though -- are any bricks okay to cook with? Or do some contain dyes or other materials that you wouldn't want in your food? The ones I bought are called "Rumble Stones" and I think are marketed for landscape primarily. I have no idea what they're made of but would guess a concrete based mixture.

Thanks

Those are made for being outside and around fire, so there shouldn't be any chemicals that can cause problems. Though it isn't common, it is possible for a cold, wet brick to explode when taken to high heat quickly. This isn't a grenade explosion, more like a larger version of pouring water over ice and it cracks.

Comment

They will do but next time you're around a hardware store you may want to pick up some fire bricks.

Comment

I get the el cheapo red bricks at Ace.

Comment

Thanks guys -- good info. Yeah if they would've had a plain ole brick I would've bought them. I'll make a trip to a real hardware store soon but go ahead and grill with these in the meantime.

Comment

go to your closest masonry supply store and pick up some fire brick, either full brick or some that are used for lining a wood stove and the correct mortar if you need it.

Comment

Better yet, get a SnS when David Parrish puts them on the market.

Comment

A couple of other options:

Use lump or Kingsford Competition charcoal. Both burn hotter than traditional Kingsford and when I use them they develop a really good sear very quickly.

Instead of moving the fire higher perhaps bring the grate lower and closer to the fire. You could probably pick up a grate for an 18.5" kettle pretty cheap. You have to be a little careful because it will just be resting on the sides of your dome and won't be on pegs. It should be fine though. I did this once with my hover grill and it worked out fine.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                  Better yet, get a SnS when David Parrish puts them on the market.
                  This is also a great option. It's designed to stack the coals up really close to the grate. And then you have the added bonus of using your kettle as a legitimate smoker with this little gem of a device. It's a win-win IMO.

Comment

I have cheapo bricks in my Old Smokey... works pretty good, but there is a plate on top of them to hold the charcoal

Comment

Oh use your chimney starter turned upside down......

Comment

I have a "beater" 22" Weber kettle I use for searing. I keep the three fire bricks in it so I am not constantly moving them around. It helps I have 4 kettles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8300297.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	83759

Comment

Thanks everyone -- all great options. DWCowles I am definitely watching for the SnS to hit the market. I had been interested in the Smokenator but had a few reservations and never bought one, but those seem to be addressed with the SnS from what I've been reading.

Anyone know a projected date these will be available (outside of the kickstarter program)? And has the price been decided? Seems like I read around $70 but depended upon the cost to produce, of course.

Comment

I was in the same boat when trying to raise my grate. I scoured all the hardware stores here in Montreal, Canada and couldn't find any fire bricks. Any salesperson I spoke too stared back at me like a deer in headlights with the soft sound of crickets in the background. Canada's really the "3rd world of the new world" when it comes to BBQ supplies unless you find a rare specialty store that will massively over charge you. Whoops. Sorry for the rant. Remedied the problem by buying a Vortex. It's like hanging a steak behind a jet engine. A 2" ribeye gets a gorgeous sear in about 60 seconds and it has a couple of other configurations which are neat. Besides. I just like saying VORTEX! Lol. The Slow 'n Sear looks like a pretty nifty solution as well.

Comment

I used a cinder block placed vertically in the cooking chamber, to raise the basket o coals in my PBC for a high temp sear on a prime rib, it worked awesome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here