Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter cooking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter cooking!

Not technically winter yet but it's plenty cold in Calgary and a good blanket of snow on the ground. But the tide waits for no man, nor does a craving for a bacon wrapped sirloin roast. This was the first time taking my BBQ Guru PartyQ out on a real world test and while it does have its limitations (namely, cooking in extreme cold), it worked great. Definitely learned several lessons and I have every expectation that next time will be even better (though I have no complaints about this first run).

Roast is a ~3 lb sirloin tip, wrapped in bacon (some of it came off as you can tell while slicing so I just sort of piled it up on top on the serving plate, it was just a lazy Sunday dinner with the family). Done on a 22" kettle with the aforementioned PartyQ, which took just over 3 hours (had to fiddle with it a bit and when I took the lid off to baste the temp took a pretty serious dive that took some time to recover to due to the ambient temp outside. Probably not as big an issue in warm weather). No special spices, just salt/pepper/garlic, applied directly to the beef the night before, then bacon was wrapped over it, and basted with garlic butter.once while cooking and once after it was taken off. Rested 25-30 mins and off we went. Super juicy, really great stuff. Got a little left over for sandwiches tomorrow too.

Don't let the cold weather get you down! BBQ will fill your soul. And guts.
    Attached Files

Good to hear nothing stands between you and your cooker.
    Good job Sir.

Comment

Good job.

Comment

Congratulations on a successful winter weather cook! The meat looks perfect. And what isn't better when wrapped in bacon? Great job.

Comment

• adamcoe
          adamcoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I've been using the Meater thermometers for a while now and they nail it every time. No guesswork, and you can really nail down the timing while you're preparing your sides and whatnot.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to hear the Meater is working out for you. For the longest time it seemed like it was never going to materialize.

• adamcoe
          adamcoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah no shit eh? I funded it fairly early and it was just a joke, for months upon months. That being said they do work very well and I'm glad I finally have my hands on em.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here