Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber or Broil King smoke grill 500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber or Broil King smoke grill 500?

I want a charcoal grill. I have it narrowed down to the Weber Performer or Broil King smoke grill 500. Will primarily do grilling with maybe a little smoking. Broil King gets me about 200 more square inches, but the Weber is a Weber. Any help?

I have no experience with the BK, but there are a ton of accessories for the Weber, and I do love my Performer with the gas assist lighting.

Comment

• painter
      painter commented
      Editing a comment
      What RonB said

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 here, without gas assist. Add an SnS and EasySpin grate and you're off to the races!!

I don’t have experience with either despite currently owning two Weber grills... (Summit Charcoal & Gasser)
    Not familiar with the BK so I had a look...and it looks decent...and extra real estate is always welcome. Almost no one says, "I wish I purchased a smaller grill."

OTOH, there are NUMEROUS add-ons/accessories available for the kettle...for several styles of cooking.
    Massive amounts of versatility with those.

My other charcoal grill is a Dyna-Glo Dual Zone Premium that I use much like a Santa Maria Grill. For that it works. As a smoker? Not so much. (Actually...not at all.) It leaks pretty much everywhere & in every direction and low temps are well nigh impossible. But, as a two-zone grill it works fine.

If I were looking for versatility...one of the kettle variations would be hard to pass up. There’s a reason why they’ve been faves for so many people over the years.

Comment

Are you looking at the Weber 22” or the 26”? I’d go with the 26” for more real estate.

Comment

22 only because of the table option. If they had a 26 with a table then yes, I agree.

Comment

A 26 and a SS table is a great option to consider.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180918_192209.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	793413

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180213_183423.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	793414

Last edited by Attjack; January 19, 2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• AverageJoe
            AverageJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah I see your little man does the same thing mine does when I am grilling LOL. Acting uninterested. I wish they could talk lol. I have a feeling Abram would say "I'm a good boy. I like food. You don't need all that."

Not a bad idea at all. Thanks!

Comment

How many people are you going to be feeding? MAXIMUM how many people?

I’ve never felt maxed out on a 22” Weber, but I usually cook for two, sometimes for four or six, and once in a while for 8 or more. Overflow goes to the BGE.

The gas assist on the Performer is worth every cent.

I don’t know anything about the Broil King. On the one hand I trust the company; on the other hand I am wary of grills that take the general shape of the one in question. Caveat emptor.

Comment

I have experience with the Broil King gas lineup, but not with their charcoal grills. I like their build quality. I would agree with Attjack , and recommend going with the Weber 26" kettle with a separate table. I love my Weber 26.

Comment

Minimum 4 people on any given day. Max is tough to say but 4 minimum which makes me lean toward a bigger grill.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You probably can’t go wrong with either, but if you choose Weber then go with the 26. The extra space will be worth more than the gas start.

I really like my Performer with the gas assist.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here