Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 26

I am picking up a new 26 this weekend, my wife paid for most of it for our anniversary. I was thinking I would keep this grill set up as a large kettle smoker, and will only otherwise be used would be if I need more grill space then I have with my 22, I am getting rid of my second 22. But, I do have a 22wsm as well. I am thinking I will keep the 26 out front, where the rest of my kitchen is out back. So, Slow n sear seem to be popular, and I believe I have read about other people using them. I will likely donate my thermoworks smoke and their fan to that grill at some point, and then putting fireboard with 6 probes into my back yard kitchen. Maybe even add a fan to my 22wsm. What other set ups have people done with a 26?

Congrats!

Comment

My 26 is my everyday grill and the 22 just hangs out waiting for the occasional rack of ribs or pork belly. Even though it is just the 2 of us at home, the 26 gets the lion's share of use. We can toss the whole meal on it (meat, veggies, taters, etc.) and not have to use the stove inside. I bought the 26 first and thought the 22 would be handy for smaller cooks and I have always wished I would have just sucked it up and bought a 2nd 26.

Comment

Nice anniversary gift! Enjoy using it.

Kathryn

Comment

Welcome to the club!

There's a lot of fun stuff you can do with a 26.

Consider getting yourself some large skewers for picahna and the like. Obviously this can be scaled way up.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20190907_183135.jpg Views:	0 Size:	642.4 KB ID:	814144

Grab yourself a bowl and make a center basket.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20180926_194853.jpg Views:	0 Size:	650.0 KB ID:	814145

Bricks don't cost much and then you got yourself a yakitori station.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20180506_185009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	688.7 KB ID:	814146

Or you can do it with a an XL SnS although it doesn't work as well as the bricks.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20180501_184317.jpg Views:	0 Size:	664.0 KB ID:	814147
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20180501_184752.jpg Views:	0 Size:	695.6 KB ID:	814148

A pizza pan and jigsaw will give you a drip pan to foil and keep your 26 clean.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20171204_140259.jpg Views:	0 Size:	458.9 KB ID:	814149
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_151602-EFFECTS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	870.3 KB ID:	814150

A little ice and smoke tube yields some tasty smoked cheese.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20171020_091811.jpg Views:	0 Size:	480.7 KB ID:	814151

The aforementioned SnS XL is nice on the 26. IMO it makes more sense than a SnS for the 22.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20171011_182021-EFFECTS (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	755.1 KB ID:	814152

You can spend $900 on an Arteflame or you can get an insert for your 26 instead.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20170914_183844.jpg Views:	0 Size:	685.4 KB ID:	814153

And yeah, you can fit a fair amount of meat on the 26.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20171029_221238.jpg Views:	0 Size:	390.6 KB ID:	814154

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey It's not easy cooking so little but I hate wasting food which is what happens when I go nuts without throwing a party and I can only throw so many parties. I'm looking forward to Sunday though because I'm doing a full packer and 2 racks.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a full packer wet aging now. Should be good in about two weeks. That’ll put it about 60-65 days.

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack these pictures and explanations are a GREAT contribution! Thank you sir.

If I get a preference Attjack it is door #7 with #11 a close second. Everything else is a tie for third, which means..............hmmmmm..... I’ll take em all!

Congrats Richard! Will you be havin fun fer awhile.
          Last edited by FireMan; March 12, 2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

If you want a Slow N Sear they are taking pre-orders for the XL https://snsgrills.com/collections/sl...slow-n-sear-xl

I have used the regular SNS on my 26 and it works fine but the XL will give you more time and a bigger sear area. If it is in your budget I think it is worth the cost. If you have two regular SNS those work great shoved together in the middle and raging hot for some chicken wings. Similar effect to what you would get with the Vortex.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Love the original in my 26. In fact I think I like it better. Harder on the longer cooks though.

Congratulations sir. The SnS is a must have. Also I think the billows is made for the wsm style vents. Still haven’t opened mine yet.

Comment

I absolutely love mine and plan on getting a second one this spring. I have a a fan and controller setup, a vortex and a SnS. I’m thinking if I buy a second SnS it will be the 22” so I’ll have even more room??

Comment

Huskee was the guy who convinced me to get the 26.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've been accused of worse

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was in my early days on this forum. I still appreciate the advice!

Congrats! You're bound to love the extra space. Be warned though, that 26's lid is heavy!

I don't really have any exciting setups to share, but here's a fun pic I've shared a few times in discussions about the space of the 26 vs 22 and their Slow 'N Sears. The red line is the edge of the SnS. This gives you a visual of how much more real estate you get beyond just the '4 inches bigger'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Both kettles with Sns grates.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	814553

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Attjack, is it a handle that goes lower on the "front" side of the lid, like what the Ranch kettle has? That's a good idea. Not only is the 26 lid fairly heavy, it gets even harder to manage as gunk builds up under the edge.

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steve R. Yes, that's the spot. That way if you want to remove the lid you use the top handle (and the front handle) but if you want to open up the lid and let the lid holder receive it you would use the new front handle. It will easily slide into the open position.

• JimLinebarger
                  JimLinebarger commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wish I saw this before I got my 22 a few years ago.

If you just looking for things, you could head over to https://www.cajunbandit.com/ and pickup their rotisserie rings for the 26. You also might be on the lookout for a used SmokeEZ insert (review is on this website). The insert will turn your 26 into a gigantic WSM. I say used because while the owner says they are still in business and just looking for a new manufacturer it has been over 2yrs since they produced anything.

Comment

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have the 26 Smoke E-Z and I believe I have somewhat of a lemon. Yes, you can put a car load of meat on it. But, because of fitment issues temperature control is iffy at best. Mine was built with a slight taper at the top so the lid doesn't fit well at all. BUT, I do like the hanger system so you can hang chickens ala the PBC. It works great in that capacity.

I actually have two and the fit on mine are kettle specific. Get one on the wrong kettle and I get a lot of leak issues, which is probably why SmokeEZ is out looking for a manufacturer. Or, it could be the second kettle I got was a scratch and dent that Home Depot had marked down to $100, which I bought just for parts (the cooking grates for the 26 are, or were, about $100 each). I can get 4 briskets on each, when I am cooking for a crowd I love them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here