Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Kettle Grill Temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Kettle Grill Temps

I love my Weber kettle grill for everyday grilling. But I've bee trying to figure out about how many coals (Kingsford Original) briquettes to use to get any certain temperature.

If I were to use one of those briquette chimney starters like Weber says to do, heck my grill would easily goes to 500Ëš in no time. Even with all the vents closed. Even when I use a quarter of that, the temp still goes up over 300 in no time. Even with the indirect cooking I do it still is just too hot.

Are there any kind of guidelines that indicate how approximately how many briquettes it would take for any given temp? Sometimes I would like to smoke smaller things in my Weber but the heat is so much of an issue.

Anyone know how to address this issue?

What temp are you trying to hit? What are you trying to do?

If you load the starter and dump it into the grill unlit you can light a corner of the coals with a cube and slowly let the temp rise. Then shut down the vents to control temps.

If you dump a fully ignited chimney full of coals into the grill it will get hot real fast.

Comment

The trick is to not light all the coals. About a dozen lit coals added to one side of a bunch of coals should do. You then control the temp by adjusting the vents. This is where an SnS does a great job by keeping the briquettes in place so not too many light at once.

Comment

This is something I really struggled with when I first started using my kettle. It does not take much to get that thing hot! With my vents half open, 30 lit briquets will get me to 300 +/-25. To go lower/longer, the magic number seems to be 12-15 lit briquets that feed a snake of unit ones.

Comment

Get a slow n sear.

Comment

I read something this year, that the amount of lit coals lit at the beginning is what you can expect in temps. I rarely light more then 7-11 coals that then set on top of coals that will run my fire for how ever many hours I need it to run near that temp. Let us know how it is going for you.

Comment

These are detailed instructions on how to light a slow and sear. the principle is the same even if you are just piling the coals on one side of the kettle.

How to light a Slow 'N Sear® in a Charcoal Kettle Grill with detailed instructions for roasting, baking, high heat, or low and slow.

Comment

• tmelosi
                tmelosi commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the link. My SNS arrived about a week ago and can't wait to try it out.

This should help: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...ill-smoking-or

Comment

• MarkN
                MarkN commented
                Editing a comment
                Whether using a SNS or simply a "C" around the perimeter (as shown in the article), I found that if I start about a dozen pieces of charcoal placed at one end, I get a nice slow burning 225 to 250 degree fire.  Works much better for me than piling hot coals onto unlit coals. More than 12 charcoals and I get to 300 degrees in no time.

Originally posted by Max Good View Post
              That, plus some of the articles linked to it are good information. I guess I was looking for an 'easy' way out. Once in a while I get like that.

I'm trying to reach and maintain my grill to 225F for much of my smoking. I would also like to be able to reach and maintain 325 and 350. I think the 'Dry Run' idea is what I will have to do. I thought of it before doing that but both times I thought since I had my grill going I might as well cook something! Oh well. I'm going to wait until the spring to do my dry runs. I think I'll keep a log of the outdoor temp, time it took to reach the temp, how long it stayed there, etc.

Also, I tried the snake method twice and for some reason (probably due to operator error), it didn't work for me. I'll try it again the next time. Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll let you know next spring how it goes.

Comment

I use ~12-15 briquettes to get things started and pretty much haver to have the top and bottom vents closed off (at least in the summer) to keep it at 225. I know there's a lot of SnS fans out there, however I have the Weber charcoal baskets and think they work just as good for the most part. If they ever wear out I'll try the SnS.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                I've got the Weber baskets as well. They work to a point, but their limitation when smoking is the size - they don't hold a lot of coals, less than a half chimney probably, so you have to refuel every couple of hours. The SnS lets me get a good nights sleep, as I run from 8 to 12 hours on a load of charcoal with it.

• Razor
                Razor commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s a good point, that’s probably why I only do short smokes on the kettle and the longer ones on the WSM. 😂

I like to use the snake method. No special equipment required and it works great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aymkByv758EFsBCj4y7QUgITQsc16QyyFXR6-olN917GXFB7QK1I5Mdw44XE58qXgG6oxhSu4XrPKqo9MCMIlthlyG3i3L0r2oCDwFCaQw877C4p88a536bPFXa0SrKfezz4wL45UGiFMOgYQ3PSjzz6kRvpyJ89xqoAcTLGmUp1N0Fd12sb6KTc8qP8gRnCzHBK0PMe8tla-inC0X9-y1_nRmSPgFn2RHPxeWVYW23lZ6cjN6gXZc82bNAyBRZ
Views:	433
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	780862

Name:	RLdIEESvSmp1ZCT5gO1o_rpOWoGdjeZxSrcqzyPNLbQz6sWp9uAX4z4xyD6opdij_B1nSNYMWvPcO8Bxq5NyQVhn0ClHZbdIQfBNcm5-WT0z2dTiroEPNFlt-ia1hb5CPej_k8mGEyUlkyWrA5ebmUqih6LXfAPIkYqyxyj3jqcEyp-WskE-oHCwHEBw6Aop5jwEVxMuICeNKhFYEWM1FOXWZy6_Ew2nDdIRiw5XzMxEvf5n6OKbcKojfSi6WY9
Views:	396
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	780863

Comment

The only time I use a fully lit chimney is with the vortex or using the SnS for hot and fast with half a load of briquettes.

Comment

RichieB I also use a full lit chimney banked to one side for general grilling.

Name:	sbhL763BnPm14Rs349ibBxYLCrH2rF2uoWPKR8jtxs3ikYd3wJVlSwhp6y5Y6-0IuxRH_hby3_WHo8bw7_gdwyCMm8AQthZ_ib5iIy3V4LbzGw7ZOe8lWyxdwX67jwJIwzH3Nj_ycTbwk-sZcSAbuPJFcuWcoJdLh7E6rRiBqHJZFAlLiafNwxeoIHeL2iHce0UkTEhBO2HROIbhXl_JBrSRakR1DhwsDyfMJrUDB-839GkKEKss27QVgBfF-D8
Views:	438
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	780871

Name:	cXFrgHCMnClHULmYU8AXCmD_9hQIY7M4msTLmg_NHndT3CnMpwq_8vcI9TOvaV8BXW5X17IcFHJZFiCISW5wN5HWvPF00hVYnEZ-uUb3hu5REQkYCP4xgIhfkHy-mhfQeb10a8vR4mdtV90C3wkCv6hSmZ255eGGeP84DL3rkxSusZtq91cJGfWwk7i1LtXucZIYgi3qfeJt9Yan6TwEgzL7I1QLgHodqbxMq0gLGcNrwUQy-jMKyhJPkbhMmDs
Views:	433
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	780872

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Romaine hearts seasoned and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic.

• Razor
                    Razor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks interesting. How long do you leave them on?

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not long at all just enough to get a light char.

Attjack I think we're on the same wave length. I love the SnS! Use it for the low n slow and general grilling. Another words, unless using the vortex the SnS is the main cooking tool for the Kettle. I find it easier to control the cook and IMO clean up is a bit easier. I've used your method a few times. It works I prefer the coals contained. I've also used the baskets that came with the cooker. I do like them too. Especially for chicken. Where each on either side and bird in the middle.
                  Last edited by RichieB; December 19, 2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here