Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look What Landed Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey on the SCG came out great
    Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfecto.

K.

Cooked duck breasts on the WSCG last night using the Lodge 17 inch pan I bought last month on sale. It fits perfectly. For the set up I put the fire grate in the low position. I used the two Weber charcoal baskets pushed together upside down in the center under the hole in the cooking grate. I put the vortex small side down and filled it with charcoal. The larger opening was better for the big 17 inch pan. This raised the coals higher but the vortex was sitting just under the cooking grate (it will poke through the center if the fire grate is in the top position).
    its hard to see in the picture but it worked great.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc I loosely followed Gordon Ramsey's technique. Put duck in cold pan skin down. Put on the fire and let pan heat up rendering the fat. On the grill over the Vortex it was hotter so I had to keep flipping it every minute and a half or so. Cooked about 12 minutes total. I didn't measure the charcoal I just filled up the Vortex and used cubes and the ignition to start them. If I had to guess it was a chimney and a half. I did shut the vents. I will reuse any unburned coals.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh. Duh.There were no coals in the charcoal baskets on the lower grate...they were just used to give the right height to prop up the Vortex so you could use the Lodge 17" pan with it. Correct? Sorry to sound so dense, but it's a bit hard to make out the photo.

Nice score on that Lodge pan, BTW. I may have to look into that. Thanks!

Kathryn

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      "There were no coals in the charcoal baskets on the lower grate...they were just used to give the right height to prop up the Vortex so you could use the Lodge 17" pan with it. Correct?"

Exactly. They were upside down and empty. I used them just to raise the height of the Votrtex. Worked out great.

Mmmm... duck, and those look great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here