Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Naked" Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Naked" Kettle

Does anybody leave their Weber Kettle "Naked" in their back yard. No cover / No shelter?

I am going to attempt to build a concrete surface BBQ table this spring to insert my 22" Weber Kettle into and I am thinking of just letting the lid stay exposed to the elements.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks

Yeah, I do. They're all out there and they're all holding up just fine.

Comment

Yup

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        We can't count you. It never rains in SoCal.

Yes.

Comment

I do when they are hot after use and I forget to put the covers back on when they cool down. This last time they stood naked through a morning of snow and around a week and a half of rain.

Comment

Out in the open year round. Its seen better days and it doesn't have the shine it used to but it's from 1983 and I didn't get it from my grandpa till 2005 or so.

Comment

I keep mine covered in my garage, just because I have a cover and it keeps the dust and whatnot off. It should hold up just fine without the cover, but I personally would keep mine covered since bird poop on anything is a big turnoff to me.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              the handle doubles as a perch.

Yes.

Comment

Got 4 of them sitting on the back patio uncovered right now. Been through years of sun, snow, and rain and still work great. If I gave them a wash they would look great as well. I have covers for all of them but never get around to putting them on after I cook and by the next morning who can be bothered?

Comment

And to think all this time I felt very guilty about leaving mine outdoors uncovered even though I have covers for them. I feel a weight lifted as I was sure I'd be reprimanded for my actions. Glad I'm not the only "abuser."

Comment

I leave mine uncovered most of the year, along with the BGE, but cover both for winter. Typically we get about a foot of snow built up on the deck in December, which grows to maybe 18” or so over the season. This winter has been really mild, there is no snow at all on the deck.

Comment

I cover mine around here mostly to keep bird poop, pollen and tree sap off the grill and on the cover. Lot of trees around here that make a mess. My older Genesis ran for 10 years without a cover though.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                      Michael_in_TX commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Absolutely. I remember last Spring looking outside and thinking...."I don't remember buying the green Kettle...."

I just picked one up and have it in the garage right now.
                    Going to grab a cover from Home Depot sometime this week then its out to the backyard to join the rest of the crew.
                    Plus I can't get the gate open for the snow drift....

Comment

I've had mine for over a decade uncovered. No issues other then the loss of glossiness (it was gone when I was gifted it by friends).

I'll wipe it down with a wet cloth every now and then. Or if the birds poop on it, which is really the only downside of not covering it my opinion.

Comment

Living in jersey i try not to. Personally i have come to think the weber branded covers suck. Unless you want to splash on a custom cover, ive found found the charbroil (believe it or not) to be pretty decent

Comment

• smokin fool
                          smokin fool commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good info on the Weber branded cover, will take that into consideration when buying.
                          Agree with others bird doodie is gross.

• Michael_in_TX
                          Michael_in_TX commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm using an Amazon Basics cover right now for my Weber It's even a little thicker than the cover that comes with the PBC. It has lightened significantly in the past year due to UV damage, but no fraying or anything.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here