Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pimping up my grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pimping up my grill

Hi guys, so I've been pimping up my 22" Performer. The gas starter wasn't working so I removed it and installed the pit viper using the hole.

Now, I want to put a probe port (The Smokey mountain one). Since I don't use the lid thermometer at all, I was wondering if removing it and using the hole for the grommet would work... What worries me is the temperature the grill can reach with some cooks.

Using the SnS for anything... Direct grilling, indirect, smoking, etc.

What do you guys think?

Feeding a probe through the lid could be problematic whenever you open the lid.

I recommend drilling a hole at grate level, filing the edges of said hole and using that to feed the probes through.

That being said....I have no idea what the SM port is, so take what I say with a grain of salt

Comment

Agreed with Loren that opening the lid would be problematic. There’s just enough room but using a step drill I drilled a hole just above grate level in the kettle and it works great. I believe the hole for the rubber grommet on a WSM is 1-1/4”, at least the pack I bought was

Attached Files

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        klflowers I really do like it and have no regrets on putting a hole in my grill. I went back and forth on going above the grate or below. My thought was having it above means I wouldn't have to fish the probes up through the grate but if you need to move the grate mid cook you may run into a little interference.
        Below you'd have to fish them through but then again you can bring the probe up anywhere through the grate and not have them laying across the grate. Minor but something to consider

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm thinking below. I am used to that because the grommet is below the top grate on the wsm, and I use it all the time.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        If I had to do it again I'd probably do the same thing. Thankfully it's not a big issue either way. But I do need to put one in my WSM still. The model I have was before they included them.

I've gone under the lid for years, on my kettles, offset and pellet. I know, most "do it right or go home" folks are shaking their heads at me, but I'm a rebel who hasn't had to drill a hole in my cookers yet

Comment

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. I just can't bring myself to drill a hole in my kettles. I did buy an old kettle for $10 just so I could drill a hole to test the Billows but wouldn't do it for one of my regular kettles.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, it took me a long time to gather the guts to do it, especially since it was my Grandpa’s.

Thanks for your tips! I'll go with the hole on the side. thanks!

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I was meaning to reply here. If I did it again I'd put the hole under the cooking grate as Troutman said. Only reason is I put my rotisserie attachment on an and there was some interference there. It ended up fitting but it was snug.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here